Honored Contributor

French Bulldog or Boston Terrier?

I have a wonderful Japanese Chin, Nick, who is 12 years 8 months old. He has severe heart disease and is on several medications for it at this time. I'm trying to prepare myself as much as I can for when he dies. I don't think it's really possible to prepare but am trying as much as I can. I had Cavalier King Charles Spaniels before Nick, and I've had cats, too, although not right now. I don't want another dog until Nick dies but want to have a breed and breeders picked out.

I'm researching breeds now, and French Bulldogs and Boston Terriers are at the top of the list of what I'd like to have next. I've been reading as much about these two breeds as I can find on the internet, and I have books about each of them.

I want a dog that's affectionate and preferably friendly with everyone. I would also be interested in a dog that is 2-3 years old but a puppy would be fine, too.

My dogs have all had wonderful very loving personalities. My Chin is a little clown and makes me laugh every day. I've heard that French Bulldogs have funny personalities, too, which is appealing to me.

Are they affectionate and friendly with strangers? How are they with other dogs? I keep my sister's shih tzu when they go out of town, and she needs to be about to keep my dog, too. Thank you very much.

Carol

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

Re: French Bulldog or Boston Terrier?

I have an 11 year old Boston who has never met anyone she didn't like, is very funny and wants to be around us all the time - but I wouldn't call her cuddly. She has her moments when she wants to be held and cuddled, but usually she's just happy to be with us or laying next to us. Everyone loves her when they meet her.

Although I think Frenchies are adorable, I've never had one - so I can't speak from personal experience on them. I will say that several years ago when I mentioned to my vet that I was considering getting one, she cautioned me that they have a lot of health issues because they were popular at the time and there were a lot of less than honorable breeders just trying to make a lot of money. I ended up never getting one because I couldn't find any close to me - but I'd consider getting one in the future if the appropriate opportunity came up.

Last year a friend of ours in a different state was basically told the same thing by her vet and her vet told her to stick with Pugs (which is what she has). The vet told her they were just as loving and funny as Frenchies and tended to be much healthier. Pugs are another breed I'd consider in the future.

As for your Nick - my heart goes out to you. When his time comes, you just have to remember you've done your best for him, given him a great life and now you have to help him one final time. He loves you and will know you're doing the best thing for him.

Honored Contributor

Wahoogaz,

Thanks so much for your reply. Your Boston sounds wonderful. Originally I was only considering Frenchies, but I know they have health issues, so I decided that a Boston would be really nice, too. My Vet cautioned me about Frenchies, too. I can't get them out of my mind though. I've been searching for breeders, and there are so many more Frenchie breeders near me than BT breeders. It's interesting that you mentioned Pugs. I've actually thought about Pugs, too. I know they are really nice dogs. I like the look of the ears on the frenchies and BT's better though. If I can find a reputable BT breeder that's probably what I will get. Thanks again.

Carol

-Henry David Thoreau

Contributor

I agree wholeheartedly with wahoogaz about your Nick. I have been in your shoes with many of my four-legged kids and it is so hard to lose them. But like wahoogaz said.. remember you did your best for him and he had one great dog life! If only we could come back in another lifetime and live the lives some of our dogs have! Hang in there.

I am a French bulldog owner. For over 20 years we always had English bulldogs. We love that breed, but decided when the last one passed away that we would get a smaller dog, but with a lot of the same characteristics as the bigger English bulldog. The Frenchie fit the bill perfectly. We purchased her from a reputable breeder that was about a two hour drive from where we live. She is 3 years old and we absolutely love her. Frenchies can be prone to skin, eye and breathing problems, but ours has had no eye or breathing problems, but has had a couple of bouts of skin bumps which had to be treated with antibiotics and baths. No big deal though. Our English bulldogs had their share of health issues, but we just did what needed to be done to take care of them and gave them extra doses of love. I always call my Frenchie my little clown. Her face is so comical and her actions match. She is a cuddler and loves to sleep at our feet at night and likes to curl up beside us on the sofa. She is very smart also. She gets along with other dogs just fine.

My mom (who lives with us) has had pugs for years. I really like them also. They are big love bugs. Hers have not had any significant health issues. I must warn you though, Frenchies and pugs shed quit a bit, so if you are someone who can't stand dog hair on the furniture, this breed might not be for you. It is a constant battle with vacuuming hair off the furniture and rugs.

I don't have any experience with Boston Terriers, except friends that have had them. I really like them too. They seem to be much more active than Frenchies or pugs. If you want a dog to go out jogging with you - a Frenchie or pug would not be the dog for you. They are not real active and even get less so with age. Also, all of these types of dogs cannot get overheated in the summer. No long walks when it is hot.

I really think you would enjoy any of the three breeds. I am not sure about where you live, but where I am, French bulldogs are a lot more expensive to purchase than pugs or Boston Terriers. Don't know if cost is a factor for you. The cost of their care would probably be about the same.

