TSV(R) Preview
137 Members and 10671 Guests Online

Pet Lovers

3 month old puppy won't quit biting

Started 1365170506.42 in Pet Lovers | Last reply 1365273695.11 by luvpoos
replies
I put this question in viewpoints and they suggested I try here also. I am a first time pet owner. We got this half schnauzer and terrier at 6 weeks old which I am finding out is really too young to take away from mother. We just want to live on her but she is nipping and biting the whole time you have her in your arms. Plenty of toys, have tried saying no real loud, then putting her in her room for a few minutes and going get her and she starts it all over again. Any help would be appreciated, as we love her and want to love on her.

Page 1 of 1
DorothyToo1365171977.731450 PostsRegistered 8/9/2012East of Big D, TX

Normally, 6 wks is not too young. Had the mother weaned her? As far as biting goes, she is teething. Patience & persistent discipline is best, IMO. Saying no loudly & putting her down every time she does it would be good. You have to be very consistent. Do the same thing every time. If you're not, they get confused.

You could try giving her an ice cube or two somewhere it won't matter if she gets the floor wet. It might help cool her gums. I haven't had a puppy in a while but try looking @ a pet store to see if they make anything to ease the teething. Maybe some of the other posters would know??

DToo & Ms Scoots -^..^-

Will Rogers said, "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went." - My ideal Heaven will also include cats, other pets & all those animals who wanted to be pets, too.

Floppo1365178001.96513 PostsRegistered 4/7/2012

I feel she needed more time with her mom who would discipline her but anyway, pet stores sell various puppy items you can freeze . My puppy is older ---got her at 6 months and now is about 9 months old. She's through teething now but she liked the split antlers(showing the marrow) and the soft Nylabones that are chicken flavored(had flecks in it)--anything along that line... closely supervised of course!

My dog is supposedly a schnoodle---recently had to have her upper baby tooth removed as it was preventing the adult tooth from growing in straight. Keep this in mind as your pup gets around 8-9 months as these little loves tend to have that problem.

CamilleP1365180006.3433374 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007Oregon

As a former Scottie breeder, I can GUARANTEE you that she was only HALF the age she should have been when you got her. Small breed puppies should never be seperated from their mothers and litters until 12 weeks of age! It isn't the nursing that's important at that age, of course the mother has weaned them by then! It's the social interaction that is critical, and your puppy got almost none of it. Bite inhibition is taught by the mother of the litter and the littermates, and your puppy has none. If you cannot find a dog trainer experienced with very young puppies to get individual. in-home training from, (your puppy is WAY too young to go to a class, she hasn't even come close to getting enough vaccines on board to be protected against diseases that WILL kill her if she gets them!) then you need to start teaching bite inhibition yourself.

When your puppy mouths you, sceam like bloody murder. I am not joking. If you are holding her, put her down, if you are down at her level, turn away from her, and draw your arms and hands in close to your body. Ignore her, give her no interaction whatsoever. Let a minute or two pass, then start playing with her again. If she mouths, repeat the scream and the total refusal to interact. It is going to get old, I know, but what would have taken a repetition or two in a 12 week old puppy with poor bite inhibition is going to take dozens and dozens of reps in your puppy. Do NOT strike, swat, or poke at the puppy, that is just escalating the "game" in your puppies' eyes, and they will escalate as well. Scream, as loud and high-pitched as you can, indicating to the pup that she has caused you pain by her behaviour, then turn and walk away, make no eye contact, do not talk to her at all. If she chases you and grabs at your ankles, scream again, pick her up, and put her in her crate, close the door, and walk away. Presuming that you have a crate. If you don't, get one. Odds are, in a week or so, your puppy will stop nipping and mouthing, but keep up the screaming and social cut-off as long as it takes for her to "get it". Do not play tug-of-war or other "combat" style games with her, but let her bite, shake and "kill" her toys all she wants, they are not living things and should be fair game for her to be aggressive with. Speak to your vet and get a timetable for her to complete her puppy series shots, and then, once she's medically protected, sign her up for puppy kindergarten, she can benefit from playing with other puppies who were with their mothers a proper time, as they can teach her the finer points of social interaction that her littermates would have taught her.

namealread­ytaken1365181045.237733 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009

Puppies are used to wrestling and snapping and biting with their siblings and mother. That is how they bond, and then they all get along after the wrestling for a session of nursing and sleeping, but your puppy is indicative of a baby leaving the nest too soon. Good advice and I think the shaking of toys is what I have seen from people who rescued puppies that were abandoned too early.

I had a kitty that left its mother too soon once and it wanted me to bond with it, cleaning its bottom by licking it {#emotions_dlg.wub}. I just was not that much into bonding, and for years, he would stick his rear end in my face "asking me" to clean him like his mommy. Oh, dear. I do love cats or I would have abandoned that one {#emotions_dlg.lol}.

