Respected Contributor

I am wondering if there are any canary owners on the forum? We have a 7 year old Gloster Canary named Keri. I never thought I could care as much for a bird as I do for him. When we got him we donated all of our non-stick cookware and purchased stainless steel. My husband always jokes that Keri has probably helped us eat healthier since there is some controversy on whether non-stick is safe for humans. I know it's not safe for birds.

I know canaries are not really the favored bird and a lot of people consider them little old ladies birds. But once you have them you realize what amazing little creatures they are. They are easy to work with and very tidy. Their singing is so relaxing to listen to.

Keri's only bad behavior trait is that he hates when we talk on the phone near his cage. As soon as we start talking he starts to chirp and sing as loud as his little body will allow him. I've had people say to me you must have quite a few birds. I tell them nope just one little yellow guy. Needless to say we try to take all of our calls away from his cage.

But we love him with all of our heart and wouldn't even consider ever having any other type of bird.

Frequent Contributor

Hi, J Town Girl. No birds here, but I'm always glad to hear about a different kind of pet! Your feathered baby sounds like a little charmer!

Honored Contributor
When my son was growing up, we had a little white and peach feathered female canary named Peaches. Soon after, we got a bright sunny yellow male named Sunshine. We enjoyed them so much. We had two cages, and if we wanted to hear him sing he had to be in a cage alone. We used to cut a couple of green seedless grapes in half for a treat. Those were fun years, never to be forgotten. Enjoy your Keri.
Respected Contributor
I have had Canaries and love the way they sing. Right now, I am the proud owner of a Blue Crown Conure, Brown Throated Conure, Red Belly Parrot, and African Gray Parrot. My youngest is around 13 and my oldest around 20. I love them so much so I know your feelings for your little guy. I don't own any non-stick either. I am glad I don't even like non-stick. I learned to cook in stainless and that is what I cook with. I don't have any of those fancy little grill machines or sandwich makers either because of the deadly fumes from the non-stick.
Respected Contributor

It's wonderful that such a sweet little creature brings joy to your lives. I have a dove, white. He coos in the mornings. We keep him inside during the night, but most often he's outside during the day unless it's too cold or too hot. Sometimes I feel sorry for him, his whole life in a cage. He's very old, not sure how old, but at least 15.

Thank you for sharing about your dear bird.

Respected Contributor

I would like to thank all of you for sharing your stories on your birds and for your kind words about Keri. It's so much fun to hear about other people's pets.

happygal, I'm so envious of you having a Dove. I often have thought about getting a pair of Doves but I just don't have the room for as large of a cage as they need. I think they are just beautiful. I love the cooing sound that they make.

I know what you mean about a bird living their whole life in a cage. But I think birds consider their cage their security. They are happy in their world.

Respected Contributor
My birds have very nice cages on wheels and those cages are theirs. They do think of the cages as security. I let mine out everyday and they sit on top of the cages, 2 go to others cages but when the rubber meets the road and they are afraid or something is new, they want to be inside the cages.
Respected Contributor

I have parakeets and i know what you mean. only the 2 boys sing and they tought my girls to sing.

I love them so much!

Super Contributor

Keri Canary!

I used to have 2 parakeets and each had its own little habits. I had a great cage for them with a playpen on top. They'd be up in the playpen fooling around and at night would climb back down into the cage to go to sleep. Loved them.