Regular Contributor

"There can be no good without evil."

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you think this is true?

Why can't there be good without evil? We may recognize good more once we have experienced evil.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Esteemed Contributor

Some good thought provoking thoughts......

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Regular Contributor

Does one have to taste poison in order to know it kills? I don't think so.

Frequent Contributor

How can we know something is good if we don't know its opposite? Where do we get the idea that something is good if we have nothing to compare it with?

Western New York
3,866 Posts
Regular Contributor

On 3/27/2015 rarejan said:

How can we know something is good if we don't know its opposite? Where do we get the idea that something is good if we have nothing to compare it with?

So you are saying there will always be evil in the world for that very reason?

Honored Contributor

I think that I can find/recognize good on my own, without having the opposite around to 'remind' me.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Super Contributor

There can be good without evil.......I don't need snakes hanging around to make me be able to recognize angels lol.

Trusted Contributor

For what it's worth, I can't think of a major religion that doesn't recognize the existence of good and evil and a struggle between them. Evil seems to have been here since the beginning.......and seems to hold an alluring fascination for us humans. We just can't leave it alone.

Regular Contributor

On 3/27/2015 GoodStuff said:

For what it's worth, I can't think of a major religion that doesn't recognize the existence of good and evil and a struggle between them. Evil seems to have been here since the beginning.......and seems to hold an alluring fascination for us humans. We just can't leave it alone.

But whose fault is that? Wasn't it man's to begin with? Wasn't it Adam and Eve who sinned and disobeyed? What if Adam and Eve had not sinned? Where would we be today? Would evil exist without sin?