Super Contributor

Junk Pushers this Time of Year

From years of shopping on line, as many have done, have you noticed that this is the time of year where sub-par junk is sold "as gifts"? Things which are malfunctioning pieces of junk? Even here? As if the buyers get a bundle of miscellaneous quick-gift-ideas that they buy for cheap--which really is cheaply made, and is sold to be sold (to us) by some fly-by-night junk pushers. Then they are sold in prettily worded or in "everyone needs/wants this!!" hype and you buy it, you give it, and the receiver of such junk may or may not (probably not) tell you it doesn't work, it stinks, it's a piece of junk? Therefore, no returns and there's a profit. And you gave a gift which keeps on giving money to the junk pushers...

Honored Contributor

Re: Junk Pushers this Time of Year

B & M stores do the same. It's "gift giving" time and they just want you to buy something, anything from them to up their sales and make you feel good because you got everyone a little something. It's sell, sell, sell, season. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Super Contributor

My examples from here:

I bought from Laurie Grenier a group (I think 10 or 12) of tinned scented candles with their own stocking to package them. The candles smelled like metal. The stockings were cheap, easy-to-tear fabric, some kind of weird flannel? And the tins didn't fit into them & would tear if you tried to put them inside. They were pure junk and I returned them and that was my last order with her. Period.

Another example: Gloves which had a "secret pocket" in them, which, actually, they were nice--EXCEPT the thumb on one of them was sewn on backwards. Believe it or not, it wasn't that I got two of the left glove--it was that the right glove had the palm where it should be, but where the pinky should be, the thumb was sewn, and where the thumb should be, the pinky was sewn. The palm was in the correct place, as was the top of the glove, but the thumb and pinky on the right glove were reversed! ALIEN gloves, lol!

Another was some dumb submarine toy which was supposed to dive and swim under water. The thing would float on top of the water, go belly up and then splash water in the air. What a piece of junk! Never returned that, so it was a loss.

So if you wish to give gifts this time of year, be careful from the hype...

Super Contributor

On 10/21/2014 Preds said:

B & M stores do the same. It's "gift giving" time and they just want you to buy something, anything from them to up their sales and make you feel good because you got everyone a little something. It's sell, sell, sell, season. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I know! The aisles are filled with this stuff, as well. And at checkout counters. Some things may be okay, but those temporary show up items, this time of year, probably are untested items which are selling on impulse in some cases!

Super Contributor

On 10/21/2014 ical said:

My examples from here:

I bought from Laurie Grenier a group (I think 10 or 12) of tinned scented candles with their own stocking to package them. The candles smelled like metal. The stockings were cheap, easy-to-tear fabric, some kind of weird flannel? And the tins didn't fit into them & would tear if you tried to put them inside. They were pure junk and I returned them and that was my last order with her. Period.

Another example: Gloves which had a "secret pocket" in them, which, actually, they were nice--EXCEPT the thumb on one of them was sewn on backwards. Believe it or not, it wasn't that I got two of the left glove--it was that the right glove had the palm where it should be, but where the pinky should be, the thumb was sewn, and where the thumb should be, the pinky was sewn. The palm was in the correct place, as was the top of the glove, but the thumb and pinky on the right glove were reversed! ALIEN gloves, lol!

Another was some dumb submarine toy which was supposed to dive and swim under water. The thing would float on top of the water, go belly up and then splash water in the air. What a piece of junk! Never returned that, so it was a loss.

So if you wish to give gifts this time of year, be careful from the hype...

Chuckles Candy

Chuckles Candy

*2 chuckles* {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor

focksie ... LOL

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Super Contributor

On 10/21/2014 Preds said:

focksie ... LOL

Hey Preds.

It sounded like something I may have knitted.

Honored Contributor

I've heard of two left feet, but two left hands? {#emotions_dlg.blink} OOPSIE!

Honored Contributor

I agree that junk season is in full swing on the Q, in catalogs, and in B&M stores. Whenever the Q calls a show "Great Gifts" you know it will be a junk show.

Trusted Contributor

Drug stores like Walgreens are filled with this junk this time of year.