Honored Contributor

Need Advice....Cat With Terminal Feline Leukemia

We have a beautiful "neighborhood cat". Kind of an unusual situation. We live in a rural country addition and years ago a stray cat comes wandering in from a little farmette that borders a woods and fence behind us. Anyway we all sort of "adopted" this cat as we knew he had lost the tip of his ear to the dog where he lived....so he never went back. The people who owned him knew and they didn't care. My next door neighbors provided him warm outside shelter year around and in extremely cold weather kept him in the garage. He is such a nice cat and he preferred to remain outdoors. He went from house to house getting lot's of attention and food. We just found out he has this leukemia and my neighbor wants to wait a while to put him down. I think he is stressed...losing hair and weight and sneezing constantly. It's pretty obvious to me his immune system is shutting down. I want to take him NOW so he doesn't suffer so I offered to pay half of the fee to send him over the bridge to rainbow heaven. Is there anything I could give him to make him sluggish enough to get him in a cage? He is one big cat. We will all miss him...he has a unique personality and has brought happiness to many of us over the years...this big beautiful "hobo' cat who is such a lover.... but I suspect he will never walk into a cage. I offered to take him to the vet because I think my neighbor lady is "dragging her feet". She's a nice lady but I know more about animals and even though this cat still seems pretty pleasant.....I feel he is stressed {#emotions_dlg.crying}. I'm hoping I won't offend the neighbors who have done the most for him....but I can't stand to see an animal suffer so if she doesn't do it within a reasonable amount of time....I will do it. I am just not sure how I will ever get him in a cage without a tranquilizer. By the way, they did get the diagnosis from a vet so we know for sure there is no hope for him. I'm not sure what to say to my neighbor but I think I will just tell her that I will take him next week and pay for it so she won't have to. I tried that last night but she kind of ignored my offer. She is a nice lady. They cannot take the cat in as they have an indoor cat who could get this. My DH dislikes cats so I can't take care of him either.

Super Contributor

Re: Need Advice....Cat With Terminal Feline Leukemia

Poor baby. You need to get a humane trap - please, no tranquilizers. A rescue group would probably loan one to you. They are called Have a Heart traps. Then get him good and hungry by not feeding, put food in the trap and when it goes off, put a towel over it and take him to the vet. If there are other cats around, he could pass the feline leukemia off to the others.

Honored Contributor

Sorry it took me so long to get back. Had to leave this morning in a hurry, came home and got company. Thanks for your input, Indy-Blonde2. I knew you could give dogs Prozac and aspirin but I don't know quite as much about cats. I am happy to tell you that my doorbell rang about and hour ago and it was my neighbor lady. She is taking him Mon. I think and three of us neighbors are going to split the cost of having him put down and her husband is bringing him back to be buried in their back yard along the woods that he loved so much. We will all miss him. He was like a fixture around here and played with our children and grandchildren. Anytime he heard my voice and he was around he came running. He loved people. We have 50 houses in our addition and he just kept going till he found someone home. I have never known a cat quite like him. Big beautiful tiger and white.

Esteemed Contributor

Hello Jubliant, I am not claiming to have expertise for animals, but do know more about 'cats' than any other species. If you have read what I have posted within the past 6 months, maybe longer, there are so many cats that are just LEFT when a family moves or someone and I hate to say- there is a litter born and "dropped off". I know where I live it is the perfect place to leave anyone's unwanted or can't [afford] to keep-(as I have herard this so many times). This rings a heavy bell with me, because I KEEP hearing there are HOBO cats in the neighborhood. I have posted on this in the past few weeks where a woman on the other lane has over 5 strays living under her deck. They have never been to a hospital clinic or vet for any type of animals. I do know that FIV and leukemia is a disease. They have this from either beong bitten from another infected cat (FIV) or leukemia from another animal. Actually, if you already know that lovable 'hobo' has been diagnosed with leukemia, I was wondering who owned 'hobo' before and how do you know 100%;it certainly sounds to me that it's a virus-with the sneezing. I know that once YOU or ANYONE has paid for medical care for a cat, then that cat is registered in your name. If, and I am putting this very "as is" a cat that could be in a cage and kept, 'hobo' possibly could be kept from BITING or sneezing around another cat, so goes the story -a continuous ongoining disease laden group carrying around the virus, spreading to more. I DO KNOW woth FIV cats, if kept in the home, they carry no threat to any HUMAN, and can live out long productive lives. I asked a vet about this some years back when I knew FIV was very much an epidemic. I would call the vet and ask IF there are facilities that take in only leukemia affected, firstly. I know...`` FOR A FACT THERE ARE {THOSE FACILITIES} THAT DO THIS FOR FIV AFFECTED CATS```. THEY 'CAN' LIVE TO 8-15 YEARS OLD. Question: how does one know where you live, that there are NOT other cats having the same virus? I value your devotion for this lovable cat and give you accolades for having such a sensitive soul in wanting to keep 'hobo' around. I KNOW this has to very upsetting in doing the care giving in finding a home, a permanent home, so he will not be suffering. My first thought would be in asking........ about 'those shelters' that do actually care for leukemia virus affected cats- only. I see and hear about this every SINGLE day where I live. People are becoming immune in taking care of their cats/ dogs, so over population begins and keep right on increasing. There is a facilitiy within 15 miles where I live that has all necessarey shotS, spay-neutering for $10.00. THERE IS NO EXCUSE........ EXCEPT FOR THE LAZY UNCARING SELFISH PEOPLE. CHECK AROUND. YOU MAY VERY WELL BE SURPRISED WHAT YOU CAN LEARN. MY SINCERE BEST TO SUCH A CARING PERSON, as YOU, Jubliant{#emotions_dlg.wub}. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, _Naes

