Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Wal-Mart faults Tracy Morgan for accident injuries

that is a very typical affirmative defense in answering a lawsuit. In some states, the failure to wear a seatbelt is comparative negligence, which means the plaintiff is partially or entirely responsible for any injuries that could have been prevented by wearing a seatbelt.

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

I'm sure Mr. Morgan's attorneys will see otherwise.

Super Contributor

Both sides were negligent.

Honored Contributor

Well...they make a point...he should have been wearing his seat belt...but that did not have anything to do with the Wal-Mart driver hitting Tracy's vehicle. Had he been wearing seat belts it may have diminished Tracy's injuries....though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

Seatbelts are the law, too. Doesn't matter if how rich or how long your limo is.

The driver is at fault as are the limo passengers who weren't wearing their seat belts.

Respected Contributor

Sounds like the standard legal reaction. Doesn't mean that it's the truth.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

Seat belts are safety belts. The only reason they are there are for the protection to occupants in the event of an accident.

Super Contributor

Wasn't he on his tour bus? As far as I know with motor homes etc...only those in the front cab part require seat belts. Look at it this way, this country thinks nothing of jamming 60 or more kids on School Buses with no seat belts.

Honored Contributor

On 9/29/2014 croemer said:

Well...they make a point...he should have been wearing his seat belt...but that did not have anything to do with the Wal-Mart driver hitting Tracy's vehicle. Had he been wearing seat belts it may have diminished Tracy's injuries....though.

That's what I was thinking. It's hard to see any sort of comparative negligence for him not wearing his seatbelt if the proximate cause of the incident was the WM driver running into his vehicle. If I were to split the negligence I think I'd go 80% to 90% WM driver and 10-20% the injured victim.

Or, more realistically, I'd charge the WM driver for CAUSING the accident (100% responsibility) and give Mr Morgan a citation for not wearing a seatbelt if it is illegal in that state.

Whether he was wearing a seatbelt or not had nothing to do with the cause of the accident.