Not applicable

Home made dog food vs. store bought???

Hello everyone! Wondering if anyone can help make my decision on home made dog food vs. store bought kibble any easier??? I currently have 4 chihuahuas and awaiting the arrival of our new addition. She will be a mastiff probably weighing in over 100 pounds. The reason I am on this home made dog food kick is because of what I have been reading on the internet about store bought kibble. I am sickened by the fact that every vet recommends these popular dog food brands and they consist of nothing but corn and fillers that our pups don't need. Over the summer we rescued one of our chihuahuas and we noticed him scratching a lot. Of course I was afraid he had fleas, but that was eliminated. After a few weeks we noticed he had an awful odor even a few days after I bathed him. We assumed he had allergies so we changed his Purina dog food to Blue Buffalo which is organic and more expensive. After about 2 months of him being on this he still has the itching and the odor. I have read that it could possibly be a yeast infection especially because of the odor. He isn't due to see the vet till summer and I hesitate to take him now because I know they will run test after test after test. I read that most the diseases and illnesses dogs get are because of their diet. I practiced my dog food making this past week with home made dog treats and they loved them. I am just afraid that if I start making their food I may lack the supplements they need. I can guarantee the vet is not going to support my idea. Hopefully, with this forum it will help me make a more educated decision and give me a better insight on what is best for my pups. Thanks!{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}