Respected Contributor

Anyone buy a puppy that needed to be flown half way across the US?

As you know, I lost my dog last Sunday and I've been looking, maybe it's too soon but I've been looking and found one 1/2 way across the US....The breeder is willing to crate him up and put him on a plane...he'll only be 8 wks old.

What do you think?

Valued Contributor
Please exercise CAUTION!! NO puppy should be allowed to travel by air before it's 12 weeks old!! We got our pup from an out-of-state breeder and she was shipped to us by air. She was 12 weeks old and arrived in perfect condition. We've had her for 10 very happy years now, and she's just a joy. Nonetheless, we would never do this again because air travel is very stressful for animals, especially when they're just babies...something that we really were unaware of at the time. If we ever get another dog in the future, it will be either from a local breeder or a rescue. Just some friendly advice to reconsider your decision. Get a rescue or find a reputable, local breeder for the puppy's sake.
Frequent Contributor

Please adopt locally. I may get bashed for this, but so be it. I feel very strongly about what constitutes a "quality breeder". A good, reputable breeder will NOT ship their animals across country that young --- and will NOT send them to perfect strangers period. Those willing to do so are in it for the money, and you will get what you get in terms of a healthy/unhealthy animal. GOOD breeders, on the other hand, cost a small fortune because of what goes into the care of the animal for life, and the attention to genetics behind the animal. They feel strongly that the animals are theirs for their lives and if for any reason the person adopting cannot keep them, they are to be returned and will have the adopter sign a contract to that effect. They care for their animals. They also usually insist on a minimum of one visit in person and VERY often if not always insist on a personal home visit by them. Having said that, we have always adopted ours from various situations -- never bought. (I feel strongly about that, too.)

Super Contributor
I adopted my wonderful Lilypadfrog, for whom I am named, when she was 3 months old. The breeder gave her something for anxiety, I guess, but she was very drowsy for days after she flew in. She came via Delta, was safe and came to me from several states away. I only did that because there were no breeders or rescue groups for bloodhounds in my state. I loved her dearly, but I would never do that to a puppy again after seeing how scared she was. Even I, after having only bloodhounds for 40 years, will change breeds to keep a puppy safe from flying.
Esteemed Contributor

I think that's too young as well.

You can drop a small fortune on a pup with a good pedigree. That said, I wouldn't spend that kind of $ without visiting the breeder and asking to see both parents on site. A good breeder will allow you to visit and spend time with both the pups and the parents so you can ask questions. You'll get to see size, temperment, interaction, etc and see how clean the kennel area is.

You can also adopt a shelter pet as a playmate for the new pup. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't do this, buying a dog essentially sight unseen. You don't know if you'll click with one another. Furthermore, the puppy is too small right now, and think of how scared he would be in the cargo hold. Personally, I think it's a little soon for you to get a new dog, but that's me. You are the only one who knows if you're ready or not. Even so, what if you get him and he's not right for you or you have buyer's regret? Then what? Do you fly the little pup back? You're emotions are talking right now. Take your time and really think hard on this one. I'm sure there are many local puppies who need a home when the time is right.

Esteemed Contributor

I would never ship a puppy. They go in the cargo area where it is cold & uncomfortable for them. I've heard terrible stories about it. Please consider a rescue. They are so sweet & craving love. I always get a mutt.....they live the longest healthy lives without all that inbreeding.

Valued Contributor

Respected Contributor
I would not recommend putting a puppy in cargo. I did go get my puppy in 2008 out of state, I flew there myself, was able to meet her parents and I carried her as a carry on with me. She did fine but I would never put a puppy in cargo.
Super Contributor
Please go to your local shelter or rescue and adopt there. If you absolutely have to have a purebred there may be a breed specific rescue in your area. you can find the perfect personality match in person.