Labor Day Weekend Clearance
19 Members and 8649 Guests Online

Pet Lovers

New dog has Kennel Cough

Started 1354456344.277 in Pet Lovers | Last reply 1354921305.617 by BonnieBelle

I posted this on the other thread but for some reason it disapeared. Went to get our new adopted dog yesterday. Long story short...it has Kennel cough. Now I am terrified my little fraile 13 yr.old furbaby will get it. Vet is too & gave me meds for her along with new one. called the place I got new one which is a rescue place...they were not as friendly this time & relutanly told me to bring him back. Long trip to get him yesterday..& now back. I noticed him coughing a couple of times when we were there yesterday & asked about it but was told.."oh he is fine." Took him to vet as soon as I got home & yes he has kennel cough which vet says is very contagious to other dogs & I have to quarentine dog for 2 weeks. Cant come in the house at all. It is a little dog. Not an outside dog. Looks like my only solution is to take it back. I racked my brain for any friends or relitives who might could take it for the quarentine time but can think of no one. Everyone has their own pets to worry about. I have never dealt with kennel cough before. Didnt know it could be so contaigous. Vet said not to wear same clothes between being with each pet. Wash hands use disenfectant everywhere. And never let them close at all! Was up with little dog most of night in garage. He is worse this morning. It just breaks my heart! May have to take him to PetER. I feel so stupid for doing this to my furbabies I have. I am the only one they have to protect them & this is what I do to them! If you look up stupid idiot in dictionary my picture will be there!

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next
Tissyannie1354458670.0976563 PostsRegistered 6/26/2010
If it were me and I really wanted the dog, I would keep him isolated. I had two dogs at one point and they got out of our yard and the pound picked them up. The treatment for the kennel cough was a couple of pills a day. If you can isolate him, he should be over this in about two weeks. Sorry you are experiencing this. He will recover.

I go to prepare a place for you, in my father's house are many mansions.

henny1354459215.2973433 PostsRegistered 3/3/2007
On 12/2/2012 Tissyannie said: If it were me and I really wanted the dog, I would keep him isolated. I had two dogs at one point and they got out of our yard and the pound picked them up. The treatment for the kennel cough was a couple of pills a day. If you can isolate him, he should be over this in about two weeks. Sorry you are experiencing this. He will recover.


Thanks...my biggest concern at the moment is my 13 yr old female. She has good days & bad days. She is so frail right now. Vet said it is an airborne virus. New dog is right on other side of the door from where she is. Everytime we open door to garage new dog tries to run in. I feel so bad for him too. He has to stay out there by himself a lot. I cant be with him as much as I could if he were living in here rather than in the garage. Now is time we all need to be bonding & helping him to adjust to new life. I feel so sad for him being totally alone in garage. I feel like I am abusing him. So torn on what to do right now. Guess I dont really have a choice if I protect my 13 yr old.

Love2RV1354459904.943366 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Henny, I'm sorry your going through this & your new little dog. Please don't beat yourself up over this & your not stupid. Please, don't take your new dog back to the rescue place. With the right medicines your dog will get better. I know it's a worry with your other fur-babies being exposed. Has your other dogs been vaccinated with the bordatella vaccine for kennel cough?

Back in 2005, I had a stray Beagle show up at my house. She didn't have a collar on & looked to be starving. At that time, I had one dog. My family & I took her in, feed her...gave her a flea & tick shampoo. She had ticks engorged on her. We had to pull them off. I did keep her away from my other dog, until I took her to my vet. I always keep my dogs vaccinated & up to date with everything. My dogs also get the bordatella vaccine up the nose for kennel cough. To make a long story short, my beagle got the kennel cough about 2 weeks after rescuing her. I took her back to the vet & she gave me some antibiotics to give her for 10 days. I gave them as prescribe & my beagle got better. My other dog did not come down with it, because he already had the bordatella vaccine. Please hang in there, with your new dog. I know the kennel cough sounds awful for the dogs. I'm sure with the right medicine, love & care you give, he/she will get better. I know this can be stressful, but the payoff is you saved a wonderful dog & gave him/her a loving home. Sending (((hugs))) & prayers for you & your doggies! Keep us posted on how things are going. God Bless.

