TSV(R) Preview
103 Members and 14295 Guests Online

Pet Lovers

Does anyone own a Maine Coon? Are they good mousers? Good with children?++

Started 1365602784.867 in Pet Lovers | Last reply 1365884861.477 by RJL-DLL 75

Books always portray any breed in a positive light (for the most part). I'd like to hear from those who have/do own one.

I've owned other breeds (some pound kittys, some not; some came in as kittens, some as adults) but I've always had a soft spot for the Maine Coon. :) TIA

Page 1 of 2
ok4ablonde21365607992.418837 PostsRegistered 3/9/2009Midwest

I have a Maine Coon, she will be 13 years old in July. I don't have kids or mice so I can't answer you, but I do know they are super intelligent and very lovable. She loves paper balls and leaves one outside my bedroom door as a gift every night after I go to bed.

photo ec6b36a3-2cde-4d5d-b8be-ac25a8f1f08f_zpsfb556b1d.jpg

Last edited on 4/10/2013

Last edited on 4/10/2013

"We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland

beauty jun­kie1365608012.8438369 PostsRegistered 11/1/2006Ft Laud

My Buddy was a maine coon mix and the best kitty ever.He had the most lovable personality,very much like a dog in a cat suit.lol He was an excellent hunter,they love to hunt.They have the cutest high pitched voices coming out of these big cats.I adore all cats but if I could get another maine coon I surely would.Even people I know who dislike cats,loved my boy.

The Rainbow Bridge-we do not remember days,we remember moments!!

okiebug1365623887.4333988 PostsRegistered 1/2/2008

We inherited our son's Maine Coon when he started traveling for work. Don't know about mice, but she loves to catch and eat moths, june bugs, etc. She has no fear and not a lot of common sense - lol, but is loveable. When she was at my son's townhouse, she would slide down the bannister. She occasionally will manage to get on top of my drapery rods, then tries to walk on the ceiling. She loves to get in boxes and sacks and wrestles with our rat terrier. Never seen her sit in proper cat snooty pose, she just flops like a rag doll. She's a funny cat.

57babe1365625706.558638 PostsRegistered 8/21/2010

I have two mixed breed Maine Coons. They are fabulous cats. Period. :)

I think the most outstanding feature of this particular breed is that they possess an intense love for their owners. They are extremely intuitive, sensitive and affectionate.

I think Maine Coons are a wonderful breed of cat to have as a pet for children.

I keep my cats inside so I don't know if they would be good mousers. I always suggest that people keep their pet cats inside because of the dangers they are exposed to while outside. But whether or not you allow your kitty to go outside is up to you. However, I would think they would be extraordinary mousers because of their sheer size and agility.

Here's one of my Maine Coon mix cats:

photo 5553c729-864f-41f2-a493-8f1604bd86f8_zps759423cd.jpg

He is one of the most sensitive, loving cats ever. :)

57babe1365626225.288638 PostsRegistered 8/21/2010

photo 297403af-4904-4458-aec8-9d8b289797ca_zpsaa1fdd29.jpg

Maine Coons are entertaining as well. Here's my girl taking a snooze. :)

Topaz Gem1365626425.7515985 PostsRegistered 10/31/2007Scenic New Hampshire

Maine Coons are wonderful family cats. Children still need to be taught how to respect a pet, though. Coon kitties are more like dogs than cats. They follow you around and choose to be wherever you are. My kitties will take a nap on the bathroom rug while I'm taking a bath or blow drying my hair. In fact, I have to blow dry them too (spoiled brats!) LOL. If I get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, one of them will walk with me to the bathroom, wait, and walk back to the bedroom with me, hopping up on the bed before I have a chance to get back in.

I agree with others that they are very sensitive and loving. One of my guys has to lie down on me the minute I sit down on the couch. He doesn't care if I need both my hands to type on the computer, read a book or the newspaper. They tend to be territorial with each other, which is amusing. When one of them is lying on my chest or in my lap and the other one jumps up, the first one leaves in a huff. They get very offended when the other one wants your attention when they had it first, LOL.

P.S. In my experience they are good mousers. My guys are indoor kitties, but when we go to the lake and stay in a cabin, they have met a mouse or two. They like to play with them first which is what cats do, but in the end, they do their proper job. Wink

Last edited on 4/10/2013

Last edited on 4/10/2013

Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower. ~ Albert Camus

burtonfan1365628043.477738 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I have two Maine Coons and they are very lovable. They take a few minutes to warm up to people they don't know but then they love all the attention they get.

