Honored Contributor

A glitch in my kitchen remodel (LONG)- Need Clarification OR Advice - Thanks!

Well excitement of having my kitchen remodeled has turned into a "not so fun" endeavor by the contractor.

I started this process with 5 contractors since September 1. After receiving quotes and finalizing details we decided on a certain contractor as others in our neighborhood have had work done by him and were satisfied and price was about where we wanted to be.

On his final confirmation "quote of acceptance" there was a note on it to contact contractor and to come to showroom. This quote included kitchens, granite countertops, painting, demo/labor, sink/faucet provided by them.

**There was a note: Plumbing disconnect/reconnect is the responsibility of the owner.

This was rec'd 9/11 - I went to the showroom 9/12 at which time worked with a kitchen designer, selecting cabinets, counter, etc.

Upon leaving she told me she would be in contact with me to remeasure. Two weeks pass and I contact her. (Not available left a message to return my call - finally after 3 days I call them).

She apologizes as she had a family matter to take care of. OK, no problem. She comes to my home to measure and we return to the showroom AGAIN.

I go back (I should mention its 40 min away) to the showroom to meet with her to finalize the layout, cabinets selected, hardware - at that time she tells me she will call me the next day with the sq. ft. needed for the countertops. Gives me the granite yard information and tells me as soon as i get the # to go there and select my granite.

3-4 days pass I call there and ask for her - she is not available again. The other employee tells me I need 29 sq. ft. (the 1st measure done by the contractor was 19 sq. ft.) -

The next day I drive 1.5 hrs. to the granite yard which I spend 3 hours looking and finally selecting a granite.

I called to let them know I selected the granite and what was the next step, the receptionist told me to bring the downpayment. I asked what it was - she had the owner call me back. The owner called and told me he wanted total payment in full BEFORE he would order cabinets, granite, sink, etc.

My husband was leary of giving someone the total amount therefore, he was only wiling to give him 80%. discuss these concerns with the contractor he would not accept anything less than 90%. That afternoon, I went to the showroom and gave them a check on 10/7 - at which time I signed a contract, and was given the balance due $. (At this point, I thought the cabinets were being ordered since he told me they would start within the next week or so).

On 10/17 I rec'd a call from the designer stating I did not sign all the paperwork. I needed to come in AGAIN to sign off before they could order my cabinets. (10 days it took them to call me!!!) Well back to the showroom I go!

Excited to know things are moving along she said to me "Did you bring the rest of the $ I understand you did a downpayment". I told her I spoke to the owner and that's what he told me was needed as downpayment.

She said well we can't order the granite until YOU pay the granite bill and for sink/faucet, the downpayment amount was for labor fees, and order cabinets. OH AND HERE COMES THE BIG ONE: The cabinets selected were not the cabinet used for the quote and countertop was laminate - they won't move forward with ordering anything until I come up with another $850!!!!

W-H-A-T??????? My heart drops - so she calls the owner and he comes in and says "I couldn't do that job for that price with granite". Huh, the quote says granite - then he states the price on the quote was for a laminate top. I said the quote clearly says granite $1,340 ...we go back and forth and bottom line "he says we'll make it work but you'll have to select from a different group of cabinet".

He said "Don't worry its a better product, better glides, hinges, etc." - now I'm confused as the cabinets I picked out they say were the best and now they say its not as good quality.

Then she said the additional charge for the sink/faucet is $500. WHAT???? That was in the quote as in stock discounted amount.

Now, here I am 6 weeks later and they have my $$$ and not one thing has been ordered NOR anything being resolved with the quote.

I know this is LONG but isn't a quote and a signed contract & more importantly, I paid 95% upfront to this contractor (and he cashed the check fast) wouldn't you think that would be the price for the project. BTW: The quote was clearly broken down into price for cabinets, labor, painting, sink/faucet, demo, granite countertops. I said I'm not paying anymore $$$.

When I left the showroom the owner & designer said they would call me next day (which was Thursday this week) to resolve this issue of price difference. This is the first time I have ever done anything like this always built my homes BUT now I'm worried 1) I called again today since they NEVER CALLED or CALLED ME BACK, 2) they have my $$$$ 3) isn't a quote and a signed contract a agreement of price?

