Respected Contributor

An Interesting Point of View

I enjoyed reading this article.........................raven

http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/mom-to-mom/why-i-want-the-choice-to-opt-out-of-vaccinating-my-chi...

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor

Re: An Interesting Point of View

Yes, an interesting point of view.

Esteemed Contributor

My issue with the issue is removing freedom of choice.

MD's are "here's your prescriptions, you'll be My Patient For Life, Now, Won't You"?

God forbid we actually let our immune systems function properly and get healthy. It might mean a few days off work.

Respected Contributor

the first thing I thought of when I read it is I don't know if this is a true story or even a real person.

Honored Contributor

Here we go again...

Trusted Contributor

I don't think the article made a lot of sense. Of course, if a child has an allergic reaction to a vaccine, he shouldn't be vaccinated again. Individual children can always be exempt from medication or vaccination for valid medical reasons. However, the public health should be endangered because some one doesn't "believe" in vaccination any more than children should be allowed to smoke marijuana because a parent believes it will expand their horizons.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Honored Contributor

I have no problem with parents opting out of vaccinations for their kids for LEGITIMATE health reasons. In fact, states that mandate vaccinations allow that. But parents shouldn't be allowed to opt out for philosophical or psuedo-science reasons or just plain ignorance. Every parent has a right to put their own child at risk but they do not have a right to put other people's children at risk and that is what happens when we allow people to opt out of vaccinations. Like it or not, for the good of society, we all have to do things that we aren't particularly happy about. It's not like vaccinations are brand new and untested and it's not like the Small pox, measles, ruebella etc aren't serious diseases.

Respected Contributor

On 2/27/2015 chrystaltree said:

I have no problem with parents opting out of vaccinations for their kids for LEGITIMATE health reasons. In fact, states that mandate vaccinations allow that. But parents shouldn't be allowed to opt out for philosophical or psuedo-science reasons or just plain ignorance. Every parent has a right to put their own child at risk but they do not have a right to put other people's children at risk and that is what happens when we allow people to opt out of vaccinations. Like it or not, for the good of society, we all have to do things that we aren't particularly happy about. It's not like vaccinations are brand new and untested and it's not like the Small pox, measles, ruebella etc aren't serious diseases.

"they do not have the right to put other people's children at risk" .......interesting.......IF your child HAS been vaccinated it's NOT at risk........the only child at risk would be the non-vaccinated one.

"It's not like vaccinations are brand new and untested"........you say that as if you believe they are 100% safe.............they aren't....... $724 million (as of January 1997) in compensation has been paid under the National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act of 1986 since its inception.................................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Respected Contributor

On 2/27/2015 raven-blackbird said:

"they do not have the right to put other people's children at risk" .......interesting.......IF your child HAS been vaccinated it's NOT at risk........the only child at risk would be the non-vaccinated one.

"It's not like vaccinations are brand new and untested"........you say that as if you believe they are 100% safe.............they aren't....... $724 million (as of January 1997) in compensation has been paid under the National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act of 1986 since its inception.................................................raven

Children before the age of 1 or children with suppressed immune systems can have problems with measles if exposed to a child not vaccinated. I think it was Noel that posted about herd immunity? If enough people opt out of vaccines, we are going to see the return of diseases that we haven't seen in years.{#emotions_dlg.sad}

Trusted Contributor

On 2/27/2015 raven-blackbird said:

Some children are too young to be vaccinated and others have compromised immune systems and can't be vaccinated. It is these children who are put at risk by parents who refuse to have children vaccinated for non medical reasons.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.