Esteemed Contributor

How far ahead do you thaw your turkey?

It has been a while since I made a big turkey. (We usually go out T giving or make turkey pieces for DH and I). And we usually have ham for Christmas (at my daughters)

We are making a turkey dinner and hosting this year on Christmas Eve day (around 1) with my family. So that's our Christmas dinner with my side of the family.

The turkey is a womping 21 lbs.

Its not a Butterball but I went to their website and it says for a 21 lb turkey to thaw in fridge 6 days? If doing it in cold water 10 hours (with changing the water every so often while thawing).

I am starting to make the turkey Tuesday afternoon/evening and finishing it Wednesday since we are having an early dinner.

I would prefer to thaw in the fridge and not set it out in water (due to our cats -in case and we wont be home the entire thaw time), but perhaps I have to thaw it in water, because according to Butterball the turkey should have been in the fridge already days ago. That seems early to me!

How far ahead and how do you thaw yours?

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

Re: How far ahead do you thaw your turkey?

21 pounds...yikes...I have no clue how long that will take. My refridge is so cold it would take forever. lol

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Esteemed Contributor

I thaw mine in cold water in a cooler and then I empty it out and disinfect it and use the same cooler to brine the turkey. I don't have time to let my turkey thaw for days in the fridge nor do I have the space.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

I would put it in the refrigerator now for Tuesday cooking.

O/T Shorty, thanks for your comments on the My Granddaughter threadSmile

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Esteemed Contributor

You don't have to thaw a turkey. You can roast it frozen or partially frozen. You can google it and find many, many sites to choose from.

http://blog.williams-sonoma.com/yes-you-can-roast-a-frozen-turkey/

Esteemed Contributor

I had a 10 pound turkey for Thanksgiving. The Butterball website said to thaw it for 2.5 days. Mom said to thaw it for 4 days.

Mom trumped. I put the turkey in the fridge that Saturday and it was thawed by Thursday.

For a 21 pound turkey, I would do more than 6 days.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Super Contributor

I buy ""fresh"" not frozen.

Honored Contributor

I thaw a 15 lb. turkey in the refrigerator for three days. 21 lbs. would probably be four days.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

My experience is it always takes longer than the guidelines!
Honored Contributor

On 12/19/2014 santaslittlehelper said: My experience is it always takes longer than the guidelines!

Mine too...every time it takes longer then advised.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**