Valued Contributor

Hope This Does Not Inspire Copycats But Probably Will

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. (AP) — Computers, cellphones and landlines in Arizona were knocked out of service for hours, ATMs stopped working, 911 systems were disrupted and businesses were unable to process credit card transactions — all because vandals sliced through a fiber-optic Internet cable buried under the rocky desert.

The Internet outage did more than underscore just how dependent modern society has become on high technology. It raised questions about the vulnerability of the nation's Internet infrastructure.

Alex Juarez, a spokesman for Internet service provider CenturyLink, said the problem was first reported around noon Wednesday, and customer complaints immediately began to pour in from the northern edges of Phoenix to cities like Flagstaff, Prescott and Sedona. Service began coming back within a few hours and was reported fully restored by about 3 a.m. Thursday.

CenturyLink blamed vandalism, and police are investigating.

More: http://apnews.myway.com//article/20150226/us--northern_arizona-internet_outage-bf48e457ec.html

Honored Contributor

Re: Hope This Does Not Inspire Copycats But Probably Will

OMG, how did they even know where to find the cables? {#emotions_dlg.scared}

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

If they hadn't thought of it, they will now. You just know someone else will try it. {#emotions_dlg.angry}

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

Vandals went after the power grid in CA last year. Only a matter of time.

Honored Contributor

Not being able to get 911 is truly frightening. Fires out of control, violent incidents...

I hope they catch them and prosecute them to the full extent of the law. And I mean murder, if someone died as a result of not being able to get help.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

I kind of wish they didn't have to broadcast the exact details of how somebody does something destructive like this. I guess those who have the desire to do damage will figure out just about anything, but I hate to see them making it so much easier for them, not to mention just giving them the idea of exactly WHAT to do.

Respected Contributor

I read about this today in my hometown local paper in Canada....this made the news there too.

Valued Contributor

On 2/26/2015 chickenbutt said:

I kind of wish they didn't have to broadcast the exact details of how somebody does something destructive like this. I guess those who have the desire to do damage will figure out just about anything, but I hate to see them making it so much easier for them, not to mention just giving them the idea of exactly WHAT to do.

ITA!!

Fighting for them.( formerly EMTHeart)
https://www.facebook.com/ChicagoAnimalCareandControl/?hc_ref=ARQABXWGU0QxJ8S0etv9UWoAqEOZu1NXSKeSB0FeztlSRyGYWx17U1XqY_nz92D_IGQ

Respected Contributor

On 2/26/2015 NoelSeven said:

Good question, Noel.

I'm guessing that cable locations are not very well protected, either within the company or outside the company.

It's time for much greater security for these kinds of things.

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent
Valued Contributor

On 2/26/2015 NoelSeven said:

From the linked article:

The CenturyLink-owned cable — actually, a set of cables bundled together in a black jacket a few inches in diameter — was buried several feet under the rocky soil in a dry wash, about a quarter-mile from the nearest houses and a couple of miles from an outlet mall. Vehicles can navigate the area easily, but foot traffic there is rare, Phoenix police spokesman Officer James Holmes said.

"It's almost as if someone had to know it was there," Holmes said.

The article also notes that average home saws or wire cutters would not have been enough to cut the cable.