Last edited on 12/2/2012

Last edited on 12/2/2012

henny1354460443.7173433 PostsRegistered 3/3/2007

Our vet we had for yrs retired & we now have new vet. We have always kept up on everything but this female vet checked yesterday & says she cannot find where the old vet gave them anything for kennel cough since they were very young! Now she is afraid to give the 13 yr old the nasal vacine because she isnt in the best of health & her age. DH & I have been so upset we didnt get much sleep last night. We already love the little dog.

Tissyannie1354460483.5176563 PostsRegistered 6/26/2010
You are certainly not stupid. You had no way of knowing the dog had anything contagious. The shelter should have known better in my opinion. Anytime dogs are boarded up like this kennel cough is common. I would follow the advice of my vet in this situation. You are giving your fragile furbaby the treatment also. Will this prevent her from getting kennel cough? Your vet should know.

I go to prepare a place for you, in my father's house are many mansions.

henny1354460932.113433 PostsRegistered 3/3/2007
On 12/2/2012 Tissyannie said: You are certainly not stupid. You had no way of knowing the dog had anything contagious. The shelter should have known better in my opinion. Anytime dogs are boarded up like this kennel cough is common. I would follow the advice of my vet in this situation. You are giving your fragile furbaby the treatment also. Will this prevent her from getting kennel cough? Your vet should know.


Vet said very good posibliity older pet will get it. That is why she wanted to start her right away on antibiotics. Told me to change clothes when changing areas & dogs, wash & sanitize hands & anything I might touch. Am disinfecting everything I can. We dont have a really large house so hard to keep them a long ways apart. I also think the shelter should have known better! We told them several times that we had an older pet at home & that is why we kept questioning why dog was coughing. I just wish I would have said lets wait & have their vet check him out. Then come back when ok. You know hind site is 20/20

Love2RV1354461368.737366 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Sounds like your vet knows what she is doing concerning your older dog. I know it's a worry & stressful, hang in there. It will get better!

busygirl1354462223.972131 PostsRegistered 5/24/2007

My dog had that when we first got him and I had another dog at home. Got him meds and fine and he got a shot for it too. The other little guy never got a thing.

Hang in there and the meds will work. Somebody has to love him.

Doxie1354462947.589012 PostsRegistered 7/1/2007

Henny

I am sorry this happened to you. How long was the dog with the group? Sometimes they get it when they are with a group of dogs like children get it when they are at school. It sounds like your vet is being thorough which is good. I am surprised the group did not vaccinate for this because of having so many dogs. With treating your older pet at the same time maybe the healing will be faster. How long do you have to keep them separated?

doxie

henny1354463517.423433 PostsRegistered 3/3/2007
On 12/2/2012 Doxie said:

Henny

I am sorry this happened to you. How long was the dog with the group? Sometimes they get it when they are with a group of dogs like children get it when they are at school. It sounds like your vet is being thorough which is good. I am surprised the group did not vaccinate for this because of having so many dogs. With treating your older pet at the same time maybe the healing will be faster. How long do you have to keep them separated?

doxie

Hi doxie! Good to hear from you! Been a long time! Dont know how long he was in the group. She said when they resued them they gave shots & the kennel cough one, it is on my paper work that he had one. They told me to keep them seperated for 2 wks. Dont know if it is true but I read on internet last night that some dogs have to take 2 rounds of antibiotics to get over it & 2 more wks qurantine. I just so hate to keep him off all to himself. Seems so cruel. He keeps crying to come in. I had to change clothes take shower to fix breakfast & get my other 2 going...when I get thru have to change to go see him & play with him...then change to come back. Not sure how that is going to do for 2 wks. Not young anymore!

