Esteemed Contributor

So, somebody has charged over $11,000.00 in two days, on two of my credit cards (which were never even activated). All this was done online involving 3 different states and just one day before the end of month billing period.

As soon as I saw a paper statement in the mail, I knew something was amiss. We pay everything online and never get statements by mail.

Sooooo, we called the credit card companies and they straightened everything out and we also put a 90 day Fraud Alert on our accounts. They said it takes 30-60 days for my credit report to catch up and wipe out the negative charges. Now, my Fico score went down to 785 when it should be up around 850.

Now, two of our sons are telling us about LifeLock and how great it is. So, my husband looked it up and it seems like there is more than one plan. They don't look that great, so I decided to ask around and see if anyone else out there has it and what does it do????

Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Also, when I spoke to the CC company on the phone, I asked them "wouldn't a red flag go up when something like this happens with a card that has never been used or activated" and their answer was "well, everything is automated"....... DUH - so why didn't an "automated" red flag go up??????

Honored Contributor

Re: Lifelock - who has it???

I think you can put an alert on your credit cards. I have them on my cards.

You decide what charge will trigger the notification - I made mine $3 - and you will get an e-mail immediately every time your card is used.

My AmEx card was used about 2 years ago. The company called ME and notified me about the out of town charges. The first charge was just for $7...the customer service rep said that thieves often start with one low charge before they go wild (my thief first bought a lipgloss at a drugstore, then paid for a crown and a filling at the dentist in Manhattan and topped it with a shopping spree at Century 21!).

So now every time my cards are used...I get the "ping" on my phone and can check immediately.

It's a free service and is just as good as Lifelock or another paid monitoring service, IMO.

Honored Contributor

I get a text alert any time our cards are used. I check online almost every day to make sure everything is okay with our accounts.

That's awful what happened to you. How did the charges go through if the cards weren't even activated? Were they activated by the people who made the fraudulent charges.

I don't have Lifelock, so I can't help you with that.

Super Contributor

Most opinions and reviews that I've read/heard have indicated that it's not doing anything more or better than the average person couldn't do themselves for free. I don't use it.

Money doesn't talk; it swears. --Bob Dylan
Honored Contributor

I have a question, sophiemarie?

Why would your credit score go down and why would it take so long for the charges to be reversed?

My charges were reversed in a day or two.

You caught the $11,000 in charges when you got your bill, so they weren't delinquent either.

Honored Contributor

This happened to us not long ago. Within hours, we had a call from our credit card company to warn us. They removed it from our card and traced down where it came from. We didn't have to do a thing.

IMO your credit card company was at fault.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

Probably because her debt/credit ratio changed.

Honored Contributor

On 2/27/2015 brii said:

If it went down in one month, why won't it go back up in one month?

Honored Contributor

On 2/27/2015 terrier3 said:
On 2/27/2015 brii said:

I don't know all the ins and outs of credit score changes when there is fraudulent activity on credit cards.

Honored Contributor

On 2/27/2015 brii said:
On 2/27/2015 terrier3 said:
On 2/27/2015 brii said:

I don't know all the ins and outs of credit score changes when there is fraudulent activity on credit cards.

I had no changed whatsoever on my score. Of course it was for less than $3,000 on a card with a high limit.