Respected Contributor

How much A/C does a puppy need?

One of my friends has a new puppy (a Westie). She drives him to a local park so he can take a walk. The whole time the walk is going on, she keeps her van running so that the dog can immediately get a/c when the walk is over.

Quite frankly, I think this sounds ridiculous. Am I wrong?

Honored Contributor

Re: How much A/C does a puppy need?

I personally think it's unsafe for the car. She must not like her van. Bet someone else will soon though.

A tip you may want to give to her: when my dog was young and I had her outside for a while in the heat, bring a small spritz bottle. She can spray the dog down occasionally and keep him/her cool that way. No need to drench them but a cool spray and slightly damp coat does the trick. If she needs to, she can always get a towel for her seats although she doesn't sound too worried about it.

I'm kind of with you but puppies and babies...say nothing. You'll stay happier. Smile

Respected Contributor

I don't know about the law where she is, but it's illegal here to keep an unattended vehicle running (pets don't count).

Regardless, I don't think it's safe. Also, if it's that hot, she should consider the dog's paws on that hot pavement.

What worries you masters you.
Respected Contributor

It is against the law here too. I think the spray bottle would work better at cooling. If it is that hot outside then it may not be the best time to exercise your pet. I think that dogs cool off by panting since they do not sweat so the putting in air conditioning would not cool them as fast as it does with people.

I do not think you are crazy because it may be illegal, is a temptation to be taken and it does not cool the dog quickly. The heat is scary for animals and people so I understand the owners concern but they may do better to not exercise the dog when it is that hot.

doxie

Honored Contributor

Aside from the possible breaking of the law or the theft risk, it sounds to me like your friend has heard all the horror stories about dogs dying in hot cars and she's going overboard to make sure the car doesn't get hot. If it's that hot during the day she might be better off taking her dog to walk early in the day or in the evening. If that's not possible, I like the spray bottle idea. Furthermore, what's wrong with her just walking the pup around her block or around her own yard a few times? As a little puppy, I can't imagine his walks to be all that long yet anyway.

Super Contributor

I can appreciate her concern for her dog. But this is a perfect example of wasteful consumption of our resources. They are not unlimited, even though so many people act like they are.

{#emotions_dlg.glare}

Honored Contributor

An idling car with the A/C running can easily overheat. When traffic is stop 'n go on freeways, you'll often see cars that overheated pulled off to the side. The heat in a car is no more uncomfortable for a pup than it is for a person. You turn it on when you start up and it's soon cooling adequately for man or dog.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

That is ridiculous. As if we don't have enough air pollution from cars in actual use.

Is she walking him at high noon in Phoenix? Whatever.....She can take a portable pan and some water for the pup to drink. He'll be fine in the car when the walk is over. If she thinks he's overheating, she should walk early, early or late evening, or in shade places.

Honored Contributor

I think it is wonderful someone cares this much about the safety and comfort of their animal, but it is overkill. She is wasting fuel, it is hard on the car if it is running for more than just a couple of minutes, and may be disturbing others in the parking area who are having to put up with the exhaust fumes while they are getting in and out of their cars, or sitting and waiting on someone.

This could be dangerous if she is not locking the car when she leaves it. Children have been known to get in running cars and put them in gear. My son's grade school had a very strict policy about no running cars left unattended in the parking lot for safety reasons. And I'd imagine anywhere you have dogs, you are going to have kids around too.