Contributor

Blade Runner Gets 5 years in Prison for killing Girlfriend

Oscar Pistorious AKA The blade runner was sentenced to 5 years in prison for shooting his girlfriend Riva steenkamp I still think it was murder

Honored Contributor

Re: Blade Runner Gets 5 years in Prison for killing Girlfriend

We do, too. At least he got something and didn't just walk away.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

SOURCE: AP, 10/21/14, 3:36 AM

PRETORIA, South Africa (AP) -- "... Oscar Pistorius was sentenced Tuesday to five years in prison for killing Reeva Steenkamp by a South African judge who cited the "gross negligence" the runner showed when he shot his girlfriend multiple times through a toilet cubicle door in his home.

However, legal experts said the section of law Judge Thokozile Masipa quoted when she announced the double-amputee Olympic athlete's sentence provides for a maximum of five years in prison and Pistorius could be released after 10 months in jail to serve the remainder of his sentence under house arrest.

Masipa also sentenced Pistorius to three years in prison for unlawfully firing a gun in a restaurant in a separate incident weeks before Steenkamp's 2013 shooting death. She ordered that sentence to be wholly suspended.

Masipa delivered her ruling after reviewing prosecution arguments for a tough sentence as well as the defense case for a more lenient punishment for Pistorius.

Pistorius killed Steenkamp on Valentine's Day last year, shooting her through a toilet door in his home. Pistorius testified that the shooting was an accident because he mistook his girlfriend for a nighttime intruder.

Masipa convicted him of culpable homicide, or negligent killing, but acquitted him of murder.

Pistorius stood as the judge announced his sentence, and then left the courtroom and walked down a flight of stairs that lead to holding cells. His sentence starts immediately..."

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Super Contributor

This judge has a reputation as a tough, hardnosed jurist.........but I think she had a real soft spot for Oscar..........She let him off easy..........I do wonder how he will fare in prison.......Will he be allowed to wear his prosthetics?........or are they considered to be too weaponlike?..........Thank you AnikaBrodie for the AP article........I do hope he is released to house arrest after 10 months.....he did a terrible terrible thing but like the judge here I have a soft spot for Oscar......
Honored Contributor

Word is 10 months or less ... then house arrest.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

It was the defense atty who said 10 months. The prosecutor said more like 20.

Either way. Not enough.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/pistorius-starts-five-year-term-for-killing-reeva-steenkamp/ar-...

Respected Contributor

So he basically got away with a slap on the wrist for murder.{#emotions_dlg.sneaky}

If she was my daughter he had killed, I cannot imagine how I would feel about such a light sentence.{#emotions_dlg.sad}

Honored Contributor

I'm surprised he got any jail time. Sad, for her parents, that he got away with such a light sentence.

Esteemed Contributor

Not enough time, imo.

Super Contributor

They say he will be out in 10 months. Seems like not much time for pay back for a beautiful life that you snuffed out. I feel bad for the parents of the girl. Not enough payback.