Give Gorgeous
133 Members and 13773 Guests Online

Pet Lovers

Avon Skin So Soft for fleas??

Started 1348710643.817 in Pet Lovers | Last reply 1348773569.247 by NChgOfMyAttitude
replies

My poor dog is going nuts with fleas. This week while I had her at the groomer, the groomer suggested Skin So Soft as a possible remedy. So, I'm searching Ebay for the product, but what do I need? Bath Oil, Shower Gel, Body Wash??? Oil seems like a definite mess, but will the shower gel do enough? I hoping someone uses this and can help me figure out which one to use.

The groomer also told me to try a little cider vinegar in her water. The fleas won't be attracted to her. Any other ideas? I just don't have the money to buy her Advantage at this time and am looking for some home remedies. QVC Community has many great ideas and I'm can't wait to see what you all say.

Page 1 of 1
Doxie13487122479079 PostsRegistered 7/1/2007

I have used the SSS oil (regular), brewers yeast, and cider vinegar. At the time I did have good luck with them but I have to say I am not sure that it would be enough now. the fleas are getting resistant. I do use the limbs off a flee tree and it works. If your dog stays in the house I would be nervous about getting fleas in the house.. Check where you walk her outside and make sure the grass is short and that the sun hits the area.

The shower gel did not work because it did not have the same scent as the regular oil. It did not take much.

Do you wash her at home? If you do use dawn regular liquid soap and make a ring around her neck first.

doxie

Floppo1348713842.213518 PostsRegistered 4/7/2012

I'm sure someone will have the formula but I believe it was a tsp. SSS Original

oil to a gallon of water(only the original scent works). Personally the scent is

rather strong. Please text the internet for natural flea treatments---think there

is one using a lemon juice mixture. I know the Advantage is expensive but outweigh

the cost against the dog's misery and possible anemia and disrupts the whole

flea cycle which the "natural remedies" can't do. One bite is all it takes to make life

miserable....I know 'cause I was beginning to get bites postponing flea treatment

on my dogs AND cats. NOT GOOD!!!{#emotions_dlg.scared}

luvmyteddy1348715290.48682 PostsRegistered 9/4/2010Royals/Chiefs

My avon girl told me the same thing. She said it was also good as a bug repellent for people.

Must love dogs and cats

Kat 131348732341.837869 PostsRegistered 7/6/2011

Hi..

I use Avon's Skin so Soft OIL for taking those
PESTY GLUE-Type labels and price tags off everything !!!

Put it on a Q-Tip, let the Skin so Soft penetrate and VOILA !!!
Off comes the tag without scratching anything !!!
Don't use this on paper products though as it may stain.
I once used it on my hard-wood floors.
The party that once lived here had used something glue-y before
they laid down a throw rug.
There was a big square in the center of my living room outlining
where this glue-y stuff was, outlining the perimeter of the rug.
I sprayed the SSSoft on the glue, waited a minute, wiped off the glue then
applied a little lemon oil on and the outline of the glue vanished...!!

I don't think that I would use Skin So Soft on my dog though.....
Oil on the skin may clog the hair follicles....
The reason I say this is that I used WEN, which is basically OIL and
my hair starting falling out !!!

I would ASK your VET first !!!
You would not have to pay if you just Call the vet and ask.....
Also, I did get a special Shampoo for itching from my Vet as my Pup has allergies...
The Vet has other shampoos. etc that are not available in stores.
OR......
Have you tried a flea powder ???
Or a Flea collar ?? Or the Flea and Tick type shampoo ??
Those are fairly inexpensive which can be purchased at the supermarket.

Also a good website to go to and buy is DrFosterSmith.....
They have a larger variety of products than you will not find in your local supermarket.
They have a ton of everything from Shampoo to Pet Clothes....!!!

I have been VERY lucky regarding the fleas as I live on 7 acres of woods in
North Eastern New Jersey, one big toe away from New York State and the Hudson River.
What my Dog constantly gets are TICKS.....
He is a Westy, (white and hairy) so I am able to see the tiny ticks
immediately and kill them....But no Fleas....

I do not believe in that Advantage stuff......
I'm afraid to use it....

You said you went to your Groomer.....
Did she give him a flea dip ???
If not, try that and then wash everything in bleach and hot water, if possible.
Obviously no bleach or hot water if the fabric will not allow that process.
Then maybe you could set off a "Bomb" in your house.

If you decide to get the Avon Skin so Soft, go to their website and see how much the cost is there.
I got a GIGANTIC 24 ounce bottle from them directly for about $14.00.
I had signed up for e-mails and got some promo codes so shipping was free.
That was a very long time ago so I do not know what the cost is now.
((This bottle has lasted forever !!....))
I don't think I would get that on eBay ....
You really never know what you are getting.Kiss

Last edited on 9/27/2012

Last edited on 9/27/2012

Last edited on 9/27/2012

bigsister1348747033.2375737 PostsRegistered 5/15/2010Southern California

Years ago it was famous as a bug repellent for humans.

ID21348751392.9132298 PostsRegistered 6/25/2012

Aww poor poochie! You can't afford Advantage? Lame excuse in my book. Give up something to give relief to your pet! {#emotions_dlg.mad}

Love my "Pure Michigan"

NChgOfMyAt­titude1348754610.85174 PostsRegistered 10/18/2006Connecticut

As someone who had dealt with fleas last year, it's way more than the fleas on your poor little furbaby, I'm sure they are all over your house by now. You really need to take care of it. You need to do a pill they have which will drop all the fleas off her and then treat her with advantage or frontline. Then you need to treat your house and her bedding etc. They say fleas multiply by the hundreds a day. And if you see a few on your dog, expect hundreds more. It's really serious stuff.

Any fact facing us is not as important as our attitude toward it ~
Happiness is something you decide on ahead of time ~

HeaSpy31348757300.12335 PostsRegistered 9/14/2012
On 9/27/2012 ID2 said:

Aww poor poochie! You can't afford Advantage? Lame excuse in my book. Give up something to give relief to your pet! {#emotions_dlg.mad}

I'm one of those people too that don't have much compassion for those who "look for an easy way out" and try to cut corners, but you're statement just rubbed me the wrong way, today anywaty. I didn't post this question for people to feel sorry for me or my dog by any means. I'm just looking for good ideas.

My husband is in court right now with his ex-wife, and he's on the losing end. I can't afford Advantage right now. I'm only seeking direction for alternatives. There are many pet lovers on this "chat" who I'm confident have good ideas. Our financial situation is beyond our control at this point. Unfortunately for the dog, during peak flea season.

(and FYI: my daughter doean't get braces due to the witch's actions)

NChgOfMyAt­titude1348773569.2475174 PostsRegistered 10/18/2006Connecticut

Perhaps you could talk to the vet and they would give you the meds and let you pay them off on time, since your situation is bad at this time. Or possibly call your humane society or shelter and see if they have some suggestions. Those topical remedies such as skin so soft won't do the job. And the longer you wait, the worse the infestation. I caught ours right away last year and dealt with the problem for over 3 months. Each flea can lay a hundred eggs a day, etc etc. I don't mean to sound so ominous, but once you've dealt with fleas, it's your worst nightmare!!! Not trying to scare you, just stating facts.

Good luck. Don't forget the house and the dogs bedding, and if he sleeps with you, your bedding. We had them on our bed too. UGH.

Any fact facing us is not as important as our attitude toward it ~
Happiness is something you decide on ahead of time ~

Page 1 of 1