Super Contributor

best litter for odor control?

Although I clean solids from the pan quickly after a deposit is made and I clear liquid clumps many times during the day there is still a slight pan odor in the house. The pans are completely cleaned once a week. Unfortunately there is no basement for the pans, so they are in one of the bathrooms. Is there a clumping litter that really contains the smells? We have used Precious Cat and Nature's Miracle clumping, neither was great for the job. The Nature's Miracle pine litter was a total fail, one cat would not use it for pooping, instead he would leave the pile outside the pan. I am also concerned about the dust issue, Tidy Cat Light was horrible, dust everywhere in our two story house.

Maybe the pans need to be replaced? They have been in use for 18 months, that is not long at all. I clean them with either Murphy's or XO, whichever is handy at the time.

Super Contributor

Re: best litter for odor control?

I recommend World's Best. The one in the black bag with green NOT red. I've used many different brands over a lot of years. So far, that is my favorite. Good luck!
Valued Contributor

Fresh Step is very good at controlling odors, but it is dusty. No matter what they claim, all of the clumping litters are dusty. I don't think anyone wants to go back to clay litter and the only other non-dusty litters I know of are Feline Pine (original, not the clumping version) and Yesterday's News, which is made from recycled paper. As you probably know, they aren't the best at controlling odors of solids.

Since they are all dusty and I am able to put the litter boxes in what I call the cat room (it is supposed to be my office/crafting room) I use Worlds Best because at least it isn't supposed to be toxic if it is on their paws and I don't find it as dusty as others. I don't really know if the other dust is toxic, there is a lot of literature and conjecture saying both yea and nay and I think dust of any kind is not good.

I think if odor control is your primary concern, I would try Fresh Step.

BTW, I don't believe your pans need to be replaced. I've had mine for years and they clean up just fine. I always smell the bottom and there is never an odor and it sounds like you clean yours often and well. I bought the large boxes that Lowe's carries b/c they are large, a pretty sage green and only $10.00.

If you find the perfect litter (no dust, great odor control), let us know!! It might be out there, I've tried many but definitely not all. If $$ is a big concern, you can get 42 pounds of Fresh Step at Sam's Club for $14.47 and WalMart sometimes has special packs of 38 pounds for around $12.00, plus Fresh Step has a points program. Both Fresh Step and Worlds Best have coupons pretty easily available. Good luck!!

Honored Contributor

Tidy Cat Breeze litter system. You need to buy their box, which holds pads underneath and litter pellets on top. You just scoop the solids, and the urine stays separate in the pad, which you change once a week. As with any other litter system, one box per cat + one extra is recommended.

I've been using it for a few years and really like it.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Valued Contributor

On 6/17/2014 grandkidsrgreat said: I recommend World's Best. The one in the black bag with green NOT red. I've used many different brands over a lot of years. So far, that is my favorite. Good luck!

Is that the Forest Green as opposed to the regular World's Best? I have never tried that and would like to know what does it smell like out of the bag? I know that people don't generally like the multi-cat (red bag) or lavender scented. Thanks!

Super Contributor

Just went and checked out the bag. It is mostly green with black. Says Worlds Best Cat Litter, clumping formula. Not scented - just the original I think. Little bit of odor when you first put it in pan but doesn't last. A little more expensive than some but it clumps well and seems to last a long time. Again...good luck!
Super Contributor

Like jaxs mom, I use the breeze system too but I have 5 cats so I change the pads every other day. I have 3 boxes around the house. No smell except for poo, but I can clean that up quickly. No dust either. My daughter has a breeze but she didn't want to buy the pellets so she uses dry beans. Seems to work well too.
Honored Contributor

I have 5 cats too. I use 7 litter boxes and change the pads weekly.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I find all of the clumping litters are pretty darn good at containing odors. I pretty much never smell anything from any of the pans. We have two cats and three pans and they get scooped out every morning. When I do smell something it's typically because our older cat has decided not to use the pan and use the sofa instead. (A quirk she picked up a few years ago that she only does on rare occasions, but it's a pain when she does it.) You might want to follow your nose to the smell and be sure it's coming from the pan. It's entirely possible one of your cats may be skipping the pan and using something else (houseplant, furniture, dog/cat bed, etc.) on occasion.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

After trying everything and I mean everything Tidy Cats red clumping is the best.Our litterbox is out in the open in the hallway and it never smells.People are always amazed,I scoop right away and scrub it every week and replace the litter but my baby can lay down the law and stink out Disney World and this stuff is amazing.

We do not remember days,we remember moments.
The Rainbow Bridge!!!