Better Than Black Friday
82 Members and 16050 Guests Online

Pet Lovers

Does anyone brush their dog's teeth?

Started 1349071121.247 in Pet Lovers | Last reply 1349731893.407 by 57babe

If so, what dog toothpaste does your dog like and that seems to really help the tartar buildup? Do you use a toothbrush, finger brush, or gauze?

Page 1 of 1
Doxie1349083396.3339158 PostsRegistered 7/1/2007

I do. I use the toothpaste from the vets office and gauze. At first the dogs were not too crazy about it. I made it part of their ritual that must be done before they eat. They now are jumping to have their teeth brushed.

doxie

Reiss19801349096852.6238218 PostsRegistered 4/15/2011Central NJ /Freehold// Long island NY

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} Hi there... I have three and they all seem to like it... I get it from the vet's office and they all have their favorite flavor. Max likes the fish flavor.... Plug likes the chicken... and Patchy likes the malt flavor. I use a regular toothbrush made for dogs that come with the toothpaste.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}Works fine with my three stooges.

A wagging tail .... and licks a plenty.. Not to mention a buddy for life! Adopt a dog or cat ..SAVE A LIFE!

NeNe10101349105349.077610 PostsRegistered 4/15/2008Central Indiana

I use V Biotene water additive that I get from Amazon. You add it to the dog's drinking water and it prevents plaque buildup. Then when Grace gets groomed about every 6 weeks I have them actually brush her teeth.

Be who you are. Say what you feel. Those who mind dont matter. Those who matter dont mind. Dr. Seuss

HappyDaze1349105937.0617085 PostsRegistered 6/13/2012

Thanks everyone! I've never really done it before but recently started with just getting him use to the finger brush and my Bosco doesn't mind at all (the rubber finger brush is too big for my fingers so I don't really like it). I think I am going to see what my vet has when I go there next week. I will probably take him to the vet to do one thorough cleaning and then do it myself from then on but at $180 a pop, I can't take him to get it done at the vets every 6 weeks. Plus my vet said it really only needs to be professionally done once a year unless, of course, there are tooth and gum issues.

NeNe1010, I will look into that water additive. Is there any scent/flavor to it?

Riess1980, I LOL about the "three stooges" all liking a different flavor. Too cute!

Doxie, regarding the gauze, any particular kind or just regular ol' gauze from the store?

Emy1349107707.8634064 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Silver Spring, Maryland
On 10/1/2012 HappyDaze said:

Thanks everyone! I've never really done it before but recently started with just getting him use to the finger brush and my Bosco doesn't mind at all (the rubber finger brush is too big for my fingers so I don't really like it). I think I am going to see what my vet has when I go there next week. I will probably take him to the vet to do one thorough cleaning and then do it myself from then on but at $180 a pop, I can't take him to get it done at the vets every 6 weeks. Plus my vet said it really only needs to be professionally done once a year unless, of course, there are tooth and gum issues.

NeNe1010, I will look into that water additive. Is there any scent/flavor to it?

Riess1980, I LOL about the "three stooges" all liking a different flavor. Too cute!

Doxie, regarding the gauze, any particular kind or just regular ol' gauze from the store?

I am so glad that you posted this question, HappyDaz. Krissy, our senior cocker spaniel, was just diagnosed with a small heart problem. During her exam, well, exams including cardiologist, I was told that I need to start brushing her teeth. A year or so ago, I purchased the toothbrush/tooth paste kit, suggested by Reiss. But, my three cocker spaniel people clenched their teeth, when I tried to get that brush into their mouths. I couldn't pry their mouths open.

But, Doxie's suggestion about using the gauze would probably work. Maybe!

I have had Krissy's and Ted's teeth "professionally" cleaned at the Vet's. Can't really afford that now, but will do it again when we can. (Cardiologist bill, plus Krissy now has glaucoma in her good eye - will have to go back to Vet Opthomologist.)

Emy

Last edited on 10/1/2012

Last edited on 10/1/2012

NeNe10101349119478.003610 PostsRegistered 4/15/2008Central Indiana

To me the V Biotene has no sent or flavor. Grace has never shown any objection to it and it has gotten good reviews on Amazon.