CrazyDaisy1354464898.6331887 PostsRegistered 6/19/2008

Kennel Cough for dogs at a shelter is like a cold getting passed around a classroom full of children. It is a respiratory infection, much like the flu. My dog picked it up this summer at an agility trial, she coughed for a couple days not much more than that. The vet I go to will not even treat kennel cough while I know others will use the antibiotics as a preventive measure since it can progress in some dogs. Most dogs never miss a beat, they revcover quickly on their own. There is no way to prevent kennel cough completely. It is like the flu some may get a mild case and some may get a strain that is not included in the vaccine.

To be brutally honest, if you are going to keep him in the garage, you need to take him back. He deserves better than that.

Rochester ­Shopper1354466276.5674922 PostsRegistered 7/20/2011Michigan

henny, you are not stupid!! You are compassionate and caring and are doing everything you can. This issue is only temporary. I wish I could come and help you.

Hang in there. I know it is hard but you can do this.

I know you are so worried about your older dog, but it has probably already had some exposure. Returning the new dog won't really protect your older dog now anymore than quarrentining IMO, especially since your older dog has started on meds.

I know you feel like you are being mean to the new dog, but you are not. Your new dog will start to adjust to the garage, and it will end up ok in the end. At least it is not still in a cage or small run.

I think the biggest thing is the new dog will get a little lonely. Do you have any friends or kids in the neighborhood who don't have pets that might come and play with your new dog for company?

I would suggest making sure the new dog has a crate or something small he can go in and sleep. Also, if it is cold, perhaps putting a small space heater in the garage may help the newer dog to be more comfortable.

Also, it might be helpful to put a hepa air cleaner in the area where your older dog hangs out. I dont' know if it will really do anything, but it might make you feel better since kennel cough is airborne.

Although we all have opinions and suggestions here, you do what is best for your family. Best of luck!

Last edited on 12/2/2012

Last edited on 12/2/2012

~Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle.~
~My Grandma's motto: Is it nice, is it true, would you like it said of you?~

Rochester ­Shopper1354466358.054922 PostsRegistered 7/20/2011Michigan

sorry, dup

Last edited on 12/2/2012

Last edited on 12/2/2012

~Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle.~
~My Grandma's motto: Is it nice, is it true, would you like it said of you?~

Doxie1354467959.8179012 PostsRegistered 7/1/2007

Henny

I can not believe you have to keep them separated for two weeks when they are both being treated and have both been exposed. What does your vet tell you? I can understand now how the dog has it. The vaccine does not guarantee you will not get it similar to a flu shot not guaranteeing that you do not get the flu. I did not realize the bordetella vaccine was that risky for older pets. I really think I would go with your vet's advice instead of what the group said since your vet knows your other dog. It may be that you only need to keep them separated for so many days since they are both being treated.I reread your post and see your vet says they have to be separated for two weeks. I wonder why you can not keep him isolated in a room where you could spend time with him. Kennel cough is very common like a cold virus and usually not life threatening but it does spread. Now it is different with a weakened dog which is why you are treating and isolating. You are not stupid. I would try to make sure that the dog has a warm place to stay because that would speed healing. I have seen dogs shake this in a week with treatment. Does your vet offer isolated kenneling if needed?

doxie

Golfing Na­ncy1354474853.103185 PostsRegistered 5/2/2011San Diego
So sorry. I hate that shelters do this...a VERY nationally reputable one near me did this to a friend a few years ago. BUT...don't give up. Kennel cough is very treatable. In a couple of months you will barely remember this big nuisance, and your family will be whole again. Believe me, I've been there. Best of luck to you.

