Fall Fashion Days
134 Members and 14127 Guests Online

Pet Lovers

Dog Food For Sensitive Stomach

Started 1350387036.733 in Pet Lovers | Last reply 1350628393.453 by Spunkyspouts

I need opinions from you Pet Lovers about which is the best dog food for my Cairn Terrier (about 10yrs old, rescue dog). We have had him a little over 3 yrs. & he has always had what I would call a sensitive stomach. I have tried several different foods on him & doesn't seem to matter. He barfs at least once every 2 days or so. He also drinks a LOT of water, but the Vet checked him for Diabetes & other things, and he came out clear.

Didn't mean to ramble on, but would really like some suggestions - thanks! We love the little guy a lot - he is the sweetest, especially for a rescue dog.

Page 1 of 1
JLLH3581350397941.3835028 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Our oldest has IBD. She's on raw Ostrich from Bravo! and acts like a puppy. It has muscle meat, organ meat, and bones all ground up. (Because of the bone content it cannot be cooked.) Highly recommend. She's passing all of her blood work and visits with flying colors.

NChgOfMyAt­titude1350400503.2235073 PostsRegistered 10/18/2006Connecticut

I would try BLUE BUFFALO for sensitive stomachs. Good luck, we've always had boxers and they are known for terrible stomachs!! I know what you're going through. Right now, Hero is on a raw diet cause he had diareahea for the year after we rescued him. Cured him in 2 days {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Any fact facing us is not as important as our attitude toward it ~
Happiness is something you decide on ahead of time ~

LuvMyBoyz1350406692.87591 PostsRegistered 11/18/2009

Hi Txblond-

Been there, done that! My little guy had a sensitive stomach for the first 3 years of his life. It escalated to the point that he ended up needing surgery because they thought he had a blockage, but it was just a super sensitive tummy. The vet said he would always be that way and that we'd probably have him back to the vet several times a year. That was almost 2 years ago. I did a ton of research and after the surgery I put him on Wellness Core Reduced Fat (even though he didn't need to lose weight). Wellness Core is Grain Free and the reduced fat is easier for him to digest. He hasn't had a stomach issue since and he has more energy now than he did as a puppy. The food can make all the difference. I would definitely go grain free for your pooch. I'm sure you will see a difference. Good luck! Be well.

HappyDaze1350412412.7914966 PostsRegistered 6/13/2012

Has your vet done anything to check his stomach and GI tract? There could be something going on there causing this. Is he throwing up food or is it more like bile/foamy liquid? Is he barfing right after he eats?

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...but becomes something entirely different when someone STEALS your ideas and claims the credit for themselves.

“Only those with no memory insist on their originality.” -Coco Chanel

Go Pokes!1350436122.3432449 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009OKC
On 10/16/2012 JLLH358 said:

Our oldest has IBD. She's on raw Ostrich from Bravo! and acts like a puppy. It has muscle meat, organ meat, and bones all ground up. (Because of the bone content it cannot be cooked.) Highly recommend. She's passing all of her blood work and visits with flying colors.

Although its highly $$$$ but extremely worth it. Especially when you see, first hand, all the benefits.

Txblond1350473170.1131715 PostsRegistered 3/3/2007

Thanks to all for the information & suggestions - I'm going to check into them.

HappyDaze - to answer your questions..... It is food he is throwing up & its not right after he eats - its usually about 3 or 4 hrs. after eating. His stomach & GI tract haven't been checked, but it may come down to that.

He doesn't throw up every day, but doesn't usually go over two days without an episode.

pupwhipped1350475442.81063 PostsRegistered 8/27/2005

Txblond, I have three Cairns of my own! Can't say what the problem is with your fella, but I will tell you that I have a rescue female, Gracie, who has had tummy troubles, too. What worked for her was a low fat/reduced fat diet dog food. Although I am not a big fan of Hills Science Diet, that is what she has been eating and it has worked well. She eats the prescription R/D. Another one of my dogs is on Royal Canin Low Fat Gastrointestinal food (for a totally different health issue) and I am thinking of switching Gracie to that and see how she does. For some reason, it just seems she can't digest fats very well.

Talk with you vet. Maybe you could try some kind of very low fat food and see if it makes any difference for your Cairn. Hope you can get this figured out.

pup

Go Pokes!1350495962.8732449 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009OKC

TXBLOND,

About a year and a half ago I discovered that my Sam had developed ulcers. He was vomiting bile on a daily basis (always random times) and would turn away from his food. Concered, of course, I took him to the vet; this is when he was diagnosed. I continued to feed him (holistic kibble) with his medicine, but still he had a lot of bad days (not wanting to eat). This was when I took a different approach (what some would say extreme measures) and began to look into feeding an all raw diet. Fast forward a year, Sammie has had not one bad day since starting raw. He is happy and healthy and full.

Look into some alternative measures, it may seem gross... but its basically back to basics.

HTH

Christa

Last edited on 10/17/2012

HappyDaze1350505310.2414966 PostsRegistered 6/13/2012

Txblond, well if changing foods doesn't seem to change the situation, I would suggest seeing an internist for further diagnosis. It is interesting he is throwing up a few hours after he eats and it is still dog food. Does it seem like the dog food doesn't seem to be broken down at all and about the amount you fed him? S

orry for all the questions but since you've changed foods several times and it doesn't seem to help and the fact that he drinks alot of water makes me think it may be something more than a sensitive stomach. It could be something like Go Pokes mentioned, an ulcer, etc. It sounds like a GI/stomach issue rather than just a sensitive stomach.