Planning on going into that business on Monday very calmly and either this issue is resolved or I am not leaving there until I have my money refunded in a cashiers check....do you think this is wrong!!!

I'm stressed to death over this, I've saved this money for 2 years and now to having 2nd thoughts about this contractor too!!!

I can always count on "level headed" thoughts or suggestions on these boards. I thank you in advance ... I'm not thinking so nicely or clearly right now and don't want to do be so mad I do something not in my best interest. Thanks so much!

Valued Contributor

Re: A glitch in my kitchen remodel (LONG)- Need Clarification OR Advice - Thanks!

Can you check with the neighbors who were happy with this work and find out how long ago he worked for them and how was the money and contract handled for them - did they have the same experience? If it was a while ago, his circumstances might have changed and he is using your money for some other purpose. I know it isn't how they say you should pay a contractor but maybe this is how he works. Given all the horror stories of contractors, I don't blame you for being really nervous about all this.

Did you check this contractor with the BBB, Angie's List or Home Advisor? How about the state registry of contractors? Are his licenses current and does he have a bond and insurance? Are there any lawsuits pending or recently settled? His license number should be on the contract and you can check all of this online, you don't have to wait to call on Monday.

I wish I had more direct advice to give you. There will be others on here tomorrow and for sure on Monday who will be able to give you very good advice. Good Luck and I hope you are able to enjoy a beautiful new kitchen for Christmas! Take care.

Honored Contributor

Re: A glitch in my kitchen remodel (LONG)- Need Clarification OR Advice - Thanks!

Think this is not right, see an attorney. Stop payment on checks if you can, ask the attorney, it may be too late to stop the check payments. This just doesn't sound right!!! Get an attorney.

Honored Contributor

I too would take my contract and see an attorney. When we had our kitchen remodeled we had to pay 20% to get started , then 20% at each of 3 points along the way - those were described in the original contract - and the final 20% plus any add on during the process at the very end. For instance I had found a much nicer back door than we originally planned and I had to initial that additional cost that he added to the contract and pay it at the end.Plus, when i went to look for things like cabinets,floors and counters my contractor was with me and if I wanted anything that was more expensive than what he used for the estimate he told me what it would cost right then and there and I would have to initial that on the contract.

Honored Contributor

NEVER give a contractor full payment, and I think it is illegal for him to do that, just as it is illegal for him to bill you for work that hasn't been done. I just finished a large remodeling project. A down payment of about $2,000 was requested to get things going. As we went along, statements were emailed for "work already done." I have never heard of a contractor having cabinets, etc., etc., usually one has to go to various places to purchase these things. I went to a cabinet company, a granite yard, an appliance store, and the contractor did all of the rest. He supplied the plumber to disconnect/reconnect, and all other plumbing needed, then I paid "after" the work was completed.

Honored Contributor

ugh! After these few comments I'm getting nervous about this! We will go there tomorrow (wish it was here already!) and demand to see owner. Why does this has to be so darn stressful - my brother is upset with me he is a master plumber & contractor (not near me) he has NEVER got 100% or more than 1/2 prior to job start. Thank you for your replies I'm praying this wasn't a scam contractor - although others in my neighborhood used him in the past and were satisfied but honestly I wonder if they weren't on a budget like us as they bought with the intentions of complete remodels.
Super Contributor

Definitely call an attorney. Sometimes a well written letter from them is all that is needed. But for future reference, don't ever pay 80 to 90% of a job up front. You should have a payment schedule as part of the contract agreement and it should specify 1/4 or no more than 1/3 of the total to be paid at various specified stages as the job is being completed. Once a contractor has your $$ he can stall you for a long time and contractors who need so much up-front are usually ones with poor credit. They can't buy the needed supplies as they have no cash on hand and it's very likely that he's using your money to fund another job where the customer isn't as free with their wallet as you've been. Good luck with your project and consider this a lesson learned.