DorothyToo1365183923.6071450 PostsRegistered 8/9/2012East of Big D, TX
On 4/5/2013 CamilleP said:

As a former Scottie breeder, I can GUARANTEE you that she was only HALF the age she should have been when you got her. Small breed puppies should never be seperated from their mothers and litters until 12 weeks of age! It isn't the nursing that's important at that age, of course the mother has weaned them by then! It's the social interaction that is critical, and your puppy got almost none of it. Bite inhibition is taught by the mother of the litter and the littermates, and your puppy has none. If you cannot find a dog trainer experienced with very young puppies to get individual. in-home training from, (your puppy is WAY too young to go to a class, she hasn't even come close to getting enough vaccines on board to be protected against diseases that WILL kill her if she gets them!) then you need to start teaching bite inhibition yourself.

When your puppy mouths you, sceam like bloody murder. I am not joking. If you are holding her, put her down, if you are down at her level, turn away from her, and draw your arms and hands in close to your body. Ignore her, give her no interaction whatsoever. Let a minute or two pass, then start playing with her again. If she mouths, repeat the scream and the total refusal to interact. It is going to get old, I know, but what would have taken a repetition or two in a 12 week old puppy with poor bite inhibition is going to take dozens and dozens of reps in your puppy. Do NOT strike, swat, or poke at the puppy, that is just escalating the "game" in your puppies' eyes, and they will escalate as well. Scream, as loud and high-pitched as you can, indicating to the pup that she has caused you pain by her behaviour, then turn and walk away, make no eye contact, do not talk to her at all. If she chases you and grabs at your ankles, scream again, pick her up, and put her in her crate, close the door, and walk away. Presuming that you have a crate. If you don't, get one. Odds are, in a week or so, your puppy will stop nipping and mouthing, but keep up the screaming and social cut-off as long as it takes for her to "get it". Do not play tug-of-war or other "combat" style games with her, but let her bite, shake and "kill" her toys all she wants, they are not living things and should be fair game for her to be aggressive with. Speak to your vet and get a timetable for her to complete her puppy series shots, and then, once she's medically protected, sign her up for puppy kindergarten, she can benefit from playing with other puppies who were with their mothers a proper time, as they can teach her the finer points of social interaction that her littermates would have taught her.

I do agree about the vaccinations but, well, I guess some other "rules" have changed since I worked for vets for 30 yrs or could it be that maybe everyone has their own opinion?

DToo & Ms Scoots -^..^-

Will Rogers said, "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went." - My ideal Heaven will also include cats, other pets & all those animals who wanted to be pets, too.

57babe1365191992.3638638 PostsRegistered 8/21/2010

I wrote you a more detailed post on your other thread about trying some double-sided sticky tape on your hands (post #6 on your thread with same title on Viewpoints.)

I thought that since the double sided sticky tape worked to stop my rescue cat from biting my ankles, (I put it around the hem of my jeans) it might work if you put some on your hands or on some gloves and see if that stops her from biting.

Cats don't like the feel of the tape on their paws (or their tongue.) I thought it might work to discourage your puppy from biting as well. I don't think it would hurt his tongue at all -- but it may feel wierd enough to discourage her from repeating the experience.

conlt1365215226.1071814 PostsRegistered 5/22/2007
She was too young to go. Puppies need to stay with mom to at least 8 weeks for socialization and correction from mom. If they bite too hard mom will put her mouth over their snout. You might take her snout in her hand and say a firm no. It will take a while.

Kat 131365255617.79858 PostsRegistered 7/6/2011

Hi...

Same thing happened to us...

After our 1st Westie passed at age 16, we did get the "Puppy" at age
7 weeks......He is now 11 years old.

Up until about 3 months he would constantly bite us ALL OVER
when we held him.......

We just kept yelling.....NO BITES !!!......NO BITES !!!

We still use that phrase for anything we do not want him to do...
For instance...... barking at the UPS guy, a passer-by or the deer in our yard.......

Don't worry, I am sure your PUP will eventually stop.....
"Puppy", that is his name stopped....... after all of his baby teeth fell out !!!

Just Love her !!!Kiss

Last edited on 4/6/2013

Last edited on 4/6/2013

luvpoos1365273695.115905 PostsRegistered 5/3/2006Kingston Ma

I know this sounds mean, but I bought a standard poodle from a breeder, she was with her mother for 4 months, she doesn't let them go before that age. She was a terrible biter and a big puppy compared to our other dogs. I took her to obedience school and the trainer suggested a muzzle. I was really hesitant about this but I was also watching my 6 month old grandson at the time. I put it on and off of her for about two days. She hated it. Come the third day, I pulled it out of the cabinet and she immediately turned around and walked away. I never had to use it after that.

you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, well you just might find, that you get what you need...The Rolling Stones

Page 1 of 1