Trusted Contributor

Virgin Galactic's SpaceshipTWO explodes

CNN is covering this story now. This was going to be the first space tourist exploration vessel -- suborbital orbit. Celebs and other noteworthy folks were paying 200K each to ride.

It was on a test flight and experienced an "anomaly".

Honored Contributor

Re: Virgin Galactic's SpaceshipTWO explodes

n/m

Honored Contributor

Blessings to the pilots and their families.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Trusted Contributor

At least one pilot confirmed dead. The other suffered major injury. Such terrible news and a big setback.

Respected Contributor

Two major space endeavors gone bad -- so much disappointment and loss.

The human ability to keep trying is quite amazing.

Super Contributor

AWFUL. Having worked at a defense contractor . . . and all the software, hardware and the test station anomaly reports . . . that are corrected on the simulators . . . and then when disaster happens with the real thing and real people it is so very sad. Test pilots and those who put their life on the line are brave folks!!! RIP

Respected Contributor

Oh no

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

The other night my husband and I were getting home from dinner and our neighbors were all standing in the middle of the road in front of our house.

We caught the last few seconds of a rocket going by. Our neighbors said that the local news gave a timeframe to see it (only about 5 mins.) and we were lucky enough to catch it. No one knew if it was unmanned or not.

I totally forgot about it till now.

How sad that lives were lost, that risk is always there. I know I could never get in one of those things, or a submarine, I'd freak out.

Regular Contributor

Horrible...
Honored Contributor

Prayers for those who were in the Galactic rocket test. I think there was much hope for the potential of these vehicles contracted out to private companies, but these two events might cast a shadow on their future.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova