Honored Contributor

Scott Kelly and the Space Station

Can you imagine leaving your family and friends for a year? You know there is no way you can return within that time frame, no matter what the emergency is. You have a serious girlfriend and two children from your previous marriage. You will miss holidays and school events. You will lose bone mass and muscle tone (according to an interview with him).

Would you consider this? Would you encourage a loved one to do it?

And for fun --

what three things would you take with you? They can't be people or animals, food, clothes, or the Internet (you will already have this!)

My answers:

I would not do it, and I hope none of my family and friends consider it. DS wanted to go on the one-way trip to Mars. He found out about it when he was 17 or 18, and he's always been interested in science. I told him I'd miss him! I don't think he was really serious about it - thank goodness!

If I HAD to do this, I would take one pair of earrings to look fabulous, my favorite out-of -print book, and makeup kit! (This is assuming all family pictures are copied and downloaded on my computer!) Wink

Honored Contributor

Re: Scott Kelly and the Space Station

No. I don't even like to fly, much less do it 250 miles above the earth. Takes special people to this. Isn't his wife the Congresslady(man) that got shot by a nut case?
hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

On 3/28/2015 hckynut said: No. I don't even like to fly, much less do it 250 miles above the earth. Takes special people to this. Isn't his wife the Congresslady(man) that got shot by a nut case?

No, that's Mark Kelly who is married to Gabby Giffords, the former Congresswoman from Arizona.

Here's a picture of Mark Kelly and Scott Kelly (identical twins), both astronauts:

Image result for scott kelly and brother

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. -- Oscar Wilde
Honored Contributor

Thank you for the info. Twins and both Astronauts? Amazing.
hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

I know there is no way I could go into space for a whole year.

I certainly would not even consider taking that one-way trip to Mars either, that's for sure.

Good luck to Mr. Kelly and thank you sir. It is a good thing that there are those who are brave enough to do this for the knowledge and benefit of the rest of us.

Super Contributor

On 3/28/2015 hckynut said: Thank you for the info. Twins and both Astronauts? Amazing.

Which is why they are doing it. Since they are identical . . . they can compare the affects on the body for the one year to that of his brother here on Earth.

edit typo

Esteemed Contributor

Would I do it? Maybe.

Are there people that I would love to send to Mars?

Oh, you betcha!

Esteemed Contributor

People who do this have a passion for it. It is something that has been a life long goal. People who climb mountains, race cars, astronauts etc... have a different type of make up than a lot of people and their lives would not be complete unless they were testing and pushing themselves. It makes them feel alive. I am not like that but I know people who are and I would never want to put limits on what they could do. Now I wouldn't want to marry or raise a family with someone like that but I am fairly certain the spouses of these people knew exactly what they were in for. Where would we be as a civilization if it weren't for these risk takers?

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

I think it's great...and a once in a lifetime opportunity. I saw the take off live yesterday..so awesome! Remember NASA and the televised lift offs.....we need space programs people! I do like the international support though....
Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Super Contributor

Before I had my daughter . . . I was pregnant when I left there . . . I worked at Boeing on the Space Station Freedom program when it was just the USA and not an international effort . . . before it ever even left the ground . . . it is amazing to work with NASA and the engineers. Before that was on the F-16 program. Another amazing feat.

Yep, it is expensive but I believe . . . just like in the 60's before we put a man on the moon, that American ingenuity can and will do just about anything.