Better Than Black Friday
59 Members and 16981 Guests Online

Pet Lovers

''Our Pet possum'' Not really

Started 1374198572.447 in Pet Lovers | Last reply 1375240723.867 by Amber J

early this morning, 5 AM he was out at our front door eating the Purina Cat chow complete that I put out for the cats. He has to come a mile for this since that is the closest area and was where a railroad use to go, doesn't anymore but the tracks and land are still there and unused. I am sure that is where he and the skunk that come to eat must live.

He was within 3 inches of my front door, all glass storm door. I got down on my hands and knees and put the camera right up to the glass and he looked right at it and I snapped the picture. Now if only I could get the memory card into my tower? For some reason it just doesn't want to go in and I certainly don't want to louse something up. I am not very computer savvy to start with nor with my camera so, if I can get it I will download and try to post the picture, came out pretty good.

Sunday night I am to put the tender trap back out since they only do the spaying/neutering on Mondays so, every Sunday my trap will be put on the porch and sure hope we can get all 4 babies(haven't seen the black one though all week) as well as mommy's 2 brothers.

The possum is a very neat eater like the cats but not the skunk, very very messy, spills the dry food and the water all over so always have to clean up after he leaves. We don't live in a rural area, is all built up and in the city but a development of homes with properties only 70 feet wide so both the skunk and possum have to come a mile from where the old train tracks are( use to go to a home repair store and other stores that are no longer there, all built up with homes now. Skunks and possums are the only so called wild animals there are around here, nothing else other than mice and moles.

Page 1 of 1
colliemom31374201424.56716408 PostsRegistered 9/7/2010

I live in a subdivision and we have a couple that come in and out of our yard. I have no food out there for them. I've read that they do eat rats/mice etc. I've never seen any of those around here though. Maybe they are eating them? I've also seen one in the day walking around when they are nocturnal. It may have been confused or something woke it up. My dog went crazy barking at it.

doglover31374217893.3539890 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

We are up till at least 6 AM every morning and usually later so we too sleep during the day and only see him/her at night, very late night, well after midnight when we have our feral cats coming for food. This is why I have food out, Purina Dry Cat Chow Complete, for the feral cats. I am slowly catching them(feral cats) with the help of a volunteer who lends me the tender trap and paying to have them spayed/neutered.

They can't come into our yard since there is a cyclone fence around the sides and back yard and DH put a concrete walk around the whole fence line for our dogs so they wouldn't have just a mud path to drag into the house, mud. They can't dig under our fence since it has a bar on the bottom the same as the top than the concrete walk goes right to the bar so, dogs are safe in the yard and nothing other than small rabbits or mice can get in.

I don't know if this is the same possum or not but one has been coming since last summer to eat the cat chow, don't really mind, has to eat too I guess and if it walks this far to get here he must be hungry.

QsZoo1374248637.672250 PostsRegistered 8/21/2010

Aww-sweet story and you are a very tender hearted person:) I don't leave food out at the moment but I always leave a big water bowl out for whatever needs a drink. Luvs to the outside family too:) I got my feline part of the "zoo" this way.

doglover31374305887.7739890 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

same here QsZoo, am slowly getting our feral cats(mommy and her 4 babies and her 2 brothers)spayed/neutered. We have mommy done so have to trap the others yet. I have a heated water bowl out in winter but for summer I just change the water quite often day and night. I just can't see anything go hungry so do what we can. I thought mommy would be mad at us and we were told we probably wouldn't see her for a week or so but 2 days later there she was on our front porch with her little ones. The girl I borror the trap from guesses the babies around 2 months. I just wish our 3 dogs would be cat friendly.

QsZoo1374322096.8472250 PostsRegistered 8/21/2010

Mornin' doglover3-Hopefully you can get the little ones this weekend. Keeping my fingers crossed for you:)

Good thing you and I don't live close because there would be that BIG invisible sign over our neighborhood saying "Come One Come All! Free Food, Water, and Shelter Here!" There is a children's book called Always Room For One More. I feel like that sometimes:)

My various dogs did NOT like outside cats either but love the inside ones. Guess it is because they are part of the "pack" and they are guarding the home from interlopers:) They took much more easily to kittens than the older cats that showed up. Guess they could sense kittens were not a threat:)

Enjoy your weekend:)

Silver Lin­ing1374363499.1573656 PostsRegistered 4/15/2010

A great big possum used to come into the garage of my former home and eat the dry cat food. We called him "George" to refer to George Jones, a country singer who was called "Possom." I've seen possums, racoons, rats, mice, snakes, owls, hawks and unidentified critters in my current neighborhood. Several people have pecan and fruit trees and there are probably some backyard or patio vegetable gardens.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, doglover3, for helping the feral and homeless cats and kitties. You, too, QsZoo. Thank goodnes we can make a difference in the lives of a few.

doglover31374366655.829890 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I can't catch any till next Sunday night since where they do the spaying/neutering they are on vacation this week and only have a small staff to care for the animals that are there but don't doing any surgery at all this coming week. I will keep the trap out so they are use to seeing it but won't set it till next Sunday night. She e mailed me and said to just make sure they stay hydrated, keep fresh water out all the time, which of course I always do as well as food. When any are caught they are picked up on my front porch on a Monday morning between 6:30 and 7:30 AM since they only do the spaying/neutering on Monday's.

