Better Than Black Friday
19 Members and 15879 Guests Online

Pet Lovers

Cow Hooves

Started 1360685318.09 in Pet Lovers | Last reply 1361739248.373 by NeNe1010

O.K. I have gotten mixed reviews on cow hooves as chews. I have read that they can chip teeth and sharp shards can get caught in dogs stomach and I have heard they are great chews- long lasting, no calories etc. Does anyone here give their dog cow hooves? Grace is not an aggressive chewer but currently enjoys Bully Sticks and Himalayn chews. Cow hooves are cheaper so I was hoping to use incorporate them into her things to chew on. Thanks for any opinions or info.

Be who you are. Say what you feel. Those who mind dont matter. Those who matter dont mind. Dr. Seuss

Page 1 of 1
Floppo1360785163.397520 PostsRegistered 4/7/2012

The cow hooves tend to splinter and although you have a dog that isn't an aggressive chewer, those hooves are very smelly from what I recollect from years ago. Antlers are suppose to be long lasting. None of my dogs care for them though. The antlers are rather $$$$.

JeanLouise­Finch1360797050.411412 PostsRegistered 10/3/2011

I was wondering about cow hooves and pig ears myself. Being a new dog mom, I bought some rawhide bones. I remembered something about bleach so I asked the store clerk who suggested the compressed bones. Well, I confess, I bought a few. The dog did fine, but I had reservations about continuing them and haven't. In fact, I returned the unopened ones. I bought an elk antler (recommended) and not sure I'm thrilled with that either. I wonder about splintering or breaking teeth so I've taken that away for now, too. For the most part, our dog likes chewing on those big knotted string ropes. His p**p can be colorful at times, but I don't think it's harming anything. He also likes the chewy toys. The so-called indestructible rubber isn't always so indestructable so I have to watch him. Just the other day he got a big chunk off the Kong bone so out it went. His birthday is coming up soon so I have a new one and some other things waiting for him.

As for the cow hooves...yes cows stand in and roll in "that", but between the barnyard and the store shelf, there's been strict cleaning and processing so that part wouldn't be an issue for me. Splintering would matter more. I wonder if people who buy the several hundred dollar leather purses think about what the cow has rolled in? LOL

So back to my wondering....what about pig ears?

luvpoos1360798517.6936137 PostsRegistered 5/3/2006Kingston Ma

Well I have three dogs, all adults now and have been buying Purina's Busy Bone Raw Hides, chicken flavor, for several years now, from the grocery store. One of them could care less about them, but our little chi chi will lick and chew on one for about and hour, then our standard poodle will take over. She doesn't like them right out of the box, weird. I have tried the cow hoofs and pigs ears once and they all got sick, not a pretty picture. They don't actually eat the raw hide, just chew for awhile, then I toss them. Their vet sees no problem with them either.

you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, well you just might find, that you get what you need...The Rolling Stones

Cheryl A S­ophie1360814980.907954 PostsRegistered 10/20/2007
I have had a good luck with hooves. As a proud new owner :D I am careful what I provide Sophie. She is a chewer, 18 lb terrier mix. We can't provide soft toys as she chews them up, not for squeaky parts, just plays with those but chews off ears, nose areas jaw areas oh my! Buffalo esphagus lasted several solo times but I think that was because she initially just licked it. I got a 9 inch braided beef tendon thinking would last, we went out for a movie and it was gone before we came home. Hooves she chews daily but they last. Tried elk antlers, no interest other then sometimes licking. Thought about pigs ears or snout but think it would be short lived also. I can't use kongs as I am allergic to rubber. She loves nylabones though, got bigger one of those, the long lasting one. Thought about smaller antlers but leery as same type thing as elk antlers, $$$ and she ignores it.

Ban the Deed not the Breed.
Spay and Neuter your pet

CrazyDaisy1360839883.991974 PostsRegistered 6/19/2008

My dog never had interest in cow hooves. She does like antlers. Although she is not a puppy anymore she will gnaw on one from time to time. I have never seen antlers splinter even with aggressive chewers.

My dog is more interested in chewing on things she can eat. I like bully sticks and raw bones. Things like pigs ears are more of a special treat rather than something to chew.

After she stared chocking on a piece of raw hide (I had to pull it out of her throat so she could breath), I never gave her another one. I was grateful I was right next to her and saw what was happening. If I had been in the other room, she may not be here now. It was at that point I decided that she would not chew on things that she could not eat. Thing they ingest that can not be easily digested can and often do cause blockages.

CrazyDaisy1360840566.0271974 PostsRegistered 6/19/2008
On 2/13/2013 JeanLouiseFinch said:

I was wondering about cow hooves and pig ears myself. Being a new dog mom, I bought some rawhide bones. I remembered something about bleach so I asked the store clerk who suggested the compressed bones. Well, I confess, I bought a few. The dog did fine, but I had reservations about continuing them and haven't. In fact, I returned the unopened ones. I bought an elk antler (recommended) and not sure I'm thrilled with that either. I wonder about splintering or breaking teeth so I've taken that away for now, too. For the most part, our dog likes chewing on those big knotted string ropes. His p**p can be colorful at times, but I don't think it's harming anything. He also likes the chewy toys. The so-called indestructible rubber isn't always so indestructable so I have to watch him. Just the other day he got a big chunk off the Kong bone so out it went. His birthday is coming up soon so I have a new one and some other things waiting for him.

As for the cow hooves...yes cows stand in and roll in "that", but between the barnyard and the store shelf, there's been strict cleaning and processing so that part wouldn't be an issue for me. Splintering would matter more. I wonder if people who buy the several hundred dollar leather purses think about what the cow has rolled in? LOL

Please be careful with the string toys. Those strings can cause an intestinal blockage. Playing and chewing is fine, eating the strings can cause problems.

Last edited on 2/14/2013

Last edited on 2/14/2013

candys mine1360844379.063434 PostsRegistered 8/20/2012

This is years ago but my lab enjoyed them. He never had any trouble with them splintering it seemed when they got drooled on they softened up a bit. BUT OH BOY DO THEY STINK! and so his breath stank too after he'd been chewing the hooves. So did the cushion he'd chew them on. Be prepaired! Guess they made more of an impression on me than I thought!

JeanLouise­Finch1360863504.311412 PostsRegistered 10/3/2011
On 2/14/2013 CrazyDaisy said:

I was wondering about cow hooves and pig ears myself. Being a new dog mom, I bought some rawhide bones. I remembered something about bleach so I asked the store clerk who suggested the compressed bones. Well, I confess, I bought a few. The dog did fine, but I had reservations about continuing them and haven't. In fact, I returned the unopened ones. I bought an elk antler (recommended) and not sure I'm thrilled with that either. I wonder about splintering or breaking teeth so I've taken that away for now, too. For the most part, our dog likes chewing on those big knotted string ropes. His p**p can be colorful at times, but I don't think it's harming anything. He also likes the chewy toys. The so-called indestructible rubber isn't always so indestructable so I have to watch him. Just the other day he got a big chunk off the Kong bone so out it went. His birthday is coming up soon so I have a new one and some other things waiting for him.<br /> <br /> As for the cow hooves...yes cows stand in and roll in "that", but between the barnyard and the store shelf, there's been strict cleaning and processing so that part wouldn't be an issue for me. Splintering would matter more. I wonder if people who buy the several hundred dollar leather purses think about what the cow has rolled in? LOL

Please be careful with the string toys. Those strings can cause an intestinal blockage. Playing and chewing is fine, eating the strings can cause problems.

Last edited on 2/14/2013

Oh boy, those are potentially bad, too? I swear, for everything I try there's a negative about it. I thought the string would be the safest of all and not break his teeth.

chickenbutt1360864308.4824678 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown
On 2/14/2013 CrazyDaisy said:

I was wondering about cow hooves and pig ears myself. Being a new dog mom, I bought some rawhide bones. I remembered something about bleach so I asked the store clerk who suggested the compressed bones. Well, I confess, I bought a few. The dog did fine, but I had reservations about continuing them and haven't. In fact, I returned the unopened ones. I bought an elk antler (recommended) and not sure I'm thrilled with that either. I wonder about splintering or breaking teeth so I've taken that away for now, too. For the most part, our dog likes chewing on those big knotted string ropes. His p**p can be colorful at times, but I don't think it's harming anything. He also likes the chewy toys. The so-called indestructible rubber isn't always so indestructable so I have to watch him. Just the other day he got a big chunk off the Kong bone so out it went. His birthday is coming up soon so I have a new one and some other things waiting for him.<br /> <br /> As for the cow hooves...yes cows stand in and roll in "that", but between the barnyard and the store shelf, there's been strict cleaning and processing so that part wouldn't be an issue for me. Splintering would matter more. I wonder if people who buy the several hundred dollar leather purses think about what the cow has rolled in? LOL

Last edited on 2/14/2013

So very very true (bolded by me). We lived that and it was scary. I thought they seemed harmless but, over a period of time, he was ingesting the strings from the rope toys and they turned into two big balls inside his tummy. We were lucky, but it could have gone the other way.