Honored Contributor

Thank you, Naes. I just wrote you a long note and it went poof! Can't figure out why unless I hit the cancel instead of submit. I read, with interest, all your information and am going to share it with my neighbor tomorrow. I think a friend of theirs knows a retired vet and I am betting he was the one that did the test (although I don't know that for sure) She said her friend told her that he (the vet) doesn't put animals down anymore. I wonder if it was because he knew they were not the original owner? I didn't pursue it with her any farther because she was visibly upset and I didn't want her to think I was questioning her judgment. She seemed a little more calm today when she was over but I could tell she was almost in tears. They have 2 dogs and an indoor cat and are real animal lovers. They keep their animals till they die of old age so I have no reason to question her. Maybe she doesn't know this information. Thanks again for sharing. I really appreciate it. ~ Jubilant ~

By the way.....the original owners knew the cat was living in our neighbor hood and they were fine with that. Their dog bit Cityboys ear half off and Cityboy would not stay there after that. Their daughter knew our neighbors daughter and told her it was ok.

Esteemed Contributor

You call him a lover of a cat. Why can't you PUT him in a carrier instead of trapping him? It's my experience and vets have told me as long as they're eating, it's too soon.
Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

On 4/12/2014 jubilant said:

Thank you, Naes. I just wrote you a long note and it went poof! Can't figure out why unless I hit the cancel instead of submit. I read, with interest, all your information and am going to share it with my neighbor tomorrow. I think a friend of theirs knows a retired vet and I am betting he was the one that did the test (although I don't know that for sure) She said her friend told her that he (the vet) doesn't put animals down anymore. I wonder if it was because he knew they were not the original owner? I didn't pursue it with her any farther because she was visibly upset and I didn't want her to think I was questioning her judgment. She seemed a little more calm today when she was over but I could tell she was almost in tears. They have 2 dogs and an indoor cat and are real animal lovers. They keep their animals till they die of old age so I have no reason to question her. Maybe she doesn't know this information. Thanks again for sharing. I really appreciate it. ~ Jubilant ~

By the way.....the original owners knew the cat was living in our neighbor hood and they were fine with that. Their dog bit Cityboys ear half off and Cityboy would not stay there after that. Their daughter knew our neighbors daughter and told her it was ok.

...dear Jubliant, I had taken a semi-nap, ate, watched a movie and had to come back to talk with you. Also, I read the post after me, from esmerelda. She made a very good point about the 'trapping', which I know will cause distrust and stress to ~Cityboys's~ already confused life. I hope this will not come to 'trapping' as in a wild animal. The SPCA will loan out carrier with a small trap door, until you can get him to the clinic. Also, at the SPCA, you can buy a cardboard carrier for a small fee. I have seen then for sale in the larger supermarkets, also. Do you feel that he is actually suffering with signs that are causing him to be miserable? If not, (since your husband isn't fond of cats)- why not ask around in finding someone who may just love to have an (almost) indoor cat, who would find `that home` his---! ~Maybe an elderly person who could have him as her/his companion? The longer any ONE person {HOME} continues to feed him with some very quality food and a cat milk (Whiskas)/found in the cat food isle,+ love, then he will actually stay around as much as an indoor cat. I know Cityboy probably will never be a total inside cat, but he will stay where there is trust. Remember a human canNOt "catch" this cat virus, if that is it. _ I would make sure he's made ONE trip to the vet with you for a check-up at an affordable clinic { small cost}, then he is registered as yours in decisions to made later. The key word that I keep reading is that he is lovable. ____I am somewhat sure that the other family with the indoor cat and dogs truly are animal lovers, but this one more 'HOBO' could be just over the top for the family.
I'll come back and hopefully read a better update-for Cityboy and you. Jubliant, I have posted many times and [they] diappear; I am always thinking it's a TIME element in typing quite quickly. I am a med. clinical instr., so sometimes my terminology gets in the way. DEFINITELY NOT A SECRETARY- NOOOOO WAY. Take care and know we are here to hepl you with this dilemma-short termed, I am sure...................Smile_Naes,,,with admiration + a hug.

