Esteemed Contributor

If your husband or S.O said this to you would it upset you?

I had Q on in the background earlier when the Perricone items were on.

Some caller was on the phone. I think she said she's 41 and people think she's 30 after using Perricone.

So Shawn said to her tell us your story.

(I am paraphrasing as I don't remember every exact word).

And she told her story and then she said well my husband told me Im showing signs of aging lines so she tried Perricone and loves it.

When the call was ending Shawn said (laughing as in joking) tell your husband not to say that anymore.

The caller got a little bit defensive and said he meant it in a good way, we've been together so many years (I forgot the amount).

I thought ok caller, IF my husband told me about aging and or lines I would NOT be mad, BUT I admit I'd be "kind of" hurt.

(My husband never insults me on my looks and he is 8 yrs younger than me. He has never said anything when I gained 20 lbs, never mentioned anything about lines or anything. In fact if I say something about losing 15 lbs or something he says oh honey you look fine). And I might add I would never say anything to him about his looks or anything. He has salt and pepper hair (more salt than pepper now) but I tell him he looks distinguished. (Which is a good thing)

So would it bother you if your husband or S.O. mentioned your looks in any bad way?

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

Re: If your husband or S.O said this to you would it upset you?

Said here many times my wife says I look like ""a homeless man"". Does it bother me? Nope.

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

My husband complains that I wear make-up. Ha! Too bad! That's just me - it's part of my being. Though I will say he's never commented negatively on my aging, which has only started to occur in the last year. I'm happy with that.

Respected Contributor

Oh, it's happened to me repeatedly, but I'm a strong woman.

Valued Contributor

no, never happened to me---I probably wouldn't pay any attention to a remark like that----I'm a cute one -----LOLOLOL
Esteemed Contributor

My husband would never say that to me, luckily for him!!

Honored Contributor

It probably would depend on exactly how it was said and in what context. No one gets any younger and wrinkles are part of the aging process and if anyone has wrinkles, they are there no matter what anyone says or doesn't say!! After hearing me saying, I don't have wrinkles around my eyes but the forehead lines and 11's are starting, my SO said he loves me in spite of that (and often jokes about those horrible 11 lines) and will love me even if I get wrinkles all over!! If it was said in that type of context when talking about wrinkles why get offended but if out of the blue he said boy you sure are starting to show the signs of aging and you NEED to do something about it then that would be insulting!!! It often seems some women are ok with insulting and even wanting to change their SO's looks but get highly offended by any little comment their SO makes about them!

Super Contributor

On 10/20/2014 Shorty2U said:

Some caller was on the phone. I think she said she's 41 and people think she's 30 after using Perricone.

And she told her story and then she said well my husband told me Im showing signs of aging lines so she tried Perricone and loves it.

When the call was ending Shawn said (laughing as in joking) tell your husband not to say that anymore.

The caller got a little bit defensive and said he meant it in a good way, we've been together so many years (I forgot the amount).

I thought ok caller, IF my husband told me about aging and or lines I would NOT be mad, BUT I admit I'd be "kind of" hurt.

(My husband never insults me on my looks and he is 8 yrs younger than me. He has never said anything when I gained 20 lbs, never mentioned anything about lines or anything. In fact if I say something about losing 15 lbs or something he says oh honey you look fine). And I might add I would never say anything to him about his looks or anything. He has salt and pepper hair (more salt than pepper now) but I tell him he looks distinguished. (Which is a good thing)

So would it bother you if your husband or S.O. mentioned your looks in any bad way?

I like honesty. For example, if I know that I look tired and if I asked someone, "Don't you see I look tired today?" And they say: "Oh no. You always look beautiful!" I would think that person is a crock and their opinions are equal to flushing.

If you look fat in a pair of jeans, and you ask someone: "Does this make me look fat?" If the person uses words which pat-you-on-the-head as if you're incapable of honest criticism the problem exists in either of two places:

1.) It is you (not you, OP, the general "you"). And you are incapable of truth about you and your world (fairy tale thinking which must be sustained by those in your field of "existence"). More than likely everyone knows how to "speak" and "live" around you not to ruffle your pretend image of things and of yourself.

2.) The person giving feedback, simply, may be not interested beyond "keeping peace". And frankly, does not care as they are not interested in you (related to 1 above).

Respected Contributor

On 10/21/2014 ical said:
On 10/20/2014 Shorty2U said:

I like honesty. For example, if I know that I look tired and if I asked someone, "Don't you see I look tired today?" And they say: "Oh no. You always look beautiful!" I would think that person is a crock and their opinions are equal to flushing.

If you look fat in a pair of jeans, and you ask someone: "Does this make me look fat?" If the person uses words which pat-you-on-the-head as if you're incapable of honest criticism the problem exists in either of two places:

1.) It is you (not you, OP, the general "you"). And you are incapable of truth about you and your world (fairy tale thinking which must be sustained by those in your field of "existence"). More than likely everyone knows how to "speak" and "live" around you not to ruffle your pretend image of things and of yourself.

2.) The person giving feedback, simply, may be not interested beyond "keeping peace". And frankly, does not care as they are not interested in you (related to 1 above).

sorry for quoting this whole post but if you know you look tired what is the point of asking someone don't you know I look tired today?

Esteemed Contributor

There is a difference between a ""put-down"" remark and an honest remark or discussion. I think it is an insult to be told a white lie that is very apparently not true.