They do act more like dogs than cats. They both follow me around the house and love to cuddle. They are both very vocal -- one talks and the other screeches.

Mine don't have a great track record as mousers. They've only had one chance that I know of and were so busy trying to decide who was going to get the mouse that neither of them ever got it. They don't seem to have a very long attention span. The cat we had before we got these two was much better in the mouser dept. . As soon as she heard a mouse she would run and then sit and wait until the mouse came out no matter how long it took. She would catch them and then play with them. My Maine Coons give up much sooner.

Last edited on 4/10/2013

Last edited on 4/10/2013

RJL-DLL 751365634996.111123 PostsRegistered 1/12/2008
On 4/10/2013 sahmIam said:

Books always portray any breed in a positive light (for the most part). I'd like to hear from those who have/do own one.

I've owned other breeds (some pound kittys, some not; some came in as kittens, some as adults) but I've always had a soft spot for the Maine Coon. :) TIA

I cannot help but notice that unlike your post in "Among Friends" you DID NOT ask if Maine Coons are good at hunting or controlling mice (not your exact words). When a few people encouraged you to keep your cat safe inside you got quite irate. Not sure why if you intend to keep this cat inside? I have 4 beautiful indoor only cats. With all the different diseases, some of which there are no available vaccines for, IF you want your cat to have a long, happy, safe life please make it an indoor only cat. Disease are only one hazard of being an outdoor cat. I was feeding a beautiful, part Maine Coon stray cat until I could catch him and bring him to the ARL. I caught him this past Thursday PM and brought him to be checked out. The Vet said that his whole body was covered with injuries and that he was also FIV positive. The Vet said that he had been thru a lot. The only solution was putting this precious baby down, ending his pain. Even with vaccinations a cat can still get sick with a disease. Please find another way to controll your mouse problem, its not the cats job and there are other ways. I am sure I will get some nasty replies to this post BUT, I don't care. Someone must be a voice for the voiceless!

Last edited on 4/10/2013

Last edited on 4/10/2013

Last edited on 4/10/2013

lolakimono1365636442.19313755 PostsRegistered 3/29/2012

Only indoor catnip mice here, but I have had 3 Maine Coons, and I will gladly put up with allergy shots to keep my kitties. The last of my coons is almost 16, and she is the nicest cat ever. They are known as the "gentle giants" and of all the cat breeds they are probably the most compatible with children. Like any cat, they need to get accustomed to small children, but they do like companionship. They require grooming, so you will need to commit to keeping their fur groomed.

RJL-DLL 751365639534.6331123 PostsRegistered 1/12/2008
On 4/10/2013 57babe said:

photo 297403af-4904-4458-aec8-9d8b289797ca_zpsaa1fdd29.jpg

Maine Coons are entertaining as well. Here's my girl taking a snooze. :)

She is beautiful. Looks like she wants a belly rub!

RJL-DLL 751365639656.6171123 PostsRegistered 1/12/2008
On 4/10/2013 57babe said:

I have two mixed breed Maine Coons. They are fabulous cats. Period. :)

I think the most outstanding feature of this particular breed is that they possess an intense love for their owners. They are extremely intuitive, sensitive and affectionate.

I think Maine Coons are a wonderful breed of cat to have as a pet for children.

I keep my cats inside so I don't know if they would be good mousers. I always suggest that people keep their pet cats inside because of the dangers they are exposed to while outside. But whether or not you allow your kitty to go outside is up to you. However, I would think they would be extraordinary mousers because of their sheer size and agility.

Here's one of my Maine Coon mix cats:

photo 5553c729-864f-41f2-a493-8f1604bd86f8_zps759423cd.jpg

He is one of the most sensitive, loving cats ever. :)

He is a beauty too!

beastielove1365649067.4579241 PostsRegistered 8/11/2008Another galaxy, far, far away

sahmiam...

I used to have a Maine Coon who I named Tigger and that boy was my heart. He grew to be quite large,almost the size of a small dog, and he possessed a very loving nature and a kind and gentle soul.

I kept Tigger indoors 24/7 and he did catch the few mice that made the big mistake of venturing into the cottage.