As for cow hooves, pigs' ears, bull p3nises, etc - I don't know, maybe I'm just too squeamish but it just does not seem like a good idea. I know they need to chew, but I think there are better choices. Plus, I truly believe these items are unhealthy for them to be ingesting.

I feel badly because our guy can only have totally indestructible (goughnuts.com) toys because he had so many incidences and problems when he started destroying regular toys.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

kachina624136090362816674 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004New Mexico
These chews made of animal by-products like hooves and pig ears can be dangerous. The can be infected with salmonella which probably won't affect the dog but it might make YOU or a child very sick. You handle these things and your dog that has been chewing on them licks you. It's easy to transmit the bacteria from dog to person. I wouldn't have them in my house. Whatever happened to old-fashioned bones? About once a month I go to a butcher shop and buy some big round knuckle bones for my dogs. They have to chew them outside until they've chewed all the meat and fat off of them, then they can bring them in the house. They'll chew them for weeks and they're cheap. These bones are so popular that they have them bagged in the freezer case ready to go. Raw bones will not splinter.Last edited on 2/14/2013

Last edited on 2/14/2013

CrazyDaisy1360925359.7071974 PostsRegistered 6/19/2008
On 2/14/2013 kachina624 said: These chews made of animal by-products like hooves and pig ears can be dangerous. The can be infected with salmonella which probably won't affect the dog but it might make YOU or a child very sick. You handle these things and your dog that has been chewing on them licks you. It's easy to transmit the bacteria from dog to person. I wouldn't have them in my house. Whatever happened to old-fashioned bones? About once a month I go to a butcher shop and buy some big round knuckle bones for my dogs. They have to chew them outside until they've chewed all the meat and fat off of them, then they can bring them in the house. They'll chew them for weeks and they're cheap. These bones are so popular that they have them bagged in the freezer case ready to go. Raw bones will not splinter.Last edited on 2/14/2013

There is very little chance of bacteria from these products. They are likely processed to eliminate any bacteria and treated with preservatives. While I also like using raw bones, I am much more concerned about bacteria with them. I never leave them round for more than a couple days.

As far as by-products, in many parts of the world they are delicacies. To a dog they are also some of the most desirable parts of the animal. One of my dogs favorate special treats is "green tripe snacks". It is the freeze dryed stomach with the last meal still there. If you can get past the smell, it is a very healthy snack.

NeNe10101360940325.45610 PostsRegistered 4/15/2008Central Indiana

Thanks everyone. Strangely I havent noticed any smell from this cow hoove. I even picked it up and put it close to my nose. I bought it a Petsmart and it is by Dentley. Maybe if they can make Bully Sticks odor free now they can now make cow hooves order free? Anyway Grace is just chewing small arears of it and it does seem to soften somewhat over time making it less brittle. I have also read they help keep tarter off the dogs teeth in the same way raw bones do so they are officially in her things to chew on list now. Thanks again!

Be who you are. Say what you feel. Those who mind dont matter. Those who matter dont mind. Dr. Seuss

kachina6241360971118.2516674 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004New Mexico
On 2/15/2013 CrazyDaisy said:
On 2/14/2013 kachina624 said: These chews made of animal by-products like hooves and pig ears can be dangerous. The can be infected with salmonella which probably won't affect the dog but it might make YOU or a child very sick. You handle these things and your dog that has been chewing on them licks you. It's easy to transmit the bacteria from dog to person. I wouldn't have them in my house. Whatever happened to old-fashioned bones? About once a month I go to a butcher shop and buy some big round knuckle bones for my dogs. They have to chew them outside until they've chewed all the meat and fat off of them, then they can bring them in the house. They'll chew them for weeks and they're cheap. These bones are so popular that they have them bagged in the freezer case ready to go. Raw bones will not splinter.Last edited on 2/14/2013

There is very little chance of bacteria from these products. They are likely processed to eliminate any bacteria and treated with preservatives. While I also like using raw bones, I am much more concerned about bacteria with them. I never leave them round for more than a couple days.

As far as by-products, in many parts of the world they are delicacies. To a dog they are also some of the most desirable parts of the animal. One of my dogs favorate special treats is "green tripe snacks". It is the freeze dryed stomach with the last meal still there. If you can get past the smell, it is a very healthy snack.