I do hope all the small ones are caught as well as mommy's brother and sister.

We just came from a local diner and the owner said there are 4 feral cats that live in the back of his diner and he feeds them and lets them live in the shed over the winter. I could see they certainly look well fed, don't look underfed at all that's for sure.

I thank all of you for all you do for all animals and wish there were a lot more people that cared.

maximillian1374376013.527222 PostsRegistered 4/16/2007

We also have a possum that visits our bird feeder for orioles. Part of the feeder has plastic cups that I fill with grape jelly. Also there are nails at the end to put up orange slices. I also had a round ball with ports for a liquid food. The possum has learned to come at night and finish off what the birds did not eat during the day. Sometimes in the morning all the parts are on the ground. He (or she) will also drink the oriole liquid. I don't really mind. My thought is that humans are taking the animal habitat. They were here before we were. They are just trying to stay alive, like the rest of us. We also have an occasional skunk, groundhog, rabbit, deer..bobcats, coyotes and bears aren't too far away. I put out water for them in these hot summer months.

colliemom31374380099.58716408 PostsRegistered 9/7/2010
On 7/20/2013 maximillian said:

We also have a possum that visits our bird feeder for orioles. Part of the feeder has plastic cups that I fill with grape jelly. Also there are nails at the end to put up orange slices. I also had a round ball with ports for a liquid food. The possum has learned to come at night and finish off what the birds did not eat during the day. Sometimes in the morning all the parts are on the ground. He (or she) will also drink the oriole liquid. I don't really mind. My thought is that humans are taking the animal habitat. They were here before we were. They are just trying to stay alive, like the rest of us. We also have an occasional skunk, groundhog, rabbit, deer..bobcats, coyotes and bears aren't too far away. I put out water for them in these hot summer months.

I don't mind the possums coming around either. I figure the creatures are just looking for something to eat. We do have a large bird bath outside and they must be finding something to eat around the area.

rosehill1374418292.53414 PostsRegistered 10/30/2007

My sister used to feed possums all the time. I like all animals-can't figure out how some people say terrible things about them because they have a rat like tail. I feel that everything that inhabits the earth has a right to live, just like people do. I don't feel the humans have any more rights on this earth, than other animals do. Always have felt that way.

QsZoo1374422909.9332250 PostsRegistered 8/21/2010

I absolutely LOVE reading about how so many people really do care about the creatures we share our world with!!! It helps counteract those stories about horrific people-for just a moment.

Thank you all for sharing:)

doglover31374492447.6439890 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I agree OsZoo, helps when you read those terrible stories about people that abuse animals and wish you could do more.

maxmillion, collie mom and rosehill, totally agree, they all have to eat. We don't have anything other than an occasion possum or skunk around here, nothing larger and agree, they all have to eat and if they like cat chow and the water, fine. The cats get enough to eat since I always have the dry Purina Cat Chow Complete out as well as fresh water and 3 times a day I put a can of canned cat food out,(when we see them otherwise it goes bad) should say at night since I don't see them during day light hours other than in winter when they are in the dogloo doghouse but we too sleep during the day and are up all night so is why we see to much going on. This possum sure doesn't seem nasty at all and will eat with us watching him/her as do the cats but through the glass storm door of course.

Amber J1375240723.8671214 PostsRegistered 6/8/2011

I loved this story!!! {#emotions_dlg.closedeyes} In fact, it's given me a new idea what to do with my boy's (Lucky dog in heaven) dry food here...... I sure miss all the little creatures...think I'll sprinkle it outside and see if I can get a few visitors like you!!......Sure would be great.

Years ago, I found a possum family living under my frig.....so CUTE....my cats were all fine with them.. I scooted them outside with my broom.....or so I thought....1 baby ran into my living room under the couch.....but I had no idea about the little fellow there............during a late night tv show, out creeps this tiny guy...(thinks he's well hidden, lol)....I quietly got up and put on heavy duty gloves from when I used to snow ski......I picked the little guy up and set him outside.....he was happy and so was I............what a good heart you have. Wish you could upload the pics....(the skunk got me good tho....was a dark porch and by the time I got my key into the lock, I smelled it.......looked down and he was there, tail UP on my right foot. I ran off screaming, he ran off scared too....poor guy...so tiny he was....I had to undress outside.. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}..then bath) I so love animals...Thank you again for your story.

.♪ ♫ ◠‿◠❀♡…I love animals
(¯`•♥•´¯)❀
★*•.¸.•*❤•.¸¸¸.•*`°ƸӜƷ
✿ ❀ ✿
\ĺ/ \ĺ/ \ĺ/ \ĺ/

Page 1 of 1