Super Contributor

Does your dog(s) sleep up on the bed with you at night?

We let the dog visit for a few minutes .....but not sleep with us. She LOVES to come up for belly rubs and ear rubs....problem is that she is almost 90 pounds! No room for her!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does your dog(s) sleep up on the bed with you at night?

Emmy, my min pin loves her bed. She will sleep with me if I put her faux fur throw on the bed. She really is a diva dog..I love it, wouldn't have it any other way!{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

Dogs used to sleep on the bed, then I read how unhealthy this practice is. Every spring, my dogs get infested with ticks despite my efforts to curb them. I sure don't want ticks in my bed. My bed has gotten very high and now my older dogs can't comfortably jump up so things have worked out well.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

Don't have dogs, but one cat does. The other four all sleep together in the guest room in a big pile, so cute.
Honored Contributor

No, our dog is not allowed upstairs yet. Besides, he'd take up the whole bed! The one exception was when I was resting after a surgical procedure I had back in December. I was rather surprised when my DH brought him up to visit. We crate our boy at night, in our family room. We call it his bed and he very willingly goes in there after his last trip outside at night. I'm often up in the wee hours and right now our office area is at one end of the family room. Usually he stays asleep and I can watch tv or spend time on the computer, and then sneak out of the room without him noticing. If I wait too long and he wakes up, then forget it, he wants out. If I let him out and I stretch out on the couch, he's right up there with me, laying on top of me. He has no concept of space, or how much he takes up! He starts out stretched out on one end of the couch with his head resting on my hip, but he often works his way up to where he's sprawled out on top of me with his entire body laying on my side. He starts out with his head resting on my cheek, but eventually maneuvers himself to his back with his head leaning back and his belly exposed expecting a good rubbing. We've both fallen asleep in that position. He's got such a sweetness about him, not a mean bone in his body. I'm the only one he'll lay like that with. If I don't want him sprawled out on me, he'll lay down on the floor beside me, between the couch and the coffeetable.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/29/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

No, our dog is not allowed upstairs yet. Besides, he'd take up the whole bed! The one exception was when I was resting after a surgical procedure I had back in December. I was rather surprised when my DH brought him up to visit. We crate our boy at night, in our family room. We call it his bed and he very willingly goes in there after his last trip outside at night. I'm often up in the wee hours and right now our office area is at one end of the family room. Usually he stays asleep and I can watch tv or spend time on the computer, and then sneak out of the room without him noticing. If I wait too long and he wakes up, then forget it, he wants out. If I let him out and I stretch out on the couch, he's right up there with me, laying on top of me. He has no concept of space, or how much he takes up! He starts out stretched out on one end of the couch with his head resting on my hip, but he often works his way up to where he's sprawled out on top of me with his entire body laying on my side. He starts out with his head resting on my cheek, but eventually maneuvers himself to his back with his head leaning back and his belly exposed expecting a good rubbing. We've both fallen asleep in that position. He's got such a sweetness about him, not a mean bone in his body. I'm the only one he'll lay like that with. If I don't want him sprawled out on me, he'll lay down on the floor beside me, between the couch and the coffeetable.

What a sweet dog..!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

On 1/29/2014 emmiesmom said:
On 1/29/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

What a sweet dog..!

Thanks, emmiesmom! He really is a big, loyal loverboy, and such a blessing to my life. We got the best end of the deal when we adopted him. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Super Contributor

Hero is @ 72 lbs. He lets US sleep in his bed!

Respected Contributor

My Sunny sleeps in my bed about 1/2 the time. Some nights he starts in the bed and stays all night, sometimes leaves sometime during the night. Other nights he just goes to his bed and others he is on the sofa. He is such a sleepy dog now that he is 10 years old he isn't so finicky on where he beds down for the night. It just has to be soft and warm.

Love that DOG!!!

Super Contributor

On 1/29/2014 NChgOfMyAttitude said:

Hero is @ 72 lbs. He lets US sleep in his bed!