Trusted Contributor

Dry skin in dogs - what to do?

We have two Dalmatians - 10 & 11 - that have developed very dry skin and are scratching constantly. We had a flea issue several months ago, but thank goodness that's no longer a problem - what a nightmare that was! They eat good food - Iams Sr - we don't over bathe them - and have tried giving them fish oil, with no luck. We gave them an oatmeal bath recently, which helped temporarily, but they went back to scratching. We live in Florida, so dry heat isn't an issue. Everything else has been constant, so we are at a loss. Any suggestions? Thank you!
Contributor

Re: Dry skin in dogs - what to do?

I wonder if your dogs have developed a food allergy? Sometimes foods change their formulations... I have a senior rescue dog with some chronic skin issues I am working on and I found a great lotion that has really soothed her. It is call dermagic skin rescue lotion. It's on amazon, priced very reasonably at $12.77 for 4 ounces. You might like to try that. Is the itching and dryness everywhere or in localized areas?
Trusted Contributor

On 3/28/2014 siennasoleil said: I wonder if your dogs have developed a food allergy? Sometimes foods change their formulations... I have a senior rescue dog with some chronic skin issues I am working on and I found a great lotion that has really soothed her. It is call dermagic skin rescue lotion. It's on amazon, priced very reasonably at $12.77 for 4 ounces. You might like to try that. Is the itching and dryness everywhere or in localized areas?
Thank you, I will look for it! The scratching seems to be generalized, today I noticed a great deal of dandruff on the male's back. I was thinking food, I suppose if this continues we might try a change. Just kind of odd that it's both of them.
Contributor

Also, Lizzie, if the bath seems to soothe I think it's ok to bathe every few days in this case. It is interesting it is both of them. If it keeps up it might be helpful to have blood work done as it could be something easily treated, like a thyroid problem, something that commonly is an issue in dogs as they age Smiley Happy. Best wishes!
Trusted Contributor

On 3/28/2014 siennasoleil said: Also, Lizzie, if the bath seems to soothe I think it's ok to bathe every few days in this case. It is interesting it is both of them. If it keeps up it might be helpful to have blood work done as it could be something easily treated, like a thyroid problem, something that commonly is an issue in dogs as they age Smiley Happy. Best wishes!
Thanks, Sienna! They've both had blood work fairly recently, the female is on Rimadyl - the wonder drug for doggie arthritis - so she has to be monitored. He's not on anything so far, and thankfully, both are otherwise healthy and happy!
Super Contributor

I have a 10yr. old Cairn Terrier with a bad itching problem & found out about a product called SeaMeal. I sprinkle 1/4 tsp. over her food twice a day & it has helped tremendously. It works for all skin problems no matter what kind - food allergies, allergies to grasses, weeds or whatever. Look it up online & you can see what all it does. I highly recommend it. I got mine at Petco in a 1# can, which is going to last a long time - also comes in a larger size.

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

Here are some tips-

To remedy dry skin, supplement your dog food with one to three tablespoons of flaxseed oil daily for the first six weeks (depending on the size of your dog). If you see improvements, you can cut this dosage down to a third. Many high-end dog food actually already contain flaxseed and helps to improve your dog's coat. A cheaper alternative to flaxseed oil is salmon oil or olive oil. Use this just as you would with flaxseed oil. Once a week, you can feed your dog a whole raw egg or a slice of sardine in olive oil.

Do not overbath your dog. While your dog may get into something stinky and disgusting once in a while, in general you should not bath it more than twice in a month since bathing the dog gets rid of the essential oils on its fur. Make sure you use a moisturizing shampoo that contains oatmeal protein. You can make an oatmeal protein colloidal by grinding 4 cups of oatmeal (per 20lb dog) finely and drawing a lukewarm bath for your dog. Gently wash the dog with the oatmeal bath. After bathing your dog, wipe some baby oil (or olive oil) over his fur and wrap him up in a warm towel to make sure that the oil soaks in. Never rub your dog with the towel, only pat, since rubbing can further aggravate the dry skin condition. The oatmeal colloidal is particular good for dogs with eczema.

When your dog gets wet, particularly if he has been playing in the pool or was caught in the rain, make sure you wipe him dry thoroughly, since the evaporation from the dog's fur can further cause drying. In winter, when you have your heat on, make sure you put a humidifier in the room as well, allowing moist air to circulate and prevent skin from drying out. To quickly soothe dry skin, try steeping a cup of chamomile tea and filling it in a spray bottle and then spritz it all over your dog for a soothing effect. Remember to follow this up by rubbing the dry spots with some moisturizing oil.

Dry skin can be very stressful for both the dog and its owner, but is something that is relatively easy to treat at home. Remember that just as your skin needs constant moisture, so does your dog's. Use a little oil high in Vitamin E and rub it in with some tender loving care.

Honored Contributor

TIP #1

Vitamin E is good for preventing those pesky age lines on your face, and it's also great for your dog's dry skin. You can give your pup a doggy massage by applying vitamin E oil directly to the skin, a soaking bath with vitamin E added to the water, or you can go all "Hollywood" and pop your dog a pill (of vitamin E, that is).

If you give the vitamin orally, check with your vet on the recommended dosage for your specific dog breed.

