Respected Contributor

What One Couple Tipped for Bad Service

I thought this was kind of cool. It was definitely a different way of looking at a bad situation. I've been a waitress and sometimes you do the very best you can, but it's still not enough.

Makenzie and Steven Schultz of Cedar Rapids, Iowa hired a babysitter Saturday night and headed to a new restaurant in town to celebrate their wedding anniversary.

What happened next caught the attention of the world.

Their dining experience "sucked," Makenzie later wrote in a Facebook post that has gone viral with over a million "likes" and 150,000 shares. It "took 20 minutes to get water, 40 minutes for an appetizer and over an hour for an entree."

Makenzie told CNNMoney that one couple actually walked out of the restaurant and another ran up to the hostess booth to warn a friend not to eat there.

The scene was akin to something out of a bad reality TV show where the diners are duped.

But the Schultzes looked around and realized something: There was only one waiter serving 12 tables, and he was doubling as the bartender too.

"It was easy for us to say, 'Oh my goodness it's taking so long. I can't believe it,'" Makenzie said. "But I just flipped that and said look, he's working so hard. He's doing all that he can. He just has all these tables."

In the end, they left a $100 tip for the server on a bill of $66.65. Makenzie wrote on the bill, "We've both been in your shoes. Paying it forward."

Makenzie and Steven met when they were both waiters at the Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. in the Mall of America in Minnesota.

They know that sometimes the kitchen messes up or someone calls in sick and it's not the waiter's fault, but guests still blame the server, often leaving horrible tips.

"Steven and I agreed it would feel good to make this guy's night when he would probably be getting minimal to no tips due to slow service," she wrote in the Facebook post that displayed the bill (but omitted the name of the restaurant).

The tip worked out to 150 percent, a heck of a lot bigger than the usual 15 percent to 20 percent most Americans leave.

"I'm just sharing this as a friendly reminder to think of the entire situation before you judge," the Facebook post concluded. "And always always always remember where you came from."

The Schultz family was astonished by how much attention the post received. They have heard from hundreds of people through Facebook, most complimenting them or sharing similarly inspiring stories.

As of Monday morning, they had not heard anything more from the server or the restaurant. They left without saying anything to the waiter because he was busy and they wanted it to be a surprise.

"I hope people just show more compassion for everybody," Makenzie said. "If you can give little or give big, I think everybody's world would be a little kinder, gentler and nicer."

150 percent tip

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

Re: What One Couple Tipped for Bad Service

That is wonderful! Bless the poor mans heart. At least he was working and trying. There is only so much one person can do. Glad they did that for him.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

I bet he was thrilled. What an awesome surprise.

Super Contributor

I think it was very nice of them to do that, and applaud their generosity. I don't agree with taking a photo of the receipt and posting on FB for the world to see and pat them on the back for how generous they are. That seems a bit self-gratifying to me.
Honored Contributor

Wonderful!

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

On 9/29/2014 Chalcedony said: I think it was very nice of them to do that, and applaud their generosity. I don't agree with taking a photo of the receipt and posting on FB for the world to see and pat them on the back for how generous they are. That seems a bit self-gratifying to me.

I don't necessarily agree with that either, but some people share virtually everything on Facebook. I've never had the inclination to do that, but younger family members do it all the time. I doubt if they were looking for pats on the back; maybe they were just hoping to inspire others to look at things differently.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

On 9/29/2014 Chalcedony said: I think it was very nice of them to do that, and applaud their generosity. I don't agree with taking a photo of the receipt and posting on FB for the world to see and pat them on the back for how generous they are. That seems a bit self-gratifying to me.

That's pretty much what I was thinking, too.

I found it kind of cringe-worthy, as I'm the last one for doing a good deed and then bragging about it, but maybe one positive thing is that it will help somebody else understand how hard somebody is working and maybe it's not their fault that the service is slow. I still could never broadcast it, however.

The line about how they haven't heard anything else from the server kind of made me queasy. Really? If there were expectations attached, maybe those should have been written on the receipt too.

But, kudos for the good deed.

Honored Contributor

It's better than someone putting a fake receipt on FB and using sympathy to get donations.

Honored Contributor

On 9/29/2014 brii said:

It's better than someone putting a fake receipt on FB and using sympathy to get donations.

AMEN!

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

Hmmm. Not sure what to think of this. Nice of them to do it, if they really did, but I'm not into the "look how nice we were" aspect of this. I really don't understand why they had to post about this on FB.