Regular Contributor
I currently have a doggie door installed in my sliding door at my home. I am wondering if there is such a thing as a doggie door for an outside storm door? This is what I have at my summer cottage and I'd really like to install the same type of door there as I have for my dogs at home so they will be able to still continue with letting their selves in and out. My husband does not want to cut a hole in the house to install a doggie door as we have a old house with a block outside wall and this just is not something we will do. So if you have any other suggestions for this type of thing I would really appreciate it.
Super Contributor

Are you talking about an aluminum storm door? I think it can be done but I would hire a professional. The door that our dog door is in had a storm door but we removed it and put the dog door in the steel regular door. Also if the storm door was wood it would be easy to install. With either wood or aluminum you will have a stabilization problem because you will be removing a big part of the only solid part of a storm door. Might need to do some reinforcement around the dog door and edges of storm door. That being said, I love dog doors. Can't imagine having a dog without them. I think the dogs are less stressed also as they know they can go out to potty when they need to instead of trying to attract some humans attention.

Honored Contributor

There are a ton of different kinds, everything from ones for walls to windows to glass ect. They have a section for storm doors. Have you checked here http://www.petdoors.com

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

we have a doggy door in our storm door that goes out into the fenced in(locked gate) back yard. The door has to have enough solid aluminum on the bottom for the door to fit in although now they even sell the storm doors that already have one built into them.Ours has glass on the top 3/4 of the door and the bottom is heavy aluminum with solid wood between but any size door will do as long as there is room for it.

My husband put ours in 15 or 20 years ago, still like new and our 3 dogs love it, had 6 dogs when he put it in. The door goes right from our family room(first floor and part of the house) into the fenced in back yard.