Not trying to scare you because it could be something really simple to fix (with medications) but you want to get this addressed sooner than later because it is hard on their esophagus and stomach to throw up so often- it could irriate and damage the esophagus and create a new set of problems. Again, not trying to scare you, just trying to stress the importance of finding the cause as soon as possible.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...but becomes something entirely different when someone STEALS your ideas and claims the credit for themselves.

“Only those with no memory insist on their originality.” -Coco Chanel

pepes mom1350505572.8935210 PostsRegistered 7/21/2005SW PA

Sounds like he has issues with delayed gastric emptying/ food sitting in the stomach too long. I'd suggest a return trip to the vet and ask for a referral to a vet internist. This may be something that can be resolved with meds to speed up how fast the stomach empties.

~ Pepe's Mom ~

I'm cool toned. Yellow foundations make me look jaundiced. That is NOT the look I am going for.

JLLH3581350510833.95028 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 10/17/2012 Go Pokes! said:

TXBLOND,

About a year and a half ago I discovered that my Sam had developed ulcers. He was vomiting bile on a daily basis (always random times) and would turn away from his food. Concered, of course, I took him to the vet; this is when he was diagnosed. I continued to feed him (holistic kibble) with his medicine, but still he had a lot of bad days (not wanting to eat). This was when I took a different approach (what some would say extreme measures) and began to look into feeding an all raw diet. Fast forward a year, Sammie has had not one bad day since starting raw. He is happy and healthy and full.

Look into some alternative measures, it may seem gross... but its basically back to basics.

HTH

Christa

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Our younger dog always had bad teeth and was a rescue so we didn't get him until he was 2-2 1/2 years old. Anyway, I had him on kibble back when we didn't know any better....ahem....and I was brushing his teeth and still he had 4 infected teeth! Had his teeth cleaned just yesterday and it's been a year since he's been on raw.... with bones -- and not only did he pass his dental exam with flying colors, but apparently the things the vet had been worried about last year (deep pockets in the gumline, major periodontal disease, and a few teeth he was "watching"), are now non-issues!! He got a new toothbrush in a goody bag, but he won't need it. The bones and raw organ and muscle meat that exercise and clean the gums and teeth and strengthen them are doing the job better and far more than I ever could with a toothbrush. I'm having to brush our older one's teeth because of her IBD and not knowing for certain what might trigger an episode, but I hope to wean her back onto bones as well. Nothing like a raw diet - NOTHING!! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Go Pokes!1350512010.382449 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009OKC

jllh, what brand are you feeding (meaty bones and suchb)? primal or your own?

JLLH3581350519480.075028 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

jllh, what brand are you feeding (meaty bones and suchb)? primal or your own?

Go Pokes!, my older dog is on Ostrich - from Bravo! It has muscle meat, ostrich liver, and ostrich bone -- and it's delivered frozen and in ground chubs.

My younger dog, who can eat anything without a problem, is on a rotation of proteins: beef recipe, chicken recipe and turkey -- most of which I put together myself and all from Karen Becker's wonderful little book which does the heavy thinking for me! (I do use Fresh is Best for some of the harder to find items which I cannot always source locally -- chicken necks with bone in, chicken hearts, beef hearts, etc... I get my organ and muscle meats as well as veggie/fruit ingredients from Whole Foods. They're great about ordering stuff for me, but they can't get just everything and they have trouble getting what I need at times, hence the need for another reliable source.)

Fresh is Best freeze-dried organ meats or boney meats are great options because they are shipped fairly cheaply (not having to be put on dry ice like the ostrich does), and I can reconstitute them when I make the recipe. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Hope that helps!

Go Pokes!1350525007.732449 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009OKC

Thanks J. Bravo is a favorite in our household too. I use a blend of Bravo Basics and Grandma Lucys' or Honest Kitchen.

Whats the name of this Karen Decker's book?

TIA

-Christa

JLLH3581350527328.065028 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Thanks J. Bravo is a favorite in our household too. I use a blend of Bravo Basics and Grandma Lucys' or Honest Kitchen.

Whats the name of this Karen Decker's book?

TIA

-Christa

Karen Becker is a holistic vet. Her website is www.healthypets.mercola.com and the name of the book is Real Food for Healthy Dogs and Cats and it's my nutrition Bible for them, pretty much. I have used others in the past but since going raw this is the one I use. It covers EVERYTHING regarding the diet and how to balance it so you can know you are including what they need. (Make sure you get the latest edition - the third edition - as she has expanded the info. in it from previous editions). I also highly recommend her site. She has wonderful videos and articles on various subjects of interest to cat and dog health and it's free to subscribe to her newsletter via email.

Hope this helps!

Sakuya1350586421.4531857 PostsRegistered 2/15/2011

I used to buy Blue Buffalo but my dog had stomach issues and vet said could be the berries in Blue Buffalo. You'll want to try a grain free diet. Currently I am using Fromm game bird blend. Duck. My dog loooooooves it. If a grain free diet doesn't work for your dog, the best thing for a dog to eat is a raw diet. You can prepare it yourself or specialty pet stores will carry frozen raw food that you pop in a bowl the night before in the fridge and it is thawed by morning. You should only use stainless steel bowls if going to use a raw diet and obviously a clean dish for each meal. Also, you must slowly introduce a raw diet to your dog and not just change it suddenly.

I hope you find the answer for your rescue dog. Poor thing getting sick after he eats.

LipstickDi­va1350587040.35736939 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio

I have a boxer with a sensitive stomach. He is now on a prescription food from Iams that is kangaroo and oat. It's around $80.00 a bag and lasts us a month.

You can't buy love but you can adopt it. Adopt, don't shop.

Spunkyspou­ts1350628393.4537021 PostsRegistered 11/19/2008miami

yogurt and applesauce are good stand bys

Page 1 of 1