Honored Contributor

I have a dog who has an itchy skin problem. I went back and forth between trying Nzymes or trying Dinovite. Dinovite was one product that you sprinkle on food so I decided to give it a try over the 5 steps a day Nzyme program. However, I did switch him to a holistic dog food recommended on the Nzymes site.

My dog has been on Dinovite since the week before x-mas. Not only has there been absolutely no improvement, he is itching worse than he was before. I have contacted Dinovite and was told that all the yeast is probably working it's way out of his skin and because of that, it's not uncommon for animals to get worse before they get better.

I know 3 other people who also bought the product and have seen absolutely no improvement to their dogs at all. I would say 99% of the reviews on the Dinovite site are glowing.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I have probably 2 more weeks worth of this stuff and I don't know if I am going to order another box, go with Nzymes or try the SeaMeal I read about in the other thread about dogs with itchy skin.

Anyone have any good experience with Dinovite. The Nzymes site also says it's common for the dogs to get worse before they get better and that it could take several months to see an improvement. TIA

Super Contributor

Have you tried giving your dog some coconut oil? It is said to be effective in healing dry coat and itchy skin of dogs.

Google ""Benefits of Coconut Oil for Dogs"" to find out the type of coconut oil & correct dosage.

Respected Contributor
On 4/3/2014 LipstickDiva said:

Anyone have any good experience with Dinovite. The Nzymes site also says it's common for the dogs to get worse before they get better and that it could take several months to see an improvement. TIA

Did NOTHING for my dog. I hear their commercials on the radio every day and I'd never waste another dime on them.

All I did was change my doggie's food and with 2 weeks she was like a new born pup. For starters, I'd suggest feeding her human food if you really really desperately want to get your baby out of his/her misery. Meat & Veggies = Healthy dog. Boiled NON FAT meats and fresh veggies.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Valued Contributor

We had an itchy dog when I was growing up and we ended up feeding our dogs a mixture of boiled chicken, plain hamburger, plain rice and plain firm tofu (we crumbled it in). They loved it and no more problems for the itchy dog. Unfortunately, for itchy dogs, its often a food allergy so you have to go through a process of elimination. The obvious ingredient to eliminate first is corn, but you probably know all this, don't you? :-)I wish you best of luck and relief soon for your poor dog.

Respected Contributor
On 4/5/2014 mewsmomtoo said:

We had an itchy dog when I was growing up and we ended up feeding our dogs a mixture of boiled chicken, plain hamburger, plain rice and plain firm tofu (we crumbled it in). They loved it and no more problems for the itchy dog. Unfortunately, for itchy dogs, its often a food allergy so you have to go through a process of elimination. The obvious ingredient to eliminate first is corn, but you probably know all this, don't you? :-)I wish you best of luck and relief soon for your poor dog.

I hope the OP comes back because you hit the nail on the head. FOOD ALLERGY!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Yes our first though was food allergy as well. I've never done the human food diet for him but we did have him on a Prescription diet through the vet and there were only a couple of ingredients in the food. He was on it for 5 months and there was no change.

In reading and reading about itchy skin, etc., many of the sites indicate it's not an allergy at all. It's an overproduction of yeast in their system and giving them certain foods, certain medications, etc. just causes them to produce even more.

An prescription antihistamine works wonderfully for his itching but the side effects are not good for him at all.

I will look further into the raw food diet.

Yes I have tried the coconut oil and fish oil and some other kind of oil to no avail.

Respected Contributor

the first thing I eliminate is WHEAT. many dogs are allergic to wheat. the flyer I got from the vet says the top 3 things dogs are allergic to are wheat, beef, and dairy.

my Daisy will start itching when she gets any wheat at all. cracker, you name it.

Respected Contributor

Just a couple other thoughts. What meds is your dog on? For example, the flea med Trifexis causes itching, as we found out the hard way. Also, if you bathe your dog often using shampoo, even just the legs and tummy, that can dry skin a lot, so choose a very mild shampoo. Vet can probably suggest a shampoo as mine did.

My dog is slightly itchy, but it's tolerable. However, when we go on vacation to a very arid area, he scratches a lot more. Not sure if there is something there which bothers him or it's the lack of humidity. Not sure what to do about that.

Best wishes for your pup, Lipstick.

PS Did you ask how long the itching would be worse before it got better, with the Dinovite? (I avoid these products because most often even tho' they say "Made in the USA," the ingredients are sourced in China. But if I were desperate, I would probably try it. After all, many human vitamins are sourced in China too, so what can you do?)