Honored Contributor

What to do about a woodpecker eating my house?

We have lived in a pine log cabin for 8 years. Pilated woodpeckers are very common around here and this year one is pecking at one end of the house. It is in an area with deep snow banks, so I can't walk out and scare it away. The best I can do is rattle the screens from the inside. Any ideas? We would never shoot it.

Contributor

Re: What to do about a woodpecker eating my house?

A friend of mine in Michigan hangs mylar strips in the area the woodpecker pecks and supposedly it discourages them. I would suggest contacting your state wildlife agency and see what they recommend. You just need something that will convice the silly bird that your house isn't a lunch counter.

Honored Contributor

Several years ago we had an awful time with one. I was told by our county extension office they are protected so you can't even shoot them with a BB Gun. Then they suggested stringing up old CD's you no longer use (or buy some cheap ones). They'll reflect and bounce around as the wind blows, scarring the woodpeckers away without harming them. It worked for us.

Honored Contributor

Thanks! I'll try one of these hints, I need something I can hang from a second floor window. We have those windows with the screens on the inside that crank out, so I can thumb tack something to the logs pretty easily. I'm in Mich UP.

Honored Contributor

A former co-worker had major issues with woodpeckers and their log house, and my suggestion was to check the house to see if there was an infestation of wood borers to draw the birds in the first place. The house did indeed have bugs in the wood, and after it was treated by exterminators, the woodpeckers were no longer a problem. As long as there is a food source, the birds will stay.

Regular Contributor

Can you put out some bird & suet feeders? They came to my bird feeders all the time.

Respected Contributor

I don't think woodpeckers eat wood, they're probably after bugs to eat, so i'd check to see what else is living in the wood of your home that the bird is after.