Esteemed Contributor

Paging KittyMomNC about Baby Cat - possible solution

Hi KittyMom,

Just this morning I looked at my own Rx of amlodipine, and noticed that it is very different than the tab Schmoo took. Mine is a standard white pill with no coating or "sheen" -- it's white -- and is 5 mg. The one he had and Baby Cat had is 2.5 and has that impossible sheen/coating to cut.

To experiment, I used his old pill cutter to take mine and cut it into quarters (that's what you'd need for Baby Cat... 1/4 of a 5 mg tab) and it was a breeze. Mine is filled at WalMart -- so I'm wondering if it would be the easiest solution for you to discuss with your vet.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Paging KittyMomNC about Baby Cat - possible solution

Thanks, sammycat. I will definitely ask my vet about that. She's been on the blood pressure med now for at least a month, so I think I will ask them to check her pressure again maybe next week and see if it's down to an acceptable level. If not, then maybe the 5mg cut into quarters would be better. The other possibility would be cutting the 2.5 just in half (if that could even be done accurately)- either way, it would double her dose. If I could at least get the 5mg cut more accurately, I could always chip off a little bit if we thought that would be too high a dose. I feel like it would be more accurate than what I'm trying to do now. I take the pieces and put them beside a whole pill, and try to determine how much would be closest to a quarter. I get these at Costco, and I haven't asked them if they could cut them. That would be an easy solution if they would - the med is not that expensive. If I had to pay a little extra for that service, it would be worth it.

Thanks again for the advice. I'll let you know what happens. Have a great day!

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/19/2014 kittymomNC said:

Thanks, sammycat. I will definitely ask my vet about that. She's been on the blood pressure med now for at least a month, so I think I will ask them to check her pressure again maybe next week and see if it's down to an acceptable level. If not, then maybe the 5mg cut into quarters would be better. The other possibility would be cutting the 2.5 just in half (if that could even be done accurately)- either way, it would double her dose. If I could at least get the 5mg cut more accurately, I could always chip off a little bit if we thought that would be too high a dose. I feel like it would be more accurate than what I'm trying to do now. I take the pieces and put them beside a whole pill, and try to determine how much would be closest to a quarter. I get these at Costco, and I haven't asked them if they could cut them. That would be an easy solution if they would - the med is not that expensive. If I had to pay a little extra for that service, it would be worth it.

I have a friend who gets her meds at Costco and they cut them up for her all the time -- no charge. Worth a try!

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/19/2014 Sammycat1 said:
On 7/19/2014 kittymomNC said:

I have a friend who gets her meds at Costco and they cut them up for her all the time -- no charge. Worth a try!

Thank you - I will ask!