Trusted Contributor

I just spotted this add

"We have a large family, and as the kids are becoming more involved in activities, our dogs are being neglected and not receiving the attention they deserve.

Both Oscar and Grover are house trained, know how to do tricks, very sweet and gentle. They love to snuggle with people. Both are full blood Shih Tzu from the same parents but different litters and are both 11 years old. Oscar even likes to play fetch.

They deserve a great home with people who can be there for them in the evenings."

What is wrong with people who want to give away their pets because their children have too many "activities"? Their most important activity should be to love and care for these poor babies.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Honored Contributor

These sound like people who probably should never have taken on the responsibility of pets. Many people aren't committed to the whole child raising process, and just want a baby, so I guess it shouldn't be surprising when people don't follow through with animals.

Somehow people need to understand when you take in a pet, it should be for life. If they have health issues, behavior problems, etc. you need to be sure you are loving and caring enough to deal with those things. Sometimes people become so ill or pass away, or become homeless and can't properly care for a pet, but these people just seem "too busy".

I guess if these people work hard enough to find the right good home for these dogs, they aren't totally bad people, but it seems cruel to uproot senior dogs who probably have had only one home. I hope they get a home where they will be loved and cherished.

Contributor
It is horrible Adelle. I have only adopted senior and special needs dogs since 1994, often adopting seniors who only have a year or less. The seniors dropped at the shelters are simply heartbreaking and I wish I had room for all (I have 5). I wish people would understand how wonderful these old souls are and more would choose to adopt seniors. People like in the add you show should never be allowed to have a pet again Smiley Sad. Cruel!!!!
Esteemed Contributor

The poor animals are seen as being disposable to some people. I don't know what is wrong with people. Right now, I have a big lab laying in the middle of my front room floor that showed up last May. Sick as he could be, he had worms so bad that every time he would eat, he would throw up- oh it was gross. My ds took him to the vet, and we got rid of the worms and got him neutered. But, I honestly think they dumped him off because he was so sick.

He is so sweet, I cannot imagine what anyone was thinking to drop him off... But people do it all the time, its just horrible.

Frequent Contributor

Cruelty, yes. I agree with all of the sentiments here. One of my favorite FACEBOOK postings is a picture of a cat or dog with the caption "I am a Forever _______ (cat or dog). If you cannot commit to me forever, I am not your ________ (cat/dog). It's as simple as that." I post and re-post that - along with a recommendation that if one cannot provide a "forever home" then one should NOT adopt a living being and should stick with a pet Chia or rock - and couldn't care less who gets offended by it. I'm plenty offended by the concept of offering a "temporary home" to animals who willingly commit to humans wholeheartedly and unreservedly. They deserve no less.

Esteemed Contributor

There is an ad on Anaheim Hills Buzz tonight to find a home for a 14 year old Chi mix. He's her fiancé's parents dog & they are moving to the east coast & don't want to take him.

I see ad's daily for people who have to get ""rid"" of their dog because they are moving tomorrow. Then they ask for a re-homing fee. It makes me furious.

Super Contributor
On 4/4/2014 PinkSugar said:

There is an ad on Anaheim Hills Buzz tonight to find a home for a 14 year old Chi mix. He's her fiancé's parents dog & they are moving to the east coast & don't want to take him.

I see ad's daily for people who have to get ""rid"" of their dog because they are moving tomorrow. Then they ask for a re-homing fee. It makes me furious.

Those dogs are probably stolen and they want a quick turnover.

People who get rid of their cats and dogs make me sick. I once saw a 17 year old cat on a GA kill shelter's web site. The owner didn't want her anymore. I don't live in GA but thankfully someone stepped up to the plate down there.

Esteemed Contributor

Just the thought of this makes me so furious that I don't dare even type the words I'm thinking...... !!!

Contributor
On 4/5/2014 kittymomNC said:

Just the thought of this makes me so furious that I don't dare even type the words I'm thinking...... !!!

Agreed.....we have NEVER been too busy to care for our shih-tzu....that is just ridiculous.

Esteemed Contributor

I had never heard of a thing called "pet flippers" until I moved up here.

People take in adoptable pets, cats, dogs, etc from others who are moving, can't afford to care for them any more, strays, etc.

Then they post an ad on CL and offer "their loving pet" for a "small rehoming fee" with some sob story.

It's a cottage industry up here and it makes me sick.