Trusted Contributor

I have a one-year-old Schnoodle. She has been extremely picky when it comes to eating just about all of her life. She sometimes will go 3 days without eating a full meal. She does get supplements, so she is not totally without any sustenance. Since February she has lost about 8 ounces, which my vet said is not alarming. My vet told also me that small breed dogs are notorious for being very, very picky eaters -- and that this could be a life-long issue for us.

I have tried countless brands and types of food, but she continues to be a very difficult eater. Does anyone have any suggestions for me that might help increase her appetite or at least make her enjoy food more? I am definitely at my wit's end.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Respected Contributor

Assuming your vet has checked her teeth and made sure she does not have dental issues causing pain, such as slab fractures of her carnassials or root abscesses, then a food line to try would be Taste of the Wild. They have several grain-free formulas with different protein sources that are all, so far as I can tell, very palatable to dogs. Another thing to consider, since your dog is a Toy breed size, is a line of freeze-dried raw such as Stella & Chewy's. When I had an elderly and ailing dog a couple of years ago, she would eat the re-hydrated raw Stella & Chewy's patties when she wouldn't touch anything else. For a large dog or multiple dogs buying pre-formulated raw foods is price-prohibitive for many, myself included, but for a single or small dog it might be just the ticket to keep her eating and very healthy!

Trusted Contributor

Thanks, CamilleP. We have actually given her Stella & Chewy's. She seemed to love it at first, but then, like everything, she just starts sniffing it and walking away. I feel like we've tried everything, but obviously we haven't. I'll certainly look into the Taste of the Wild you mentioned. Thanks for your response.

Respected Contributor

Wow, if she's turning down Stella & Chewy's, she IS picky. Is her bloodwork good? As a small breed I'd be concerned with the possibility of a liver shunt and early liver failure. If you haven't run recent bloodwork and your vet is amenable, I'd consider that if I were you.

Trusted Contributor

Fortunately, she is scheduled for her yearly checkup very soon. Hopefully we can find out if there is any problem, or if she is just plain picky! It's really frustrating. I have tried so hard to find something she will actually enjoy, but to no avail. It breaks my heart to think she may be hungry, but I can't force her to eat.

Super Contributor

Might try a raw diet. I get it at a grain and feed store. Hero inhales it. Just chicken patties especially for dogs. Gave some to a friend who has a springer who wouldn't eat and she gobbled it up.

Honored Contributor

Could she possibly have problems with digestion?

Valued Contributor

I have a little dog that I think I have tried everything in petsmart on! He is 1 1/2 yrs old. He hasn't went for 3 days ever but he only eats once a day & it is like he is being forced to eat whatever great food I happen to be trying on him! I have also had him checked out. Vet said he wont starve, he will eat when he gets hungry enough. Meantime my husband feels sorry for him so he feeds him whatever he is eating! So I think I am fighting a losing battle. I guess eventually he will pick a food! My husband says maybe I should try the cheaper foods just to see if he will eat that. But I just cant bring myself to go with the cheap ones. I keep holding out hoping that he will eventually give in! Good luck with your little one!

Trusted Contributor

Henny, sounds like we have the same problem with our dogs. It is very frustrating. I haven't given mine human food because I fear she will NEVER eat dog food if I do that. However, I won't say I haven't been tempted to do so.Wink I'm with you on the cheap food -- I haven't gone that route. Thanks for your good wishes. Good luck to you, too!!

Trusted Contributor
On 6/4/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

Could she possibly have problems with digestion? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Tinkrbl44, I just don't know. I have wondered the same thing. She goes for her yearly checkup soon, so I hope we can figure out if there is something wrong or if she's just plain old picky.