Super Contributor

Help! How can I get this cat to eat?

Hi everyone! I'm in desperate need of advice.

A few weeks ago, I adopted a pair of kitties from a shelter. They are litter mates who had been adopted together and were surrendered together when their human went into assisted living. They are 4 and a half years old.

They were at the shelter for 3 weeks, and didn't adjust well there. The female, who I've named Clover, ate a small amount of wet food there each day. The male, Shamrock, didn't eat until his very last day there. He had lost 2 pounds in the 3 weeks he was there.

After a couple of days here, he nibbled his crunchies but showed no interest in wet food. Then he stopped eating again. I tried pate and chunky wet food in a variety of flavors and brands. I tried that refrigerated soft kibble. I've tried 3 different kinds of crunchies. I tried chicken baby food. I've tried lactose free dairy foods. I even tried tuna, and roasted chicken breast.

After 3 weeks here not eating, it was obvious he lost more weight and is ill. I took him to the vet, and found he'd lost another 2 pounds. So much weight loss has resulted in his liver being flooded with fats as it converted body fat to energy.

So I've been syringe feeding him prescription food, and giving him a prescription appetite enhancer. He hates the syringes, and so do I. Sometimes we end up wearing more than he swallows.

He drinks plenty of water on his own. But he just won't eat.

Each morning I put him in front of his food dish and put out fresh food. I keep trying different things hoping he'll eat. The vet even recommended Fancy Feast, calling it "kitty crack". But nope, he just won't. He wanders off, but I give him an hour to eat on his own before breaking out the syringes and prescription food.

We've got another appointment with the vet in a couple of days. I've noticed he's not grooming for the past 2 days either. Whether that is depression or something physical, the vet can help clear up.

I'm desperate for suggestions. What and how do I get this guy to eat?

Thanks for any help you can give!

PS--His sister is thriving. Eating, running, playing, and fully settled in.

Super Contributor

Re: Help! How can I get this cat to eat?

Did the vet check his teeth? I would think he eliminated that for a cause, right?
Super Contributor

He is heartbroken about his former owner Smiley Sad. Now he has fatty liver disease from not eating. You MUST get the food into him. I assume you're feeding him A/D. My cat, no longer here, had a sinus infection, couldn't smell her food and it took 2 months for the vet to figure it out. In the meantime, I fed the entire can of A/D to her over the course of the day. Every few hours. I even came home from work at lunchtime to feed her. I put it on my finger and shoved it into her mouth. I had to do this for 2 months straight as I was determined to prevent her from getting this disease. Some cats don't survive it. Finally the vet found out she couldn't smell so she didn't want the food. She survived due to my force feeding her and lived another 10 years.

Super Contributor

Here's some suggestions to get your cat to eat:

Heat the canned cat food slightly. I agree with the vet, Fancy Feast (Pate) is very flavorful. I've had good success with the Tender Beef flavor.

There is a product called Fortiflora made by Purina -- it's a cat probiotic but is in a mix of powdered entrails which cats love. Sprinkle a little of this on top of the heated canned cat food. Pet supply stores carry this or it can be ordered online.

Give no-salt chicken stock to the cat in a separate bowl in addition to water bowl. Adds calories and nutrition.

Baby food, chicken, slightly heated might entice him.

Nutri-cal will add calories to his diet. It's at the Pet Supply store. Just put about a 1/2 inch on the roof of his mouth. Some cats will lick this off your finger.

Slightly cooked egg yolk will help him gain weight. If he won't eat a soft egg yolk on his own try putting some tuna juice on top of it. Make sure egg yolk is slightly warm.

You can also heat tuna juice slightly and pour that over his food. (Tuna juice saved from human grade tuna canned in water.) Dilute tuna juice 50% with chicken stock or plain water. Warm the tuna juice slightly.

TREATS: If you can get your cat to eat treats -- give him treats. They aren't the best nutritionally but have lots of calories and will help him develop appetite.

Also (Temptations) treats can be crushed between your fingers and be put on top of canned cat food to get the cat to eat the canned food.

Sometimes when a cat is this disturbed by the shelter experience -- it's best to keep him confined in a bedroom (with his littermate) for a few weeks so that he feels more secure.

PLAY: Playing will get his mind off of his troubles. There is a toy called a TURBO SCRATCHER at Walmart that might help him. He can play with that toy unattended & without expending too much energy. You can also play with him with feathers on a wand mild amount of playing) and that might help to stimulate his appetite.

Hope this helps. BTW, it's AWESOME that you adopted these two adult cats. Smiley Happy

I pray that your cat responds to the food & the love you have for him and the he will begin to relax and adjust to his happy new surroundings. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

Does the cat have a respiratory infection?

Just wondering if he has any nasal congestion because that could be causing him not to be able to smell his food.

Here's a tip: In addition to treating the respiratory infection with antibiotic, if your cat has any nasal congestion -- ask your vet about prescribing an antibiotic eye drop that can be used as a NOSE DROP to help clear up the nasal congestion as well.

Our cats were recently sick with URI's and nasal congestion and they couldn't smell their food very well. Our vet prescribed an antibiotic eye drop which we were instructed to use as NOSE drops for our cats. The antibiotic nose drops helped clear the nasal congestion which helped to restore our cats appetites.

Super Contributor

Forgot to add: Get a FELIWAY plug-in diffuser. Helps to calm down anxious cats. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

I remember you posting when you adopted these two and was so happy for you. Please try all the suggestions that Jeremiah2911 has suggested, as she is an expert. Try baby food, especially ham. I am wondering about his teeth, also. If he is not grooming himself, there is definetly a health issue going on. Would he allow you to groom him with a small brush? It would make him feel better, if nothing else. Cats love to be clean. Keep us posted.
Super Contributor

Hmm, I haven't tried heating the food. Sounds like a great idea! I'll also check into things to sprinkle on it to make it tastier, thanks for the suggestions.

His sister loves every flavor of Temptations I've tried, but Shamrock isn't interested.

Yes, it is a/d food that I'm using. I syringe feed him every 2 to 3 hours during the day, and get a can into him (minus what we end up wearing) each day. It helps that I'm disabled and home during the day, so we can keep to that schedule.

Yes, the vet checked his teeth--no problems at all. I've seen no evidence of a respiratory problem, but I'll ask my vet when we see her.

I can get him to play with a feather wand, for short times, and I make sure to do that several times a day. I spend time stroking his head and chin, and he purrs and pushes his head into my hand. I'm hoping he'll learn that the meanie forcing him to eat loves him.

He and his sister aren't the curl up together sort. Sometimes I'll find them with one in a cat bed and the other laying next to it, sharing the edge as a pillow. But they each do their own thing most of the time. I keep hoping that she'll teach him to eat again.

I've got a couple of cushioned hidey holes for him, and he likes those, where he feels protected all around. Unfortunately, I have to drag him out to eat, so he know they're not completely safe. When I pull him out of one, feed him, and let him go, he generally moves over to the other and stays until the next feeding.

Thanks for all your input, please keep it coming!

Super Contributor

Have his glucose checked...he may be diabetic. I just had that experience recently. Good luck with those cuties.
Honored Contributor

What is A/D ?