Esteemed Contributor

Can someone recommend a good quality dog treat?

That is safe for my 7 year old Lab? Would appreciate it as I think I just had a bad batch. TIA. LM
Respected Contributor

Re: Can someone recommend a good quality dog treat?

I'm suspicious of commercial dog treats. The better treats are expensive too.

I use small pieces of string cheese. The dog isn't offended if it's small, he's just happy to get something.

I also pick up those small bags of quality dog food samples at my pet store and use that kibble as treats.

That said, I'm not too crazy about treats and use them only for good behavior like coming when called or being a good boy for his teeth brushing.

You can use string beans if weight is an issue, and carrots work too.

Super Contributor

Just make some treats yourself. Peanut butter balls are easy. Put some peanut butter in a bowl, mix in enough flour to get the consistency dry enough to roll into balls. Keep them in the fridge. I use rice flour because wheat is one of the many things my DDB is allergic to. In addition to being a great treat, they're great to hide a pill in. I think next time I'm going to use canned pumpkin instead of peanut butter and see how that works out. I already make pumpkin cookies for my dogs and they love those.
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks. Keep the suggestions coming pls. I will probably try to do some homemade but would like a store bought alternative as well.
Trusted Contributor

We buy nutro dog food and nutro pet treats which our vet recommended, no extra food coloring in them and it doesn't irritate their skin and ears. We also have a lab. We buy the milkbone minis for after teeth brushing. They are only 5 calories each and he loves them.

Trusted Contributor

On 7/8/2014 wahoogaz said:I already make pumpkin cookies for my dogs and they love those.

Could you share your recipe??

Esteemed Contributor

I found these organic dog treats for my German Shepherd at a local pet store that were very good. When they no longer carried them I started to order direct from the website. They almost always have a $5.00 flat shipping rate. The ingredients are just like you were making it yourself. I think the prices are reasonable and the quantity is as well. I've been pleased that they offer bulk pricing and sample size in most all of their selections. The name of the company is WetNoses.

Super Contributor

Sam's Yams. Great chew and they are made in the USA from sweet potatoes. My dog loves them-healthy and low fat.

Super Contributor

On 7/9/2014 deb5555 said:
On 7/8/2014 wahoogaz said:I already make pumpkin cookies for my dogs and they love those.

Could you share your recipe??

Sure ...

29 oz. canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)

24 oz. brown rice flour

1/2 T. baking powder

2 T. olive oil

2 1/2 T. blackstrap molasses

Combine pumpkin, olive oil, molasses and baking powder in a bowl and mix. (HINT: do the olive oil in the measuring spoon first, then the molasses - makes it much easier to get the molasses out of the spoon.)

Add flour a little at a time to make sure everything is mixed well.

Spoon the mix onto a baking sheet and use you fingers to flatten the mix into the size cookie you want (final cookie size will be a little smaller than the raw mix).

Bake at 350-degrees for 30-33 minutes.

Keep cookies refrigerated (remember - no preservatives in these).

This makes a big batch ... would last my crew of 4 two weeks getting 2 each every day. Now that we're down to 2 dogs - I sometimes freeze some of the cookies.

Esteemed Contributor

Great suggestions. Thanks so much! Wahoogaz, I'm going to try that recipe! Nene, where do you buy the yam treats? I will look for them here (Canada) and in the US next time I'm there. I am trying to avoid treats and foods with a lot of 'fillers'. LM