I am currently "mommy" to four other kitties (all rescues) and they also stay inside 24/7.

Should you decide to get a Maine Coon, or any kitty for that matter, I pray that you'll keep the kitty inside. There are too many dangers outside that sadly prove to be fatal.

--------------------------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^={#emotions_dlg.wub}

DorothyToo1365651786.031450 PostsRegistered 8/9/2012East of Big D, TX

57babe - Beautiful/handsome kitties!

OP - I never had a Maine Coon but, when I worked for vets, they had some of the best dispositions & were always easy to treat. I totally agree w/all the other posters who said to PLEASE, PLEASE keep whatever kitties you get indoors 24/7. The outdoors is a very dangerous place for all the above reasons. My kitty doesn't even want to go outside.

DToo & Ms Scoots -^..^-

Will Rogers said, "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went." - My ideal Heaven will also include cats, other pets & all those animals who wanted to be pets, too.

aubnwa011365661954.1536876 PostsRegistered 10/18/2004Cortaro, AZ

I adopted my Maine Coon mix girl, Boo, about 2 years ago when she was about 2. She's an indoor only kitty & a total sweetheart. She thinks she a little delicate flower, when she's 10 lbs of solid cat & when she walks on you, you know you've been walked on!

She's my first Maine Coon kitty, but she's a big love & my constant companion, day & night. If I leave the house, when I return I find she's taken her toys & hauled them in & put them around my bed or in my closet! Not sure why she does it, but it's cute! When I first got her, I did some reading online about Maine Coons & one thing I read said they want to be you buddy not your baby & that's true of her. She's more like a dog.

Here's Boo & her cute little white "boo'stache"!

photo Oct212011Boo001.jpg

"Always Be A Little Kinder Than Necessary"-James M. Barrie

ok4ablonde21365681855.3078837 PostsRegistered 3/9/2009Midwest

aubnawa01 and 57babe, your Maine Coons are gorgeous!

"We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland

beauty jun­kie1365693853.3738369 PostsRegistered 11/1/2006Ft Laud

I love seeing all the pictures of these beautiful cats. I just love maine coons.If you do indeed get one,please don't let it go outside.Its not a safe place,too many crazy people out there.I am lucky and have a large screen enclosed patio so my Cookie is outside a lot but always safe.As far as hunting,we get these small lizards in the house here in Fl and boy did Buddy have a time hunting them.My Cookie does too.

The Rainbow Bridge-we do not remember days,we remember moments!!

mousiegirl1365721668.74314682 PostsRegistered 10/20/2007

Yes, and they are great rat catchers.

glmama1365724290.66319891 PostsRegistered 12/8/2006

Just had to chime in that I'm a life long cat lover and I've adored Maine Coons for years. Love their look and what I've heard about them. Our cats have been adopted, but if I could adopt a Maine Coon, I would! And Blonde, your cat is beautiful!

Over 40. Dark hair. Fair, with mild-moderate Rosacea. Finicky skin. Did I mention--Gorgeous? ;)

glmama1365724375.65719891 PostsRegistered 12/8/2006

aubwn-Your cat is gorgeous, too! AND so happy to hear that yours were adopted--I've thought that they might be hard to find via a rescue or adoption agency.

Over 40. Dark hair. Fair, with mild-moderate Rosacea. Finicky skin. Did I mention--Gorgeous? ;)

aubnwa011365733939.9636876 PostsRegistered 10/18/2004Cortaro, AZ
On 4/11/2013 glmama said:

aubwn-Your cat is gorgeous, too! AND so happy to hear that yours were adopted--I've thought that they might be hard to find via a rescue or adoption agency.

I adopted her from the local Humane Society. They told me that her original family was having a baby & I don't understand why, but no longer wanted her around. Then, another person adopted her & she & their other kitty didn't get along, so she got returned to the HS, where I found her & fell in love & the rest is history (or HERstory!) Their loss is my gain! She's a perfect fit with me & I adore her!

