Respected Contributor

This is an extension of Lotus' thread about the Sony cyber attack. Clooney circulated this petition all over Hollywood and not one studio executive would sign it. What scares me about the demands is that NK states that what they've done is only a small part of a larger plan. I know our government and the entertainment industry is at a loss as to what to do to combat these cyber attacks, but now that one group has been successful, you can bet that other groups will follow suit.

On November 24 of this year, Sony Pictures was notified that it was the victim of a cyber attack, the effects of which is the most chilling and devastating of any cyber attack in the history of our country. Personal information including Social Security numbers, email addresses, home addresses, phone numbers and the full texts of emails of tens of thousands of Sony employees was leaked online in an effort to scare and terrorize these workers. The hackers have made both demands and threats. The demand that Sony halt the release of its upcoming comedy The Interview, a satirical film about North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un. Their threats vary from personal—you better behave wisely—to threatening physical harm—not only you but your family is in danger. North Korea has not claimed credit for the attack but has praised the act, calling it a righteous deed and promising merciless measures if the film is released. Meanwhile the hackers insist in their statement that what they’ve done so far is only a small part of our further plan. This is not just an attack on Sony. It involves every studio, every network, every business and every individual in this country. That is why we fully support Sony’s decision not to submit to these hackers’ demands. We know that to give in to these criminals now will open the door for any group that would threaten freedom of expression, privacy and personal liberty. We hope these hackers are brought to justice but until they are, we will not stand in fear. We will stand together.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

Re: George Clooney's Petition

Regular Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Good for you, George!

Respected Contributor

He's an actor. No one very important in the scheme of things.

Personally I'm waiting for someone else to make a statement.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

Yea, George !!! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Honored Contributor

Well, it's very unfortunate that this is happening, but I think MAYBE studio executives will be a little more thoughtful when approving potential movie projects.

While it might have been an attempt at "light hearted" film making, it sounds like it was mocking a powerful lunatic.

What could you expect? {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Respected Contributor

The FBI has confirmed that the hackers definitely came from North Korea. Also, it was revealed in the 12:00 news today that the hackers sent Sony a new message, praising them for pulling the movie, but warning them against any further action or there would be consequences.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Regular Contributor

Remember ""Speak softly and carry a big stick"" We've become a very weak country.

Respected Contributor

I like George Clooney but not sure of the point of his letter or why studio execs would or would not sign it.

I read that Sony's security was not the best. Add to that the foolish decision to develop a film poking fun at a brutal world leader. They did this to themselves. It's a problem for all the employees whose personal info was hacked.

I'm sure all corporations are reviewing their cyber-security. It's a wake-up call.

Respected Contributor

On 12/19/2014 happygal said:

I like George Clooney but not sure of the point of his letter or why studio execs would or would not sign it.

I read that Sony's security was not the best. Add to that the foolish decision to develop a film poking fun at a brutal world leader. They did this to themselves. It's a problem for all the employees whose personal info was hacked.

I'm sure all corporations are reviewing their cyber-security. It's a wake-up call.

ITA. Good post.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero