Esteemed Contributor

How to instantly break-in your new pair of jeans.

A big shout-out to Peggy Sagers the program developer, on-screen expert and fashion design and tech expert on PBS for a wonderful tip today on her show Fit2Stitch on PBS.

Today was Show PBS channel in Portland) and concentrated on jeans/Levis. I'd like to pass along a tip Peggy provided during this 30 minute instructional show.

You've purchased a new pair of jeans and are now faced with breaking them in. "Can't wait until these feel lived in," is an often expressed desire on the day of purchase. Now you can have that broken in lovely feel the day of purchase.

Before returning home with your new jeans, make a stop at the market and a purchase of Coca Cola. Not a knock-off, but the real thing. If you have a front loader, one can will do. If you have a top loader 3-4 cans are required. When home, remove all the tags from your new jeans, dump the cans of Coke in your washer and place the washer on the cycle you would normally use for jeans. DO NOT ADD SOAP or SOFTENER! Follow with either machine or line dry.

Wah-Lah! You now have jeans that will feel instantly lived in and wonderful.

Valued Contributor

Re: How to instantly break-in your new pair of jeans.

sfnative, Thanks for the tip! Was there any explanation of why this works? It usually does take awhile for denim to soften up, so this may be worth a try. Couldn't hurt, right? pinky

Honored Contributor

Hey, great tip! Thanks!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Would it be best to run a cycle of soapy water through the machine after using the Coca-Cola?

Honored Contributor

On 2/28/2015 deepwaterdotter said:

Would it be best to run a cycle of soapy water through the machine after using the Coca-Cola?

I think I'd save a load of towels to do after that.. I generally use hot water on them..

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Super Contributor

On 2/28/2015 deepwaterdotter said:

I would.

Honored Contributor

Technically, Levi's were made to be worn and never washed....seriously....then overtime they get the worn in feel....might freak some people out but I have a pair of jeans that I rarely wash.....they look great...I am a psycho cleanly person too.....
Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

Double post....
Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Valued Contributor

Back in the 70's i called AAA when my car wouldn't start ('lived at the beach on Brigantine NJ, salt air, etc.). Battery terminals were corroded, AAA guy poured Coke on them and it took the rust/corrosion right off! Car started right up! One, two, three! I guess that's why it softens jeans, too!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Kindness is a gift everyone can afford to give.
**Be the reason someone smiles today : )
Esteemed Contributor

On 2/28/2015 pinky ann said:

sfnative, Thanks for the tip! Was there any explanation of why this works? It usually does take awhile for denim to soften up, so this may be worth a try. Couldn't hurt, right? pinky

Ms. Sagers did not provide an explanation, one reason being that this was one of two end-of show segments that are rather brief, so time is limited. However, I can hazard a guess that it removes the sizing, which a normal wash would do, but also chemically works on the warp and weft, the weft being the white cotton layer in genuine levis, to loosen the fibers to a certain extent.

When I was a kid a lot of boys and girls would get a bottle of Coke, go out to the backyard and find a worm. The worm received a nice bath and was then placed in the bottle of Coke over night. In the morning, no more worm. So, it would seem Coke can go to work on lots of "stuff."