Frequent Contributor

Question re: senior male dog

We have a neutered senior male lab mix that we adopted in 2012. We think he's at least 8 years old if not older. He just had his bi-annual senior check up with the vet including annual blood work and everything was fine. Yesterday, we noticed that he had some leakage and it's not urine - it's clear. Have any of your dogs experienced this? I will call the vet if it continues. Nothing has changed with his eating/sleeping habits, personality, etc. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Question re: senior male dog

I've had two dogs in my life, both male. Sometimes they dribble when they get older. If he experiences urgency to tinkle and then goes outside and doesn't make much - could be a urinary tract infection.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Frequent Contributor

Thank you Bird mama for your response. I will certainly keep an eye on him.

Respected Contributor

My son has a 10 year old Pom, who tinkles throughout the day. He works and was tired of shampooing the carpet frequently, so tried to put her in diapers - no go. The vet told him that as dogs get older, like humans, they start losing control of their bladder.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, we had this happen with our collie when he was old. It was the sign of 2 things: inability to hold urine and the beginning of kidney failure. What he leaked was urine -- it was so pale because his kidneys lost the ability to "concentrate" it and get the toxins out like they normally do. A change in diet and making sure he had more than usual trips outside to do the deed helped him a lot. Doc also gave him meds to help with the incontinence and he did very well after that.

Good luck!

Frequent Contributor

Thanks to all for your replies. I appreciate it very much. I will definitely keep a close watch on Jake.

Super Contributor

There is medication for this, but some here think I am horrible for giving it to my dog when she became incontinent. Premarin, the female hormone, but I'm not sure if male dogs would be able to take it. My dog mattered more to me than the way they obtain it from horses.