Silver Lin­ing1354484697.323616 PostsRegistered 4/15/2010

henny, I am so sorry this happened. Many years ago we rescued a dog from a pet shop. He was being severely neglected. He was there because the breeder couldn't otherwise sell him due to the fact that he was "pet quality" as opposed to "show quality" nor a "good" example of his breed. He had kennel cough. He got better quickly with medical treatment and a loving home. It's possible the shelter was not aware this dog had contracted the disease. The symptoms take a while to become apparent. We didn't already have a dog, so we didn't have the situation you're facing. Please let us know how things go.

henny1354494676.8833433 PostsRegistered 3/3/2007

Well, the day is over & we decided with the help of reading everyone's experences that we will keep the new one. We named him NiKi hubbys idea! When it came time to take him back we just could not do it. We have already fallen in love with him & he seems to want to be with us too! It was in high 60's here yesterday & 78 today. I hope I didnt make anyone think we would just put him in the garage & walk off. I know you guys dont all know me but I love animals so much I could never do that. DH went to barn this afternoon & found some gardening type fencing & brought back to house. We have a really big fenced yard that we have seperated into two yrds so if we need to seperate dogs for any reason we can just shut the gate. Otherwise they have full use of both yards. So we closed the gate & my husband put some of the smaller fencing about 4 ft from the permanent cross fence so the dogs cant get close enough to touch noses are anything. Hope that is making sense. Then older dogs have their "wheel chair type ramp" to go off the deck from & their doggy doors so everything is pretty much same for them. Then the new dog has a big yard to go exploring in. He can see the two older dogs & all of them seem like they want to meet!! Then there is a door going into the back of the garage on the new dogs side & we left it open enough he can come & go freely. Temps are so high right now it is working out good to leave door open. On inside of garage we just fenced off in front of our 2 cars & put the crate at the bottom of stairs that lead into the house. Put his water in that area, just outside the crate & newspapers. Then we can change clothes right there to go in & out to see him. We are taking shifts spending time with him, playing with him & holding him. He just seems to love my husband! When it is his turn Niki gest so excited to see him! Guess what he already will walk out with me when I go out & go right out on the grass & wet!! Has done that all day!

henny1354495691.333433 PostsRegistered 3/3/2007

Ok other answer was getting too long! New dog was going on the sidewalk for the other & I have been cleaning it up & disenfecting the area. But I have been working on getting him to go out by the fence farthest away in the grass. Well nothing was working till my DH took him out a few minutes ago & he took him over there & new dog went right where we wanted!! He is such a smart dog. When he sees my older dog his tail starts wagging real fast & I feel bad he cant go see her. He is neutered & she is spayed. When we were talking about taking him back this morning we were both so sad. Finally my DH said "well you sometimes just have to take some chances in life" We are watching older dogs really close. Any sign of anything even in middle of night off they go to vet! We just could not bear the idea of letting little NiKi go back! We gave him some toys & poor little thing hids them! We will work on that. Tried to play a little ball with him & he took the ball & buried it!! Also when I get his food ready he just was woofing it down so I am splitting it & putting in smaller amounts. He takes his meds good but isnt happy with them! Oh the first time I put him in crate he went nuts!! Screaming, trying to get out. Today DH & I sat out there with him & we would coax him in then pet him & love on him, let him out. Put a couple of treats in there. Well, guess what when he took a nap while we were having dinner, I looked in on him & he was fast asleep in the crate! Oh I forgot, I did put my shirt I was wearing when we picked him up in there too. He was asleep on it! I think we did the right thing for sure! I have to say I was so sad this morning I couldnt even think straight. Oh & someone talked about an air purifier, we thought about that this morning & put it in the room where other dogs stay in day time. Dont know if it will help but figure it couldnt hurt! I work tomorrow but DH will be here with him till I get home. Everyone say a little prayer for us please that everything works out okay! Our little newbie sure seems to love it here! Cant wait till he can come in & be with all of us & sleep with the whole clan!! LOL Thanks everyone for your encouraging thoughts & coments!!