TIP #2

Flavorless electrolyte-replacing liquids, such as sports waters or pediatric drinks, not only help athletes to replenish fluids, and babies to rehydrate after an illness, they can also supply your sick pooch's body with much needed fluids after a bout of diarrhea or vomiting.

Consult your veterinarian as to the appropriate dosage amounts when giving these types of liquids to your dog.

TIP #3

Deliciously plain yogurt is a healthy treat for your dog. Just as with humans, the live acidophilus in the yogurt keeps the good bacteria in your dog's intestines in balance, so that bad bacteria is swiftly knocked out. If your dog is on antibiotics, a little yogurt will also help keep yeast infections at bay (a common side-effect of antibiotic treatment). You can also give your dog acidophilus pills -- wrapping the pills in bacon is strictly optional.

Puppies are especially prone to yeast infections, so a little plain yogurt as a snack (or even dessert) can help keep things in balance; especially useful while the intestinal system is building immunities.

TIP #4

Chamomile tea uses the natural disinfecting effects of the chamomile plant to settle upset doggy tummies. It is recommended for colic, gas, and anxiety. It can also alleviate minor skin irritations. Just chill in the fridge and spray onto the affected area on the dog's raw skin. Your dog should feel an immediate soothing effect as the chilled tea kills the yeast and/or bacteria on the skin. A warm (not hot) tea bag can also be used for soothing infected or irritated eyes.

TIP #5

An itchy dog can be quite an annoyance, especially as it goes around scratching itself on any piece of furniture it can reach. Forget the backscratcher. Finely ground oatmeal is a time-honored remedy for irritated skin. You can use baby oatmeal cereal or grind it yourself in a food processor. Stir the oatmeal into a bath of warm water and let your dog soak in the healing goodness. Your dog will thank you, trust us. Dogs with skin allergies, infections, and other diseases which cause itchiness have been shown to gain immediate relief with this approach, too.

TIP #6

Dogs can be like kids at times, and as such they are bound to suffer from wounds and the occasional unexplained swelling. Try treating these ailments with Epsom salt soaks and heat packs next time. A bath consisting of Epsom salt and warm water can help reduce the swelling and the healing time, especially when combined with prescribed antibiotics and veterinary supervision.

If soaking your dog in an Epsom salt bath twice a day for five minutes isn't convenient or practical, a homemade heat pack using a clean towel drenched in the same warm-water solution can be applied to wounds for the same effect.

TIP #7

Does your dog have fleas? Never fear. Before turning to the big guns, try some borax powder. The standard stuff at the store will work wonders on fleas by poking holes in their crunchy insect exoskeletons. A good way to make sure those parasitic suckers get annihilated is to sprinkle the borax on your floor, and then sweep or vacuum up the excess. The invisible borax crystals left behind will kill the fleas and you won't even have to lift a finger. It's inexpensive and practically non-toxic compared to an appointment with the exterminator.

For the dog, try a simple solution of lemon water. Fleas are repelled by citrus, so this can work both as a flea preventive, and for making your dog smell clean and refreshing. A useful solution can be made by pouring boiled water over lemons and allowing them to steep overnight. This solution can then be applied all over your dog's skin using a fresh spray bottle. And, the tried and true Brewer's yeast method cannot be left out. Brewer's yeast can be given as part of a regular diet in powdered form, sprinkled over the dog food, or in tablet form, perhaps wrapped in a small slice of bacon or cheese.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/29/2014 Txblond said:

I have a 10yr. old Cairn Terrier with a bad itching problem & found out about a product called SeaMeal. I sprinkle 1/4 tsp. over her food twice a day & it has helped tremendously. It works for all skin problems no matter what kind - food allergies, allergies to grasses, weeds or whatever. Look it up online & you can see what all it does. I highly recommend it. I got mine at Petco in a 1# can, which is going to last a long time - also comes in a larger size.

Good luck!

Hi Txblond: So glad to hear SeaMeal is working for you. I hope your groomer also has found some benefit.

Lizzief: Look up SeaMeal online and you can read about it. It is specifically for dogs (and cats) with allergy issues, whether being food or environmental. I also live in Florida and as another poster mentioned above, was cautioned about too much bathing or topical ointments actually being counter productive. My first labrador retriever had bad skin issues and developed "hot spots" often. Once I was turned on to SeaMeal, it not only helped him heal faster but he never had a problem again. Given that one of your babies is on Rimadyl, I would touch base with your vet just to be safe.

Best of luck.

Frequent Contributor

Oatmeal shampoo, while highly touted as being great for dry skin, can cause problems because it will feed certain dry skin issues rather than help alleviate it.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2011/05/03/eating-these-foods-can-make-your... -***ch-like-crazy.aspx

Here's a link on dry skin - from a holistic vet -- and she recommends coconut oil as a supplement as well as using it on the skin:

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2011/04/12/coat-and-skin-flakiness-and-irri...

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2013/12/16/coconut-oil-treatment.aspx

In the link under "oatmeal shampoo" above, I had to substitute three *** for "it" because of the stupid censor program they have on this forum. So you'll have to retype the word after "dog" as it's supposed to be. Sorry!