Respected Contributor

Cell phones in public places

Do you talk on your cell phone in a restaurant?

Don't worry, be Happy!
Honored Contributor

Re: Cell phones in public places

I talk on my cell in public places - however, I do not find it necessary to shout into my cell phone.

Esteemed Contributor

I see no reason to be on my phone in a public area. I do not want to hear other people's conversation so I do not use mine inside a building. If I need to make or take a call, I go into the hall or outside. Everywhere I go people are talking loudly on their phone, it makes me nuts!

Honored Contributor

No, it's rude.

Honored Contributor

I have never talked on my cell phone in a restaurant, although I have answered a text message. I did use my cell phone in the hospital lobby yesterday to call my husband, so he would know where to find me, as we waited on a patient to come out of surgery. I rarely use my phone for the purpose of actually talking.
Respected Contributor

It is only rude if the person is shouting into the phone. Otherwise, it is just another conversation between 2 people, that you overhear in a restaurant.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

If that person is me or with me, I find it rude unless it is an emergency.

Honored Contributor

I make very minimal use of my cell phone when in public. For most things, and certainly for extended conversations, I find I can wait until I'm at home or otherwise in private.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Something odd - my DH will complain to the high heavens about other people sitting in a restaurant or other public place on their smartphones but he will sit there on his tablet, and he denies it is exactly the same thing.

Honored Contributor

I do not make it a habit to talk in public on my cell phone. That's why I prefer to text.

If I am in a restaurant, I would not be talking or texting unless there were some emergency.