Frequent Contributor

Need advice for my strange nieghbor

So I have many cats in my yard. Some feral, some not. Now some kittens.
My nieghbor in an apartment across the street thinks it's ok for her 5 year old daughter to come in my yard, snatch a kitten or 2 and then bring it back a day or 2 later. If I catch her, I yell at her to put the kitten down and get out of my yard. She even tries to catch my feral cats. At one time she told me one of my cats tried to bite her. All I said was well, yeah. He knows you have no business trying to pick it up.
I always thought you were suppose to teach your kids not to touch strange animals.

A month ago I had 4 kittens (2 months old) disappear from my porch. One minute they were there and then gone. I couldn't figure out how they could all disappear at once. I put fliers up around the neighborhood. People called about the kittens I had advertised and I had to tell them I no longer had them. 2 days ago my neighbor comes over and says she has some of my kittens. I was confused. So I went over and the four kittens that had disappeared were in her living room. Along with 2 other kittens that as of the night before was being nursed by their momma.
She had a few explainations.....Her daughter was getting too attatched to them. They are not allowed cats in the building, (and my favorite) she was afraid they'd get hit by a car so she took them in. So I took them back, relieved they were ok but still puzzled.
Because I have so many cats (and a huge yard) most of my cats are outside. But all these kittens are now inside and the little girl is in the road looking over here. Which I know from the past that she is waiting for a cat to appear that she can snatch and take home. I am so tired of constently looking out the window for fear one or more of my cats will disappear again.
Anyone have any ideas on how to keep this family out of my yard.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need advice for my strange nieghbor

The only way to protect your pets from ALL dangers (including other animals, cars, and people) is to supervise them or have them safely in the house (or contained in specific area). Allowing them to congregate (and breed) in one area is just asking for trouble.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Tell them that what they are doing is trespassing and theft,that it's against the law and that the next time that they come onto your property and take any of your kittens or cats you're going to call the police and press charges against the entire family.

You didn't state as to whether or not your yard is fenced in. If it isn't I suggest that you do so ASAP (with NO TRESPASSING signs attached to it) and make sure that the fence is high enough so that the creepy little girl can't see over it. It will also protect all of the cats that you have in your yard and keep them safe.

I also agree with everything that Crazy Daisy wrote in her post.

I have four kitties...all rescues..and all of them stay inside 24/7.

------------------------------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^= {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Respected Contributor

Strange indeed. I can not understand the parent thinking it is OK to keep someone's kittens for a month and then comes to you after you had posters up and everything. I of course would consider keeping them out except that it really sounds like the girl is interested and you have an opportunity to educate her. I believe children need to be taught how to behave around animals. What if you could set up one supervised visit a week with the girl and you could show her how to treat the kitties while educating her on the differences with the ferals. She would look forward to her weekly visits and see you as a compassionate person and you would be teaching her how to act around kitties and ferals. You could explain to her that if she comes when not invited that she will lose her kitty time. She may be a future veterinarian.

I can not understand at all the parent keeping these animals for a month. That is just beyond me. I think the child is interested in animals and wants to learn about them.

doxie

Respected Contributor

I think I will not be popular with my suggestion. I do think parents need to teach their children about strange animals but if it is not happening then I am willing to do what I can. I get the feeling that this girl loves the cats and is interested in them. It does not sound like she means harm. What she did is wrong and I blame the parent for keeping them for a month. I wonder if she spoke up because she was afraid of getting caught with them in the apartment. How big is the street between you?

I do agree with the others that if you want to keep your kitties safe from others you would have to keep them inside or supervised.

doxie

Honored Contributor

Too many cats is an issue.

The more you press this with the neighbors, the more likely you will soon have a visit from the Humane Society.

You need to keep cats indoors where they are safe and sound.

And too many cats is a nuisance and generally breaks zoning laws.

I know you love them all and care for them...but I'd be careful about escalating anything with the neighbors.

Super Contributor

On 7/20/2014 CrazyDaisy said:

The only way to protect your pets from ALL dangers (including other animals, cars, and people) is to supervise them or have them safely in the house (or contained in specific area). Allowing them to congregate (and breed) in one area is just asking for trouble.

Agreed, but I also think the neighbor family's behavior is creepy, as well as wrong. I can just picture "the little girl is in the road looking over here", and it isn't a pleasant one!

Trusted Contributor

If you have cats loose outside your home, they are likely to wander. Who says your cats and kittens don't visit your across-the-street neighbors on their own? Curious kittens especially can get into all kinds of trouble. And a yard full of cute cat and kittens may qualify as an almost irresistible attraction for a young child. I hope all of these animals you're feeding and claiming have had rabies shots, because if they bite the little girl or someone else, your liability could be enormous. It sounds to me like you have too many poorly supervised cats and aren't recognizing the problems that can come with that when you live near a busy street and close to neighbors. Fences should help to keep neighbors out -- but they DO NOT keep cats in.

Super Contributor

put a fence up with a gate and a sign

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/20/2014 Sabatini2 said:
On 7/20/2014 CrazyDaisy said:

Agreed, but I also think the neighbor family's behavior is creepy, as well as wrong. I can just picture "the little girl is in the road looking over here", and it isn't a pleasant one!

Cannot imagine any 5 year old child has creepy. Children will often look and watch things they are interested.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.