Respected Contributor

Best healthiest meaty dog food (not dry) for a small older dog?

We feed our little dog a little meaty dogfood in the AM and in the PM. After she gets her appetizer, then she fills up on her dry dog food. I get the dry dog food from the vets office.

Recently she was sick and I thought it was the meaty dog food I was giving her. I researched it and found bad reports. It ended up she wasn't sick from the dog food, but now I don't want to give that to her.

What do you suggest? I'd rather have small containers or cans since she doesn't eat much each day. I don't want to risk it getting old and don't want to mess with freezing it.

We live in the boondocks and only have a Walmart, so I'm assuming I'd have to order it online.

What do you suggest? And where would be the best place to purchase it?

Our dog is going to be 9 years old and weighs 13 pounds. She is slightly overweight.

We originally thought she was sick, but the vet determined she had neck pain. That is why she was acting so strange.

Thanks for any info.

Respected Contributor

Re: Best healthiest meaty dog food (not dry) for a small older dog?

Go the website below where they rate dry and canned dog foods (by "meaty" I assume you mean canned).

Maybe you should cut back slightly on the kibble. I know you want her to feel happy with her meals, but overweight isn't good. Or, more exercise could help.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

Esteemed Contributor

Mima, the same thing happened with our Daisy. She was not eating and not acting right, took her in and they did all kinds of tests. Best they could come up with is she hurt her back (she's a jumper). We feed her chicken breast and rice. But I would also like to give her some canned dog food. I don't know if she's getting all the nutrition she needs. I used to give her some dry too but she started choking on it. She's a 10 lb. Brussels Griffon.

Happygal, thanks for the website. I'm going to check it out.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Respected Contributor

On 4/22/2014 happygal said:

Go the website below where they rate dry and canned dog foods (by "meaty" I assume you mean canned).

Maybe you should cut back slightly on the kibble. I know you want her to feel happy with her meals, but overweight isn't good. Or, more exercise could help.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

Thanks for the link Happygal. I'll check it out today.

When I thought it was the meaty dogfood, I quit giving it to her. For a substitute, I cooked 1 lb. of very lean hamburger, 2 cups of cooked rice and 1 can of 100% pumpkin. I mixed it up and froze it in servings. I have been giving her that. She loves it so much, she goes wild at feeding time. LOL I don't know if that is healthy enough to give her all the time though.

Canned stuff would be a bit easier and probably healthier.

Thanks all for responding.

Respected Contributor

Mima, I'm not sure the canned food would be healthier than what you are making. Are you feeding 100% of the food you are making? If so, I think it would be better to mix it with some kibble since the kibble is probably a complete food for dogs. Your cooked food would just be adding something extra to make dinner extra-yummy. You must cut back a bit on the kibble to account for the extra home-made food. Otherwise he will gain weight.

This is what I do for my Westie: cook ground turkey, some grated zucchini, apple, carrot, a little turmeric and chopped parsley, freeze in small containers. I mix about 2T with his kibble. He likes his food.