Frequent Contributor

FIREWORKS AND PETS, ANY SOLUTIONS?

The community we live in goes completely overboard on the 4th of July and beyond, our sheltie will go berserk, we have given him vet prescribed medicine that really did nothing, I tried Bach homeopathic rescue remedy for dogs and it had the opposite effect. We have been given a tranquilizer to try this time. I dread it and worry about his well being taking this. I picked up a "calming aid" by NaturVetNaturals at the pet store today in a soft chew formula. Has anyone heard of these or tried and found something that will help during this weekend from you know where.

Respected Contributor

Re: FIREWORKS AND PETS, ANY SOLUTIONS?

I'm sorry to hear it scares your doggie that much. I've come to despise this holiday simply because of the idiots blowing everything up.

Rescue Remedy can be over-ridden by both animals & people if they are already excited. Try giving your new chews well in advance of the fireworks. Then continue the chews according to directions. It's so nice to see you trying the natural route (I do, too!)

I use a few Newton Homeopathic remedies with great success. If you have a high-end pet store nearby, they may have the brand. Here is the link to the remedy for anxiety...

http://www.newtonlabs.net/Pets-NervousnessFear/productinfo/P016/

Respected Contributor

Forgot to mention that I buy my Newton remedies online at Only Natural Pet. Here's the link to that...

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Newton-Homeopathics-Nervousness-Fear/161005.aspx

Honored Contributor

I haven't had to use anything for our dog. If you're concerned about the tranquilizer, maybe you can just give him half? I've read that you shouldn't really play into the dog's fears by coddling them. Rather, you're supposed to interact in a positive way or turn up the tv/music that will drown out the noise

One thing I'm big on is keeping the dogs home and not bringing them to any fireworks display. I think dog owners need to be respectful of the fact that there are people out there who do not like animals and don't want to be bothered by them. That would be bad enough, but then for the noises to potentially make the dog nervous or hyper (and perhaps bolt or bite), well, that's just a recipe for potential disaster. For everyone's safety and best interest, please keep the dogs home!

Frequent Contributor

Thank you golden for your link to Newton Labs. I did not know they had remedies for pets, I actually use this brand myself ( with amazing results ) for ringing in the ears, I had to order it, as my local health food store stopped selling it. As for trying to drown out the noise we are surrounded very closely by several neighbors who set these off, and that just won't work, but thank you any way for that idea.

Honored Contributor

My cat is scared of thunder. The strange things is that he just became frightened of it about a year or so ago, and I've had him for over seven years. He likes to curl up at the bottom of the stairs which doesn't seem like a secure area {#emotions_dlg.confused1} but he seems to think so. He won't budge from there so I just let him do what makes him feel better. Years ago we had a dog that hated fireworks and kept us up barking all night every time someone would set them off. I dreaded it. Nothing we did ever worked.

Valued Contributor

Hi share, glad to meet another Sheltie person! I would stay home inside with the windows shut and the drapes closed with fans or a/c going. I don't know if you've ever tried the Thundershirts but it does seem to calm down my girl (mainly because I'm a slow poke getting it in her, lol) Also, giving one capsule of Benedryl also has a coming effect without any heavy drugs. My vet ok'd this.
Honored Contributor

I'd try the Thundershirt before I tranquilized my pet.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Super Contributor

Get your dog some ear safe ear protection:

Mutt Muffs Dog Ear Plugs

http://www.petexpertise.com/dog-safety/mutt-muffs-hearing-protection-for-dogs.html

These Mutt Muffs (pictured), a Thundershirt and a Feliway Plug in Diffuser for Dogs might just do the trick.

Happy 4th. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Thundershirt- yes!

In addition to the natural meds, try one of these shirts. I have one for my Golden rescue & it worked amazingly well for his anxiety. They probably sell them at local stores like Petsmart.