Honored Contributor

Usually when we pet and love him he doesn't want to be picked up. My neighbor did just tell me that CityBoy was very fond of her husband and he feels that he will be able to pick him up and get him in. While he likes to be loved...it has to be on his terms! I know he is not contagious so I haven't stopped loving and petting him. I am planning on asking her today how exactly she knows he isn't going to make it. It might be a touchy subject because they consider themselves to have been his main caretaker (and they were) but still the neighborhoods cat. Like I say, it is a rather unusual situation. One I haven't encountered before. I get the feeling she feels it is her decision to make. They have been wonderful neighbors (right next door) so I would hate to offend her or even suggest she wasn't doing the right thing. I will be sure she knows the info I have learned from you. I don't get on Pet Lovers very often because I don't have pets anymore. We are in our mid sixties and DH wants no more animals. We have had dogs. My Grandparents had many cats when I was growing up. They owned a big farm with a big barn. When Grandma no longer used the summer kitchen.....they made it over into a big "cat house" Ha! It had a section full of deep fresh straw which was changed regularly and she had boxes, crates, blankets, barrels set up as "birthing units". In the winter, before the adults ate, we delivered warm milk and kitty biscuits to them every morning of their lives. In the evening it was several cans of cat food spread out and cut up for the cats. The trays were brought in every night and washed and made ready for the next day. Same routine in the summer except we didn't warm the milk up. Many times we kids were let to feed new baby kittens out of and eye dropper when occasionally one of the litters had a neglectful momma cat. There were around 15 cats.....some were indoor/outdoor. Whenever you walked in there would usually be one on Grandpa's shoulder, one on Granny's lap (my great grandmother) , and one on the top back of the couch. Only the one's that went to the door and asked to go out were allowed in but us kids loved them all and so did they. Back then you had to put a cat to sleep yourself. She knew how to do it and, when necessary ,she did. She even made her own ointments for their eyes and when one of her big beloved tom cats came back all beat up she would take him in and patch him up. His name was Chubby and he was a huge white cat. They also had a dog who was one of the great loves of my life. She lived for 17 yrs. Was still alive when I got married. I guess I get my love of animals from her. Both my kids are animal lovers, too. My daughter rescued a tortoise shell cat about 2 or 3 yrs. ago. Her name is Lucy. She has turned out to be the best cat you could ever want. My son has 2 dogs, cats, rabbits, and a parakeet. He lives in the country. Daughter also did Sheltie Rescue's for several years. I get my "animal fix" from their pets and my neighbors pets. I am helping out a nice young couple by letting their new little black lab puppy out during the day and playing with him. They live right across the street from me. She is a school teacher and can't get home mid day to let him out so for the next 8 weeks or till school is out, I will be helping out. It's my first experience with a black lab. He has a wonderful temperament! Cute as a button. I'll let you know what happens with CityBoy,

Esteemed Contributor

jubilant...how do you know he has leukemia? Was he tested? Was he tested for other things?

I ask because we lost a kitty to the double whammy of leukemia and feline AIDS...both diagnosed at the same time and only a couple of months before we lost him. (Jeez...I still cry thinking about it...12 years later. {#emotions_dlg.crying})

Are there other symptoms besides sneezing...eye and/or nose discharge?

Shedding could be stress or could be he's losing the winter coat. Sneezing may also be season allergies.

If he truly is ill, keep a close eye as he'll eventually go off by himself to cross the bridge.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

esmerelda....my neighbor told me that he saw a vet... I asked my neighbor if there was any hope or was he terminal. She said He was terminal. We do know that they know a retired veterinarian quite well and suspect that may have been the vet that looked at CityBoy. We also were told that this vet would not put him down.....he doesn't do it since retiring. I actually thought the cat was sneezing quite a bit last summer but he looked big and healthy so I chalked it up to allergies. Now the sneezing is worse. He has something all over his coat....almost like dandruff or something, is limping, and has lost a lot of weight. His tail is looking kind of flat, too. I assume that is hair loss. He does not seem to be in much pain but animals don't show pain like humans do....at least I know dogs don't. I am much more familiar with dogs. I have owned several dogs but never had any of my own cats. As far as I know she and the other neighbor are taking him to the humane shelter about 5 minutes away from where we live next week. She has the right to make the decision, IMO, because they are the ones he always comes home to at night, who feed him every day and have provided him with shelter in all kinds of weather. I did offer to take him to the humane shelter or go with them but she has made arrangements with her other neighbor already to do that. I know her....she would keep the cat if she thought there was any hope so I am believing that she will have the cats best interest at heart because that is the type of person she is.... Believe me...she loves this cat, too.