{#emotions_dlg.tt1}

"Always Be A Little Kinder Than Necessary"-James M. Barrie

sahmIam1365798993.881178 PostsRegistered 9/25/2005
On 4/10/2013 RJL-DLL 75 said:
On 4/10/2013 sahmIam said:

I cannot help but notice that unlike your post in "Among Friends" you DID NOT ask if Maine Coons are good at hunting or controlling mice (not your exact words). When a few people encouraged you to keep your cat safe inside you got quite irate. Not sure why if you intend to keep this cat inside? I have 4 beautiful indoor only cats. With all the different diseases, some of which there are no available vaccines for, IF you want your cat to have a long, happy, safe life please make it an indoor only cat. Disease are only one hazard of being an outdoor cat. I was feeding a beautiful, part Maine Coon stray cat until I could catch him and bring him to the ARL. I caught him this past Thursday PM and brought him to be checked out. The Vet said that his whole body was covered with injuries and that he was also FIV positive. The Vet said that he had been thru a lot. The only solution was putting this precious baby down, ending his pain. Even with vaccinations a cat can still get sick with a disease. Please find another way to controll your mouse problem, its not the cats job and there are other ways. I am sure I will get some nasty replies to this post BUT, I don't care. Someone must be a voice for the voiceless!

Last edited on 4/10/2013

Last edited on 4/10/2013

To RJL-DLL 75:

Well, excuse me for NOT using the EXACT same words in both posts. I had no idea that it was a requirement when asking the same question on two different boards. So good to know that there are people like you who make sure to check up on that and then point it out. Makes me feel so much safer at night.

Bottom line folks: whether or not I intend to keep my cat inside or not is not your business. Considering the assumptions that take place, however, it's not surprising that people may post once and then never return.

For what it's worth: my house backs to woods and a large stream. Wildlife is everywhere. And quite often, mice come in. I don't know why, maybe because I have kids who leave crumbs around. Maybe because it's warm and dry. Maybe because they don't want to be eaten by the foxes, owls, snakes and other creatures that roam. I just know I don't like having them in my house. I also hate traps. I love cats. Let's see, that's makes for a GREAT idea: a house cat that can keep mice away. Hmm.....

I have been told that Maine Coons are very loving and great with kids. I have also been told they are lazy and do nothing but sleep. Having a cat that looks at mice while they scurry along is NOT a cat I need in my house. So, I was trying to find out HERE what the real scoop was.

To those that answered without judgement/presumption? I thank you. To the rest? Thank YOU for showing me this is NOT a forum I wish to participate in.

Sabatini21365800838.0333015 PostsRegistered 11/13/2010

I answered you in Among Friends.

beastielove1365818071.3179241 PostsRegistered 8/11/2008Another galaxy, far, far away

sahmlam...

I just read your last post (#21) and I think that you were way out of line with some of your rude comments.

There were quite a few of us (including me) who suggested that you keep your kitty indoors. None of us were telling you what to do. We were only trying to help you.

Please note that there is a big difference between suggesting and telling.

I've seen countless threads where the same suggestion was made and not once did I ever see a snarky response like yours. Your presence on this forum will not be missed.

-------------------------------------------------

Last edited on 4/12/2013

Last edited on 4/12/2013

Luvmycats1365818772.214727 PostsRegistered 8/15/2007

I have a Maine Coone and absolutely ADORE him (I have other cats as well)- He is the sweetest cat in the world. He actually goes for walks with me (not on a leash) and is frioendly with everyone he sees. He has cost me a fortune though- $5,000 over the past few yrs; mouth infection, etc... He is a very special guy!

PS- YES, he is (unfortunately) an amazing mouser-(gross!!!) He is very patient and will sit in the grass (backyard) and wait for hrs-LOL

PSS-Just saw the kitty photos- LOVE!!!!!

Last edited on 4/12/2013

Last edited on 4/12/2013

DorothyToo1365820722.9131450 PostsRegistered 8/9/2012East of Big D, TX
On 4/12/2013 beastielove said:

sahmlam...

I just read your last post (#21) and I think that you were way out of line with some of your rude comments.

There were quite a few of us (including me) who suggested that you keep your kitty indoors. None of us were telling you what to do. We were only trying to help you.

Please note that there is a big difference between suggesting and telling.

I've seen countless threads where the same suggestion was made and not once did I ever see a snarky response like yours. Your presence on this forum will not be missed.

-------------------------------------------------

Last edited on 4/12/2013

ITA! OP-Your presence will not be missed!

Last edited on 4/12/2013

Last edited on 4/12/2013

DToo & Ms Scoots -^..^-

Will Rogers said, "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went." - My ideal Heaven will also include cats, other pets & all those animals who wanted to be pets, too.

Page 1 of 2