Honored Contributor

HOW MANY HOURS A DAY DOES YOUR CAT SLEEP ?

I'm new to Cat Mommyhood, and am still feeling my way with his behavior. What I want to know is ..... how many hours a day does YOUR cat sleep? Is it dependent on age?

Tom Cat sleeps at least 12 hours a day, but some of it seems to be sitting outside, dozing and enjoying the birds chirping.

Can you tell me what's "normal" ... if there is such a thing. LOL

Super Contributor

Re: HOW MANY HOURS A DAY DOES YOUR CAT SLEEP ?

How old is he? My 5 year old seems to sleep 22 hours a day, actually he is laying down by the patio door, on the window sill, or in his bed, not always asleep - just resting his eyes. The younger cat, still a kitten at 8 months, seems to sleep maybe 10 hours, life is still exciting for her. The older cat has been there, done that. I think I have seen the average is 16 hours.
Honored Contributor

My boy is soon to be 17. Some days he sleeps 20 hours and others can be as little as 10. When I'm home, he usually is up and following me around the house ALL day. I tell him to go take a nap. I've had him since he was three or four months old. He's definitely sleeping more these days. I don't think 12 hours is out of line.

Honored Contributor

Wow ..... Tom is about 12 years old. I had no idea that they can sleep that much! I was concerned that he's getting old and ""fading"" on us ....

Valued Contributor

Mine are 18, 14 and 13.

I think they sleep/rest with their eyes shut for a good 20 hours a day. The 18 year old may be a little more active because of her breed type but there's not much in it.

I reckon they are more active in the warmer months because they have to follow the sunlight patches around the house. For a while they can just roll over to follow the sun in one room but eventually, with a big effort, they have to physically get up and shift their little lazy bodies to the room that now has the sun patch.

Esteemed Contributor

If he's 12 years old, I'm surprised he's only sleeping 12 hours a day. That's not unusual at all, and even more as other posters have said. I hope you're enjoying being a "Cat Mommy" - you have so much fun ahead of you!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Super Contributor

Tom Cat is completely normal. Even my 6 month old kitten sleeps at least half the day, the other half is full steam ahead, non-stop running, checking everything out. My other cats are ages 12 and 14 and they sleep probably 15 to 16 hours a day. Cats waste most of their lives sleeping!

Honored Contributor

They are like no other creature .....

I see him laying in the sun and all I can think is that he must be TOO HOT with all that fur on him! Talk about projecting my feelings onto him! All I can think of is how uncomfortable it must be to wear a fur coat on a hot summer day!

Regular Contributor

Dang! Doesn't it make you wonder just what it is they do that makes them so tired/sleepy all the time?! Criminy -- they've got the LIFE!! LOL!!

Honored Contributor

On 4/16/2014 streetangel said:

Dang! Doesn't it make you wonder just what it is they do that makes them so tired/sleepy all the time?! Criminy -- they've got the LIFE!! LOL!!

Exactly ..... that's why I was worried! LOL