Don't know if this helped you or not. If you have any other questions about French bulldogs or pugs, let me know.

Honored Contributor

Dog Mom, thank you so much for your post. I'm not a very active person, although I would walk the dog at least once a day. A couch potato dog would be fine with me. I have a fenced back yard. I do know that they can't get over heated. My Chin has the smushed in face also, although not as much as the Frenchie, so I always think about that with him.

I knew that French Bulldogs were very expensive, but I've heard such a wide range of prices that I really have no idea what to expect. I have even less of an idea what a Boston Terrier would cost. Can you give me an idea of what a Frenchie would cost from a reputable breeder? I've heard everything from $2,000 - $4,000. Cost is a factor to me. More than the price of the dog originally, though, I'm thinking about Vet bills since Frenchies have so many health problems. I am in East Tennessee.

With my Chin (and Cavaliers in the past) the shedding is terrible. They leave fur balls all over the place. I'm sure frenchies and BT's shed, but it would be a different type of shedding.

Thank you again.

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Boston Terrier!! I love all the breeds, but have been owned by two Boston Terriers. Our Ike has been gone a year last month. Ike was the smartest dog we've ever owned and we've had a variety of breeds. This is a wonderful breed, friendly smart, hardly shed. My sweet Sydni was the love of my life. They are playful, pensive. They will be whatever you want them to be..wild and crazy when you want, couch potato when you want. Both of our Bostons were rescues that were about 18 months when they joined our family. Ike was about 14 when he died so they can be a long living breed. I love that classy black and white breed. Whatever you chose, good luck and best wishes to your baby Nick.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Contributor

I am in North Carolina so not too far from you. Around here French bulldogs cost closer to $2,000. If you get one that comes from championship "show dog" lineage, then you could easily spend $4,000 or more. I have never been interested in showing and always get a pet quality which cost less. I always spay ours and never breed them. I just always check out the parents and how healthy they are. I would think in Eastern TN you should be able to purchase a healthy well socialized puppy for around $1500 - $2200. Color and markings seem to drive the price somewhat also. Pugs seem to sell for $350.00 - $500 around here. I don't see a lot of Boston Terriers advertised, but it seems like they have been about the same price as pugs - maybe a little more towards $500.00, but I am not absolutely positive about that. Frenchies and pugs are both great for those who are not real active. They love snuggling up next to you for hours. Sounds like you are used to dog shedding and you are right about the hair just being different. As far as cost of upkeep, it sort of depends on what you consider is expensive. Many purebred dogs can have health issues specific to their breed, but so can mixed breed dogs. One thing to keep in mind is that pugs and Frenchies (BT's) too need very little grooming. A bath and toe nail trim and that is about it. I have friends who spend a small fortune on having their dogs hair cut and groomed. We really don't feel like we spend any more on vet bills than we would with any other breed. Vet care is just very expensive even for all the routine stuff. Again, hope this helps. Give your Nick big doses of love - that's always good medicine!
Honored Contributor

JoV, thanks for your reply. They are sounding like a really wonderful breed of dog. I'm sorry you lost your Ike last year.

Carol

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

On 2/27/2014 DogMom said: One thing to keep in mind is that pugs and Frenchies (BT's) too need very little grooming. A bath and toe nail trim and that is about it. I have friends who spend a small fortune on having their dogs hair cut and groomed. We really don't feel like we spend any more on vet bills than we would with any other breed. Vet care is just very expensive even for all the routine stuff. Again, hope this helps. Give your Nick big doses of love - that's always good medicine!

DogMom, thanks so much for telling me the price range for these dogs. I agree about the grooming. My sister has her shih tzu groomed every four weeks. I think I would rather put up with the shedding than take them to the groomer all the time.

Nick gets lots of love every day. He's probably the best dog I've ever had.Smile

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

On 2/28/2014 NickNack said:
On 2/27/2014 DogMom said: One thing to keep in mind is that pugs and Frenchies (BT's) too need very little grooming. A bath and toe nail trim and that is about it. I have friends who spend a small fortune on having their dogs hair cut and groomed. We really don't feel like we spend any more on vet bills than we would with any other breed. Vet care is just very expensive even for all the routine stuff. Again, hope this helps. Give your Nick big doses of love - that's always good medicine!

DogMom, thanks so much for telling me the price range for these dogs. I agree about the grooming. My sister has her shih tzu groomed every four weeks. I think I would rather put up with the shedding than take them to the groomer all the time.

Nick gets lots of love every day. He's probably the best dog I've ever had.Smile

I have a chin, his name is Biscuit. He lives with my ex, unfortunately..he will be 14 in June. He is gorgeous, a perfect dog and sweet as can be. I miss him. My dog is a little min pin, a doll and I adore her. My friend has an English bulldog, Olivia, she's a sweetheart. I love all dogs, lol!

I used to have shih tzus and a shih tzupoo..they're all precious! Biscuit also has heart problems and takes meds. I didn't know it was a breed problem, good to know!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West