Almost 100% of these products are made in China and you think they are bacteria free? Good luck with that. I've even heard warnings on TV about salmonella problem. Nene, wait until you step on one of those hooves barefooted. Ouch!

Angry Bird1360981994.8074929 PostsRegistered 10/17/2007TX

All of our dogs have loved cow hooves. I haven't had any with bad odor or splintering..The only danger is stepping on one of them barefooted. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

We give the dogs pig ears on holidays as their special treat. They take them outside to eat them. They go crazy when they get a pigs ear.

I haven't given them any string toys or chews due to dangers already posted. Our neighbors almost lost their dog due to digesting strings.

Let's face it, nothing is foolproof and 100% safe. But they are dogs who if left to their own devices would eat and digest much worse. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

KEEP LOOKIN' UP 'cuz that's where it all is!
~Kidd Kraddick~ 8/22/1959-7/29/2013

CrazyDaisy1360986349.2071974 PostsRegistered 6/19/2008
On 2/15/2013 kachina624 said:
On 2/15/2013 CrazyDaisy said:

Almost 100% of these products are made in China and you think they are bacteria free? Good luck with that. I've even heard warnings on TV about salmonella problem. Nene, wait until you step on one of those hooves barefooted. Ouch!

There are lots of products made in the USA. You just need to look, I never have a problem finding them.

jingersnap1360996293.21185 PostsRegistered 3/3/2009Morgan, Texas

Stick with USA made pet products. That's the most important thing.

kachina6241361057987.7916674 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004New Mexico
There are few if any animal by-product chews made in the US. They may be packaged and distributed here but the products themselves come from China where are NOT handled with care.

LipstickDi­va1361202700.85739197 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio

My vet isn't a fan at all of giving dogs rawhide, pig ear, cow hooves, etc. He said they have a potential to cause too many problems. Cow hooves can splinter, dogs have swallowed the pigs ears whole and ended up with major issues and rawhides can cause a blockage/intestinal problems if they swallow too large of a piece.

You can't buy love but you can adopt it. Adopt, don't shop.

kismet1361249671.78711 PostsRegistered 2/6/2005

My dog fractured a tooth with either a cow hoof or a pigs ear when she was a puppy. That was the end of both of them. She had to have the tooth taken out. That was years ago and dont' know where they came from then but today with all the problems with things coming from other countries I only give my dog a raw diet and treats that I make. Too many recalls on things.

chickenbutt1361291583.3724678 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown
On 2/18/2013 Queen of Posts said:

My vet isn't a fan at all of giving dogs rawhide, pig ear, cow hooves, etc. He said they have a potential to cause too many problems. Cow hooves can splinter, dogs have swallowed the pigs ears whole and ended up with major issues and rawhides can cause a blockage/intestinal problems if they swallow too large of a piece.

I so strongly agree with him.

There is no way I would bring stuff like that in the house for our dog. And don't even get me started on the bull p3nises (bully sticks). Why? I have a friend who says her dog loves those and gets one every day. I cannot even imagine it! The dog does not realize what is in his/her best interest. That is one of our jobs - love them, care for them, and keep them safe.

There are just so many better choices than these animal body parts.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

Cheryl A S­ophie1361511417.443954 PostsRegistered 10/20/2007
Sophie seems ok with hoofs, but not interested in Elk antler. I know the breeder my sister got her pup from (responsible Cavalier King Charles breeder) said to avoid smoked hooves as they are the stinky ones. :D haven't yet gotten bully stick yet for her, I do make sure all things are made in the USA. We are limited toy wise as she's a hard chewer, and I am allergic to rubber. So we can't give her plush squeaky toys, she chews and bites off chunks of plush, but plays appropriately with noisy region. We have gotten her braided tendons, the last too short though. Haven't tried the pigs ears or feet yet as suspect they would just be a snack. I got the long lasting nylabones (USA) large for 50 lb dog though she's under 20 lbs. she's a year old so hope she's soon past heavy chewing, she hasn't touched our things thankfully. As to bones, no yard and wall to wall carpet say no thanks :)

Ban the Deed not the Breed.
Spay and Neuter your pet

NeNe10101361739248.327610 PostsRegistered 4/15/2008Central Indiana
I went ahead with the cow hooves. Grace loves them. She will chew awhile and sometimes carry it around with her. There is no odor I can detect and I monitor it for sharp edges ( so far none). They help keep teeth clean and have no calories so they are now on her things to chew on list.

Page 1 of 1