Doxie1354497872.529012 PostsRegistered 7/1/2007

That is great news. I have sent my prayers for speedy healing.

doxie

henny1354498097.5973433 PostsRegistered 3/3/2007
On 12/2/2012 Doxie said:

That is great news. I have sent my prayers for speedy healing.

doxie

Thanks doxie!!

jtdmum1354533661.94558 PostsRegistered 1/26/2008
On 12/2/2012 CrazyDaisy said:

Kennel Cough for dogs at a shelter is like a cold getting passed around a classroom full of children. It is a respiratory infection, much like the flu. My dog picked it up this summer at an agility trial, she coughed for a couple days not much more than that. The vet I go to will not even treat kennel cough while I know others will use the antibiotics as a preventive measure since it can progress in some dogs. Most dogs never miss a beat, they revcover quickly on their own. There is no way to prevent kennel cough completely. It is like the flu some may get a mild case and some may get a strain that is not included in the vaccine.

To be brutally honest, if you are going to keep him in the garage, you need to take him back. He deserves better than that.

Crazy daisy you're not crazy at all! Thank god somebody who doesn't over react to kennel cough. Every dog carries this, it's when it over populates that that horrible cough comes through, and yes every dog in the house will start hacking. Sounds worse than it is. A good vet will give you an option, let the cough run its course or treat it with an antibiotic which generally will make the owner feel better. Would I return a dog to the kennel/pound because of it? Not a chance.

JLLH3581354537339.8235028 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 12/2/2012 henny said:

Ok other answer was getting too long! New dog was going on the sidewalk for the other & I have been cleaning it up & disenfecting the area. But I have been working on getting him to go out by the fence farthest away in the grass. Well nothing was working till my DH took him out a few minutes ago & he took him over there & new dog went right where we wanted!! He is such a smart dog. When he sees my older dog his tail starts wagging real fast & I feel bad he cant go see her. He is neutered & she is spayed. When we were talking about taking him back this morning we were both so sad. Finally my DH said "well you sometimes just have to take some chances in life" We are watching older dogs really close. Any sign of anything even in middle of night off they go to vet! We just could not bear the idea of letting little NiKi go back! We gave him some toys & poor little thing hids them! We will work on that. Tried to play a little ball with him & he took the ball & buried it!! Also when I get his food ready he just was woofing it down so I am splitting it & putting in smaller amounts. He takes his meds good but isnt happy with them! Oh the first time I put him in crate he went nuts!! Screaming, trying to get out. Today DH & I sat out there with him & we would coax him in then pet him & love on him, let him out. Put a couple of treats in there. Well, guess what when he took a nap while we were having dinner, I looked in on him & he was fast asleep in the crate! Oh I forgot, I did put my shirt I was wearing when we picked him up in there too. He was asleep on it! I think we did the right thing for sure! I have to say I was so sad this morning I couldnt even think straight. Oh & someone talked about an air purifier, we thought about that this morning & put it in the room where other dogs stay in day time. Dont know if it will help but figure it couldnt hurt! I work tomorrow but DH will be here with him till I get home. Everyone say a little prayer for us please that everything works out okay! Our little newbie sure seems to love it here! Cant wait till he can come in & be with all of us & sleep with the whole clan!! LOL Thanks everyone for your encouraging thoughts & coments!!

Prayers coming your way! Just keep up the positive reinforcement with the crate (treats, especially!) and it will become his own "space" and something he associates with good things rather than bad memories. Bless you for taking him in!

Rochester ­Shopper1354563569.4274922 PostsRegistered 7/20/2011Michigan

henny, sounds like you got a good system! How is it going today?

~Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle.~
~My Grandma's motto: Is it nice, is it true, would you like it said of you?~

Shop Till ­you Drop1354566314.957748 PostsRegistered 2/4/2010TX

Henny so sorry you are dealing with this. Just two cents worth from me. I brought home a new fur baby and he had a bad cas of Kennel cough. I also had another elderly dog at home. I started treating him ASAP, and kept the two apart for about a week. The little guy cleared up very quickly within about four days he was greatly improved and the other little guy didnt get sick. Just a note to consider. Good Luck!

Doxie1354585919.979012 PostsRegistered 7/1/2007

checking in

doxie

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next