Be who you are. Say what you feel. Those who mind dont matter. Those who matter dont mind. Dr. Seuss

MagnoliaMs1349122481.641269 PostsRegistered 6/18/2007Gulf Coast

Yes, I do. He's a 10 month old Westie,and the last time we went to the Vet she demonstrated how I should do it and what to use. The best part is they don't have to rinse after brushing{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}. She said to brush them at least once a day,and she said she does her own animals twice a day!

Doxie1349130623.789158 PostsRegistered 7/1/2007

Oh what an adventure I had with the toothbrush. They clamped their mouths shut like a steel trap. When I tried to pursue they growled, grabbed the toothbrush and ran. I chased them around the house and droppped a pound trying to pry them out from eating the toothbrush under the sofa.

My vet told me that it was the regular enzamatic actiob and massaging that meant more than brushing. So I get cheap gauze by the roll and wrap some around my finger. I put the toothpaste on the gauze. Then I slide my finger in the side of their mouth and massage along the gum line and the teeth.

The girls now race to get it and open their mouths because they know they do not eat until they have clean teeth. I do have a mouth wash that I use some. I got it from the vet

I want to check the water additive out. I started being diligent due to my last dachshund having heart issues and the importance of the clean teeth. My hope is that I can delay the teeth cleaning by doing this. The vet thinks we may make it.

cheap made in america gauze

doxie

HappyDaze1349131436.4617085 PostsRegistered 6/13/2012

Ladies, from everything I've read by vets, you do NOT need to open their mouths to brush their teeth. The way they move their tongues on the inside of their mouths help to keep gunk from forming on the inside of the teeth as much as the outer. Also, if they chew on bones and such, that helps keep the inside of their teeth cleaner. So really, they can keep their mouths shut (jaws clamped down) and you just work on cleaning the outside of the teeth. That is how I've been doing it and it is fine. Obviously, if you CAN get the inside, that is most ideal but just doing the outerside will help tremendously.

And yes, heart issues can be caused by an infection or bacteria accumulation in the teeth/gums if it gets bad so that is one reason I'm wanting to be better about brushing teeth. I don't want my baby to get infected gums.

I appreciate reading everyone's experience with products and brushing techiniques! Thank you!

Last edited on 10/1/2012

Last edited on 10/1/2012

Doxie1349132758.39158 PostsRegistered 7/1/2007

Let me tell you that when a dachshund decides not to let anything in their alligator shaped snout that it is not going. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

The results for my other dachshund were great. She just needed her teeth professionaly cleaned once in the last 11 years.

Now I am hoping to be starting the girls soon enough that maybe we will not have to do that more than once.

Last week I was late getting home to feed them. They got hold of a box of gauze and met me at the door with it all over the place. Note to self. Put the gauze up high.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

doxie

HappyDaze1349133201.10717085 PostsRegistered 6/13/2012
On 10/1/2012 Doxie said:

Let me tell you that when a dachshund decides not to let anything in their alligator shaped snout that it is not going. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

The results for my other dachshund were great. She just needed her teeth professionaly cleaned once in the last 11 years.

Now I am hoping to be starting the girls soon enough that maybe we will not have to do that more than once.

Last week I was late getting home to feed them. They got hold of a box of gauze and met me at the door with it all over the place. Note to self. Put the gauze up high.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

doxie

{#emotions_dlg.lol} this post literally made me LOL!! Alligator snout is a good description of those little guys' snouts!! And the box of gauze everywhere was too funny! Silly babies!! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

abbycat1349275560.7474618 PostsRegistered 5/19/2007Maryland

Yes, I try, but she absolutely hates it and fights me the whole time. Yet, it seems to be one of the things "we're supposed to do" nowadays. My son does it with his Viszla 2x a week and that dog just stands there .... amazing.

abby

<*)))><

happy hous­ewife1349304466.30732696 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007

When I had my dog I was still working as a nurse. I was always bringing home the swabs we cleaned patient's mouths out with in my pocket. one day I decided to try cleaning daisy's teeth with one - she loved the taste and they are designed to keep the bad breath odor down. They were better than any toothbrush out there. I would hold her tongue out to one side or the other of her mouth and just go over her teeth with a swab every evening. Since she liked the taste she never fought it. I found I could buy a similar product at the drug store but since i always loaded up my pockets with them at work - because we used them numerous times during the day - i was always finding i had a couple in my pockets when I got home. The ones I used were a long stick - like a lolipop stick only longer with a small foam swab on the end and there was a chemical for cleaning the mouth in the swab - just wet it under the sink and brush. It smells like lemon - never tasted one.

