Trusted Contributor

My cat recently started hissing at me

I have a 12 year old female cat that is causing me some concern. We rescued her the first year that my son was in college so she never really knew him. We don't remember exactly how old she was when it started but every time he came home she started hissing at him. He is an animal lover so we could never understand this. Over time he learned that she would never warm up to him so he tries to avoid her whenever he is home to visit. To my surprise a few weeks ago she started hissing at me for no reason. She has always been a very sweet cat. She doesn't like to be held but she likes attention. I also have an 18 year old female cat and the two have always gotten along pretty well until recently. My older cat has arthritis so she doesn't move as fast as she once did and she doesn't groom as well either. Also, when she meows it almost sounds like she has a sore throat. I am wondering if the change in my older cat might be scaring my younger cat and so that might be why she is hissing?? She doesn't act like she is in pain and she eats well. Any advice would be appreciated.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: My cat recently started hissing at me

You need to take them to the vet for a checkup. Cats are notorious for hiding pain -- and often by the time the show it by verbalizing/hissing, they're ill. The hoarse meow -- if the older cat hasn't done this before -- also should be looked at. If the hoarseness of the meow is not her usual "meow" sound, there could be a number of medical problems. Your other cat could be hissing because she senses a problem in the older cat.

Super Contributor

As Sammycat suggested, since your cat is exhibiting some strange behavior it's a good idea to have the vet examine your cat.

Some other things to consider: Look into what may be being introduced to the cats environment that she may be having a negative reaction to....

Cats are very sensitive to the scents of other pets/animals. Is there any way you and/or your son are in contact with other pets/animals and your cat is picking up the scent?

The scent of another pet or animal on your clothes will cause a cat to hiss & fuss. I read one particular story of how this guys cat hissed and fussed every time he wore a certain pair of pants. He finally figured out that there was a scent on his pants that his cat was reacting to. He washed his pants several times but the cat still hissed every time he wore those pants. He finally threw that pair of pants out and after those pants were gone from the house he never had a problem with his cat hissing again.

So there might be some type of scent that your cat is reacting to. Think about what that could be and try to find the source of the scent. Then you can take steps to eliminate the scent and that may solve the problem.

You mentioned that your cat was hoarse -- this can be caused by the dry air of winter. A common problem shared by cats and people in the winter. A humidifier can help in this case.

Also, those plug-in scent diffusers can cause breathing, throat and nasal problems in cats. Scented candles, scented sprays& deodorizers, chemicals in cleaning products & laundry soaps, etc., can all cause breathing problems in cats (and in humans too!)

Did you change litters about the time your cat started hissing or became hoarse? Scented cat litters and/or a different type of litter (organic, clay, pine) can cause breathing issues and other problems in cats.

Do you have any plants in your home? Is it possible that your cat is chewing on a plant? Many house plants are poisonous to cats --- but even those houseplants that are not poisonous can cause problems in cats -- physically & neurologically -- if the cat ingests it.

Hope this helps. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Thank you Sammycat1 for suggesting I take her to the vet. I have been putting this off for a while now. I took her to my vet this morning and while I was sitting in the waiting room I read a brochure they had available on stress in cats. After a thorough check up stress is what my vet believes is the problem with my girl. She said it is fairly common in cats. Some cats hide when they are scared and others get quite verbal. She suggested I try a Feliway room diffuser that is supposed to have a calming effect. As long as I know she is not sick, I will know how to deal with the problem.
Honored Contributor

My neighbors cat hisses as me everyone I see him. I don't get close enough for him to smell me. I'm across the room and he hisses and runs. It was interesting when I had to pet sit for a weekend. The other three cats let me pet them. He is old and sick. I am the only one he does it to. Sometimes I wish they could just talk.

Honored Contributor

On 4/13/2014 Sammycat1 said:

You need to take them to the vet for a checkup. Cats are notorious for hiding pain -- and often by the time the show it by verbalizing/hissing, they're ill. The hoarse meow -- if the older cat hasn't done this before -- also should be looked at. If the hoarseness of the meow is not her usual "meow" sound, there could be a number of medical problems. Your other cat could be hissing because she senses a problem in the older cat.

I agree. Cats can sense when something is wrong, for instance, a sick and or dying kitten in a litter, the Mom will ignore.

Super Contributor

Please keep us posted on your kitty's progress. It is upsetting when we know there is something wrong and aren't sure what to do to help them. Good luck!

Respected Contributor

Did you take the older cat with the ""hoarse"" meow to the vet?

Honored Contributor

Lori .... did you get your hissy cat to the vet? If so, what was the diagnosis? Is everything okay?