Valued Contributor

Sigma Alpha Epsilon Song Pervasive

The University of Oklahoma fraternity members who were recorded singing a racist chant on a bus learned the song during a leadership cruise held by Sigma Alpha Epsilon four years ago, university officials announced today.

The University of Oklahoma's chapter of SAE was closed earlier this month after the recording was released online. Two students were subsequently expelled from the school.

The university launched an investigation into the use of the chant, and school president David Boren announced today school officials had found that the 2011 cruise, an annual event, was the first known contact that their students had with the song.

"While there is no indication that the chant was part of the formal teaching of the national organization, it does appear that the chant was widely known and informally shared amongst members on the leadership cruise," Boren wrote in his letter.

It was then brought back to the school's chapter where it was shared with members and pledges for the past four years.

"Over time, the chant was formalized in the local SAE chapter and was taught to pledges as part of the formal and informal pledgeship process," the university's report states, going on to describe it as part of the "institutionalized culture of the chapter."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/oklahoma-fraternity-members-learned-racist-chant-cruise-school/story?id=299...

Respected Contributor

Re: Sigma Alpha Epsilon Song Pervasive

Doesn't surprise me at all.
Honored Contributor

Why did they expel the two men and not more or not any? I didn't read the story at the time.
Super Contributor

On 3/27/2015 Shawnie said: Doesn't surprise me at all.

Same here....

Honored Contributor

Not surprised either.

I saw something yesterday or the day before with one of the guys 'apologizing' for his part in it. Really? People don't say/sing things like that unless that is truly part of their thought and belief process. I just think that those 'I'm sorry I got caught' kind of apologies are worse than just keeping it shut. Don't say anything if you don't actually mean that you're sorry YOU DID IT. If you're just sorry you got caught it comes through glaringly in your little apology.

/rant (sorry)

Super Contributor

Everyone on the bus was chanting it. Yet only two were expelled. They all knew the words and sung and clapped in unison. I also noticed there was at least one woman on the bus who was clapping away. Disgusting.

Honored Contributor

We can't determine if he's really sorry...only he knows that. He did his part by apologizing; now it's our part to forgive. Like a zillion people before him that have made mistakes...he deserves a second chance.

Contributor

On 3/27/2015 chickenbutt said:

Not surprised either.

I saw something yesterday or the day before with one of the guys 'apologizing' for his part in it. Really? People don't say/sing things like that unless that is truly part of their thought and belief process. I just think that those 'I'm sorry I got caught' kind of apologies are worse than just keeping it shut. Don't say anything if you don't actually mean that you're sorry YOU DID IT. If you're just sorry you got caught it comes through glaringly in your little apology.

/rant (sorry)

Exactly. I couldn't agree more. These public apologies always killed me. They sound like idiots in my book.

Valued Contributor

DISGUSTING and the ONLY reason for sorrow is because they were caught, IMHO!

Fighting for them.( formerly EMTHeart)
https://www.facebook.com/ChicagoAnimalCareandControl/?hc_ref=ARQABXWGU0QxJ8S0etv9UWoAqEOZu1NXSKeSB0FeztlSRyGYWx17U1XqY_nz92D_IGQ

Honored Contributor

I watched the televised newscast of the 1 student. He gave a lack luster apology, which he had to read, and looked annoyed to even be there. The press asked questions to which he replied "I am not here to answer questions". Guess his speech writer didn't have any ready for him. Anyone that bought that nonsense? You are very guilible. Guess it is nice to have very rich parents as that is all I got out of narcisistic so -called apology.
hckynut(john)