Trusted Contributor

Do you read the entire thread or just the OP?

I generally read all the responses in a thread before responding. I was wondering what other people do. Of course, if it's a very long thread I'll just spot read.

What gets me is when someone asks a question and it's already been answered -- often multiple times in the replies already submitted that they must not have read. Have you ever noticed that? It aggravates me a little some days.

For example, there's a thread on Theresa Guidice being busted by a Fed agents via a surprise visit where they allegedly took cash, jewelry and the kids Christmas presents. It was later shown to be a hoax. I copied and pasted a post from a reliable source that said it was a fake report and the feds, lawyers, etc... all said it never happened. There are still people who will post to the thread asking about it. I think to myself, it's already there in the thread in black and white. LOL I say this tongue in cheek, I'm not really mad at anyone over it.

It just made me wonder if people bother to read all or some of the replies in a thread before responding or asking a question.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you read the entire thread or just the OP?

Sometimes I don't have the time to read all of the replies. I always read the thread headliner and then go to the bottom (last reply) and read backwards for a page or sometimes two. Then, I submit what usually is my first thought re: the subject. I have, however, quite often changed my mind. Edited: Many times I just answer the thread question/request. Then, if and when I have time, I read the most recent replies.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I read the whole thread.
Esteemed Contributor

I agree especially with your second paragraph, where something has already been posted or answered multiple times, and people continue to post as if it isn't even there. If a thread is just too long, unless I have something I REALLY want to say, I usually just skip it. But if I decide to post, I do at least skim over the entire thread to get the gist of what's going on, what has been said, and then decide whether or not to post.

What bothers me at times is when people don't read or at least skim over the prior responses, because often a thread leads off into a totally different discussion, or in a different direction although still on the OP's subject. Then if someone posts who has no idea what's going on, their post sometimes doesn't even make sense.

I do know there are posters who admittedly have just read the title, and apparently haven't even read the OP's post, and then questions what it's about... why not read it and you'll know? Or if the OP posts a link to something which explains what the thread is about, but people don't read that so they have no idea, and post anyway. I don't get bent out of shape about these things, but it does get frustrating sometimes.{#emotions_dlg.huh}

Honored Contributor

I almost always read the entire thread. It bugs me, too, when the same question is asked repeatedly.
Honored Contributor

99.9% of the time I read all the posts in a thread, except for the screamy ones in all caps or all bolded (rude and gives me a headache), or long posts with all the dots written in one giant sentence that has a bunch of dots every few words (that makes my eyes cross).

I think it's rude to not read anything but the OP and, like Kittymom said, just say the same thing that's already said a dozen times, as though only what they have to say matters. They might as well just have a conversation with themselves. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

There have been times I slogged through a long thread only to see it go poof before I could post. But I agree that one should at least attempt to read a thread before posting to get the gist of the conversation and see what's already been said and backed up. I did have one very rude poster tell me that my source of information that I sited wasn't good enough for her while others told me it was absolutely a reliable source as they lived in the city where it came from.

Esteemed Contributor

I usually read the whole thread before I comment......

Esteemed Contributor

I just saw something that reminds me of one more thing about why I make sure I read the prior responses before I post. Sometimes I'm interested in the subject and would like to comment, but when I read the posts, see who is posting on the thread and start seeing certain types of comments, I realize that I need to just stay out of it. I have very strong opinions about some things some of the time, and it just wouldn't be a good idea to express how I feel, especially if I'm tempted to respond to a particular poster. So I leave it alone. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Honored Contributor

I think I might know to what you refer, Kittymom. I just SMH and got out of there.