Valued Contributor

Fear of Flying Post Germanwings Crash--Increased, Decreased or Unchanged

Excerpts from: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_FRANCE_PLANE_CRASH_PILOT_TRUST?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLA...

Excerpt 1: Last year, airlines flew 3.7 billion passengers worldwide; 641 died in crashes. And this isn't the first time a rogue pilot killed everyone aboard.

Previous cases included a Japan Airlines flight in 1982, a SilkAir disaster in 1997 and an EgyptAir crash in 1999. Aviation experts believe all those tragedies were pilot suicides. More recently, a preliminary investigation into a November 2013 flight from Mozambique suggests the pilot locked the co-pilot out of the cockpit and then deliberately crashed the jet.

Then there is Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, whose disappearance a year ago remains one of aviation's greatest mysteries. A leading theory is that one of the pilots intentionally crashed the jet in a remote stretch of ocean.

Excerpt 2: To enjoy their trip, fliers need to ignore the fact that they are in a pressurized aluminum tube, loaded with thousands of pounds of highly flammable fuel, racing through the air at 500 mph and an altitude of perhaps 40,000 feet. It is part of the pilot's job to assure the passengers they are safe.

Respected Contributor

Re: Fear of Flying Post Germanwings Crash--Increased, Decreased or Unchanged

I don't enjoy flying. For many reasons. The recent events don't make me like it any better but it's obvious still a very safe mode of transport.

Honored Contributor

unchanged.....i travel fairly frequently because of my s/o and our businesses.....i cannot say i am ever nervous getting on a plane or being in a plane. it also helps time pass when i can sleep and have a drink or two!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Earlier this morning I was watching a passenger jet overhead, way up there in the sky, and wondered if any of the passengers were a bit concerned because of the Germanwings tragedy. I think I would be for the first few days. After an accident it's usually considered one of the safest times to fly. Not this time, I don't know how that type of accident can be prevented.

Regular Contributor

You couldn't pay me to get on a plane now!

Valued Contributor

Considering I taught flying for 10 years, I don't think anything could make me afraid of flying, commercial or otherwise. It is one of the greatest joys of my life!!

Honored Contributor

Unchanged, I've never liked plane travel.

Super Contributor

I'm not crazy about flying . . . but we do.

I'm not crazy about road trips . . . but we do.

We enjoy traveling and ya gotta get from Point A to Point B and back again.

And all Points in between.

For me, I guess it is a control thing.

And flying, cruising the oceans & seas and driving down the road in excess of 70 mph gives me pause in knowing that my life could flash before my eyes in a nanosecond.

We have a trip planned this December to Budapest, Prague & Vienna . . . I'm tempted not to go . .. more so because too many people have added themselves to the trip and I was wanting a smaller group . . . these BIG family trips with more than a dozen people are getting old . . . too many people and too much stress for me . . . not *my* family, my husbands family and therein lies the difference. But not going to stay home BECAUSE of terrorism or planes crashing these past few months.

Esteemed Contributor

I won't be stopped by this. Driving is still more dangerous. I mean almost 4 billion flew last year and not even 1,000 died, that is pretty darn good. More people probably die a year from taking aspirin or falling off ladders while painting.

I am not crazy about flying not because I am scared but because it is a pain to do anymore.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Super Contributor

On 3/26/2015 kdgn said:

Earlier this morning I was watching a passenger jet overhead, way up there in the sky, and wondered if any of the passengers were a bit concerned because of the Germanwings tragedy. I think I would be for the first few days. After an accident it's usually considered one of the safest times to fly. Not this time, I don't know how that type of accident can be prevented.

We flew a couple of weeks after 9/11, kids were nervous.

Didn't want to fly.

We did and they were fine.

Can't let the terrorist win by changing our lifestyles.

Freedom. Always.