Honored Contributor

What I don't understand about the original story here - there are various grades of everything from flooring to cabinets to grades of granite - so how could they give you an estimate on the job unless you either have already made your choices OR the contractor accompanies you to the place where you make the choices to be certain you stay within the grade he quoted or that you understand (in writing) that the choice you made adds --extra dollars to the price, and you agree to that extra and sign off on that. Plus I don't think you have to be a rocket scientist to know not to pay the entire amount of the job up front - who would sign a contract that doesn't include how it is going to be paid for ?

I recall going to the kitchen designer's office to make our choices and I looked at a set of cabinets he had sitting there that were soooo beautiful - he said it's best not to look at what you can't afford(laughing) and directed me to a different area where the ones that were within my budget were located. Once you are given a price that doesn't give you carte Blanche to just pick any thing you see at the showroom - you have to stay within the choices that suit what you were quoted.

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry you're having this experience. When I did mine, here was my timeline:

Feb-March- contacted two contractors about the estimate to remodel

Feb- went to the cabinet showroom and selected finishes/styles. Cabinet people drew up two different plans (one with island, one with peninsula) and I selected the one I wanted.

May- I went to the quarry and selected the piece of granite, tagged with my name.

June- cabinet people came out to site to measure the said plan.

June-

day one- demo

day two- tile floor laid

day three- tile floor grouted

day four- lower and upper cabinets installed

day five- granite people made template and measured the space

Then it was one week for the install of the granite, so in under two weeks everything was done.

I did 1/3 to the contractor on demo day.

1/3 to contractor after hanging the cabinets.

The final 1/3 when it was all done.

The cabinet people required a 50% deposit for delivery and 50% for the granite. Then I paid the rest within two weeks.

Honored Contributor

On 10/19/2014 happy housewife said:

What I don't understand about the original story here - there are various grades of everything from flooring to cabinets to grades of granite - so how could they give you an estimate on the job unless you either have already made your choices OR the contractor accompanies you to the place where you make the choices to be certain you stay within the grade he quoted or that you understand (in writing) that the choice you made adds --extra dollars to the price, and you agree to that extra and sign off on that. Plus I don't think you have to be a rocket scientist to know not to pay the entire amount of the job up front - who would sign a contract that doesn't include how it is going to be paid for ?

I recall going to the kitchen designer's office to make our choices and I looked at a set of cabinets he had sitting there that were soooo beautiful - he said it's best not to look at what you can't afford(laughing) and directed me to a different area where the ones that were within my budget were located. Once you are given a price that doesn't give you carte Blanche to just pick any thing you see at the showroom - you have to stay within the choices that suit what you were quoted.

Well Happy Housewife I can tell you are truly a "ROCKET SCIENTIST" from many of your past posts -- BUT I will say YOU are rude and your comments are un-warranted. I am far from "stupid" as you imply.

Let me state again in case you have trouble understanding my post since it was long: I met with the contractor's kitchen designer at THEIR showroom who gave me the figures and showed me both the level of granite and cabinets included in the FINAL quote, my choices were based on these selection of cabinets as shown to me by their kitchen designer. As for the granite, of course, you need to go to granite yard to select but you also select on the "cost or level" allowed, which I did.

My kitchen is a small galley style with only 7 cabinets and a total of 14" countertop (each side of stove) and 11" & 26" (not including sink area on the other side). We're not talking a HUGE remodel. I already had new flooring put in last year. And I already have a electrician & plumber if needed.

AGAIN in case you missed it: I made several trips to their showroom -- NEVER THOUGHT I HAD CARTE BLANCHE as you say (foolish statement).

I paid on the agreed amount I was proposed without any unforeseen things during remodel. When the kitchen designer called she just wanted me to come in to sign off on the final drawings, nothing was said to me regarding anything else.

As for paying up front I spoke to his other clients who were quite satisfied with his work and they did pay in FULL prior. (Must be a FL thing).

As for your comments, they certainly were not helpful as you are obviously a "person" who knows everything and your advice certainly is not welcomed as it was RUDE.

OH AND BY THE WAY: THE POST WAS TO ASK FOR ADVICE OR OTHERS WHO HAD SIMILAR EXPERIENCE - i think you need to think before you post!