Last edited on 10/3/2012

Last edited on 10/3/2012

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

Brabls1349305507.85314740 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007
On 10/1/2012 Doxie said:

I do. I use the toothpaste from the vets office and gauze. At first the dogs were not too crazy about it. I made it part of their ritual that must be done before they eat. They now are jumping to have their teeth brushed.

doxie

Great slycology!

abbycat1349314913.24618 PostsRegistered 5/19/2007Maryland

morning lover .... do you know the names of the swabs? I'd love to give them a try with my Molly. Thanks much .....

abby

<*)))><

HappyDaze1349321600.26317085 PostsRegistered 6/13/2012
On 10/3/2012 abbycat said:

morning lover .... do you know the names of the swabs? I'd love to give them a try with my Molly. Thanks much .....

abby

please make sure to check the ingredients before you use them. There are things we use that shouldnt be used on our dogs and could cause them issues. I'd be interested in these too but I need to know the ingredients first.

jazz1349610438.517400 PostsRegistered 3/12/2006

I believe she's talking about toothettes. Here's a site that has quite a variety:

http://www.allegromedical.com/browse/browseProducts.do?searchPhrase=toothettes

I happen to have these in my house and think I'll give them a try--thanks for the tip!

~jazz~

TheWinner1349631920.891366 PostsRegistered 9/5/2012Planet Earth

I TRY to--- Lola does not make it easy. I use an enzyme tooth paste for dogs that has a liver flavor..... Now when I come to her with the toothbrush... Lola runs away{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

~~~ A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory...~~~

abbycat1349637846.9834618 PostsRegistered 5/19/2007Maryland

TheWinner ..... ditto to your comment. My dog hides.

abby

<*)))><

happy hous­ewife1349730277.88332696 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007
On 10/7/2012 jazz said:

I believe she's talking about toothettes. Here's a site that has quite a variety:

http://www.allegromedical.com/browse/browseProducts.do?searchPhrase=toothettes

I happen to have these in my house and think I'll give them a try--thanks for the tip!

That is the ones - they come in pink with no chemical - useless IMO but to each their own or they come in green with the tooth cleaning chemical in them. Whatever it is it didn't hurt my daisy. I would hold her tongue out the side of her mouth - you'll need a washcloth , those tongues are slippery- so she didn't try to chew the swab and then when I needed to do that side I switched her tongue to the other side. She really seemed to like the taste of this stuff and never gave me a hard time with this. Of course you don't need to rinse. These are very inexpensive - though I freely admit, I was taking them from work.Accidentally, of course. I was sort of a fanatic about keeping my patients mouths clean and so I would put a load of these in my pocket at the start of the day.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

57babe1349731893.4078638 PostsRegistered 8/21/2010

I brush my cats teeth and if I had dogs, I'd brush their teeth as well.

Just get an enzyme toothpaste for dogs and dog toothbrush. Put your dog in a corner or sit him on a counter. I always give my cats a treat after they get their teeth brushed.

Beware of those water treatments to keep dogs teeth clean -- most are some type of disinfectant and if used long term may cause liver and kidney disease in your dog.

Look up the "active ingredient" of these products on google and then enter the chemical in toxnet.com to see what the toxic hazards of the chemical is.

Here's the link to the toxic substance website:

http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/htmlgen?HSDB

Put the name of chemical or the chemical number (found on www.chemicalbook.com ) in the search and then click on the chemical name. The toxic info will come up.

Hope this helps. Take care. :)

Page 1 of 1